Author Topic: Yak3 horde, manifestation of newest noob ride  (Read 15999 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Yak3 horde, manifestation of newest noob ride
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2013, 07:10:29 PM »
The Spit 16, LA7, and Yak3 all need to be perked. Not outrageously but enough to thin them out.

Only after the Pony has been perked first :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline shoresroad

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2013, 07:39:40 PM »

All planes better than the P-40N should be perked :)
"Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant."
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2013, 08:04:31 PM »
Yak3 is a nice ride but not some uber plane.  I kill 3 for every one that gets me and I'm not that good.  Fun to fly and it will remain popular but I don't see it unseating any of the top 5 planes once the new wears off.
AMAX  in game

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2013, 08:07:08 PM »
I think the guns will eventually take the noobs away.  The Spits, La7, and Ki-84 have much more to offer someone in terms of firepower and give up little to nothing in maneuverability. 

With that said, I'm not gonna be shocked if a few really good sticks don't make the Yak3 their project and show us what she's capable of.  If you're a good shot and don't spray mobster style, there's not much to hate. 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2013, 08:15:13 PM »
 :rofl I've only run across one yak3 and he ran out of fuel and ditched. I've been looking for one to see how it performs against my fav ride but can't find one.  :devil

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2013, 08:18:08 PM »
:lol I'll 2nd that
Lighten up Francis

Offline Nashorn

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2013, 08:27:06 PM »
I have shot down a few Yak 3's, in my opinion it just depends on the pilot who is flying the Yak, a pilot that can shoot me down in a Yak-3 has a pretty good chance of shooting me down in anything else in a 1v1 situation

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2013, 09:23:50 PM »
Did I misunderstand that Karnak, the Spit16 trying to turn with an F4u will die?  How so, and which F4U?  I was under the impression that the Spit16 will mow any of the F4u's in a turn fight, even with their uber flaps deployed.

How does the Yak3 stack up vs the F4u's in terms of turn circles?

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2013, 09:28:12 PM »

I say lightly perk all the late war monsters, 51, Spit16, La7, D9 etc. much like the GVs just to skew the usage slightly towards more Mid-War planes.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:32:07 PM by TonyJoey »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2013, 09:29:05 PM »
As I understand it the F4U with flaps deployed will easily turn inside a Spit XVI.  The Spit XVI is actually not that great of a turner, just for an aircraft as fast as it is.  The F4Us on the other hand are even faster and turn tighter with flaps out.  Of course against a skilled Mk XVI that is suicide as he'll just go vertical, but newbies tend to over rely on the flat turn.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline shoresroad

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2013, 09:42:37 PM »
I say lightly perk all the late war monsters, 51, Spit16, La7, D9 etc. much like the GVs just to skew the usage slightly towards more Mid-War planes.

I think that is what the MW Arena is for :)
"Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant."
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2013, 09:52:51 PM »
That F4U will spend E like a drunken sailor (or marine) using those uber flaps and rudder. if you're really lucky he'll be one of those idjuts who thinks dropping the wheels is a performance enhancer. That or he'll stall 50 feet off the deck and learn one reason why it was called the "Ensign Eliminator". The F4U is a very capable bird but (like most everything else, but IMO even more so) only if you know how to fly it properly.

Calling the Yak-3 a lack-of-skill-compensator is ridiculous. No noob is going to land 5 kills in it - if nothing else than just because if the lack of firepower.

Perking all those planes will have exactly the wrong effect. The pilots you need to worry about, the veterans, have plenty of perks and won't think twice about spending 3 or 4 to take a Spit or La. The noobs who won't be able to afford it are exactly the people who need those planes the most. I can't think of a better way to discourage new players and kill this game off than to make new players take less capable planes than the vets who can already beat them 19 times out of 20.

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2013, 10:21:21 PM »
people in Yak3s generally seem to want to fight, it's great

I'll take hordes of Yak3s over hordes of P51s any day
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2013, 10:21:58 PM »

I disagree, I fly jugs a lot and when I hop in a pony I can make it do things the noobs could only dream of. The spixteen makes me feel dirty and soiled when I fly it, but I can own everything in the sky. A spit can outperform my jugs on every level (they can even out dive me apparently). The only time I can kill a spixteen is if I'm in another spixteen or in a pony and the other guy is an idiot. Spit 16 should be between 1 and 3 perks. LA7s are another nuance to me. Unshakable little piles of ruskie scrap metal. Perk them a few points as well. Make the ones that want up them just to use as a HO machine think twice about it.

So your logic is to perk every plane in the game?  :headscratch:

The Yak-3s have been a common sight for me, curiously though they usually seem to be accompanied by a spit of some kind. I've been able to sucker quite a few Yak-3s into a 1v1. A P-38 can't match roll but can beat it just about everywhere else. A P-40 has little chance unless it's flown by a skilled pilot (clearly I'm not the right man for the job). A P-47 can give them a good run for their money if the jug driver is patient and waits for the Yak to go vertical. A pony is a Yak's worst enemy. It can outperform the Yak on every level, and in my case I was able to fight off a second Yak with it while testing (only got the kill for the one though).

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2013, 10:24:43 PM »
As I understand it the F4U with flaps deployed will easily turn inside a Spit XVI.  

for about a half a turn..
- TWBYDHAS