Author Topic: New Yak impressions?  (Read 4915 times)

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
Re: New Yak impressions?
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2013, 10:45:46 PM »
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2013, 10:54:48 PM »

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2013, 11:04:34 PM »
And yet it has already quite a formidable K/D

If we eliminate the 227 Yak-3 kills of Yak-3s, the K/D against the rest of the plane set is 1.48/1, which puts it in the top five of non-perked fighters.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2013, 11:23:03 PM »
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2013, 11:47:09 PM »
It's a sweet ride of that there is no doubt.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2013, 10:36:02 AM »
I gave the Yak-7B a try in the Late War MA last night. I found the rockets to be only marginally effective, requiring a direct hit for a kill. Not easy to get direct hits... Still managed to get 3 kills and a couple of assists against a swarm of tanks. When the swarm continued, with fighters arriving to pick the "bomb tards", I grabbed an F6F instead. Kill a few tanks, then embarrass a few fighter jocks. Rearm and kill some more... That, along with several friendlies and dr7 sitting in the enemy spawn... They quit.

The Yak-7B has very limited capability. I believe that the Yak-9T is more effective against ground targets, and with the much lighter 20mm gun option, more capable than the -7B air to air. Indeed, the P-40N is a much better all around fighter-bomber than the Yak-7B. I'll fly it because I like the challenge, but if you really need to kill stuff, 95% of the plane set is more effective, including the Ki-43.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Paladin3

• Copper Member
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2013, 12:03:54 PM »
I did not read all six pages, but is there a reason this bird is not perked?

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2013, 12:11:50 PM »

Sure, performance wise, it's the Soviet equivalent of the Ki-84. However, with less firepower, no bomb capability and no external fuel option, It is notably less useful. Moreover, above 5k, its performance starts to fall off to a status of middling to average. Nothing perk worthy here. It will absolutely not unbalance the arena.
My regards,

Widewing

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2013, 12:13:17 PM »

If you're talking about the Yak3 it's probably because it's got hardly any ammo. Oh, and because the tail is unstable at slow speeds, it warbles so shooting under 200 is difficult.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2013, 12:19:04 PM »
Wonderful little planes.  The 3 is going to be a mainstay in the MA for sure.  There's just not a whole lot to not like about it.  I suppose ammo load, but for me at least that's an incentive.  Maybe it'll make me a better shot.   :pray

I actually like the 7.  Underpowered for sure, but in the fights I had it in it didn't really disappoint for a 40 ENY plane.  It's a bit of a sleeper, imo.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2013, 12:59:22 PM »
Strangely I have found Soviet rockets to be most useful against Soviet tanks. I'll often up an IL2 clean except for rockets and use the rockets to track T-34s, which for some odd reason they are very useful for tracking Red tanks. Once the tank is tracked its an easy kill with the heavy cannon.

I gave the Yak-7B a try in the Late War MA last night. I found the rockets to be only marginally effective, requiring a direct hit for a kill. Not easy to get direct hits... Still managed to get 3 kills and a couple of assists against a swarm of tanks. When the swarm continued, with fighters arriving to pick the "bomb tards", I grabbed an F6F instead. Kill a few tanks, then embarrass a few fighter jocks. Rearm and kill some more... That, along with several friendlies and dr7 sitting in the enemy spawn... They quit.

The Yak-7B has very limited capability. I believe that the Yak-9T is more effective against ground targets, and with the much lighter 20mm gun option, more capable than the -7B air to air. Indeed, the P-40N is a much better all around fighter-bomber than the Yak-7B. I'll fly it because I like the challenge, but if you really need to kill stuff, 95% of the plane set is more effective, including the Ki-43.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2013, 05:43:55 PM »
Strangely I have found Soviet rockets to be most useful against Soviet tanks. I'll often up an IL2 clean except for rockets and use the rockets to track T-34s, which for some odd reason they are very useful for tracking Red tanks. Once the tank is tracked its an easy kill with the heavy cannon.

I've hammered T-34s with 37mm in the Yak... Never got a direct kill. Panzer IV, yes, killed them. The damn T-34 is tough customer. That's why I prefer bombs. That's also why I prefer to "bomb tard" with the F6F or Spit16/Spit8, because I can go from attack to air to air mode instantly and with great confidence that the enemy fighter will be dead forthwith, if they stay and fight.
My regards,

Widewing

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2013, 06:18:23 PM »
What do you think of the Ki-84 or N1K2-J for that role?  Attack transitioning to air superiority fighter?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2013, 07:40:49 PM »
What do you think of the Ki-84 or N1K2-J for that role?  Attack transitioning to air superiority fighter?

I use both this way. I prefer the F6F because it can haul much more ordnance. I prefer the Spit16 because it will get to height faster than either of the Japanese fighters. Expectation of aircraft incoming determines what I fly. Nothing in the game can go from ground attack to air superiority faster than the Spit16, or Spit8.
My regards,

Widewing

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2013, 09:01:21 PM »
Has anyone tried pitting Yak-3 against the 109G-14... or at least encountered a G-14 (Yak 3's most likely equal opponent in the East front late in the war)?

(some stats, for reference)