Author Topic: Is it time to adjust the difficulty in base capture?  (Read 2255 times)

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
Is it time to adjust the difficulty in base capture?
« on: July 21, 2013, 07:04:37 PM »
Maybe increasing the number of buildings in town that have to be destroyed?
Other options?

When the new towns came into play, they had to be taken completely down for capture,, I'm not sure how much of it has to be taken down now but if it was a higher percentage, it could slow down map rotation a bit!

Jeff
Flying since tour 71.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
Re: Is it time to adjust the difficulty in base capture?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 07:07:47 PM »
... I'm not sure how much of it has to be taken down now but if it was a higher percentage, it could slow down map rotation a bit!

Jeff

Yeah, but so can a good fight!
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 07:15:17 PM »
When the new towns came into play, they had to be taken completely down for capture

And it brought gameplay almost to a stop, changing the dynamics in a bad way.

It's still much more difficult to capture bases than before, even with town requirement of 70(?)% and flag indicator we only have base captures at about half the rate than with the old towns all those years before.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 07:31:43 PM »
Yeah, but so can a good fight!
iif it took longer to capture, there would be more of a chance at a good fight,, IMO.
 70 percent now seems a bit to easy,   Maybe 85%?   Just a thought!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 07:33:49 PM »

And it brought gameplay almost to a stop, changing the dynamics in a bad way.

It's still much more difficult to capture bases than before, even with town requirement of 70(?)% and flag indicator we only have base captures at about half the rate than with the old towns all those years before.
agreed,, I remember,,,, but 70. May be to little these days,,, as the players have gotten better at smash and grab,,, a little more of a challenge couldn't be a bad thing as long as its in small amounts! 

Maybe even different amounts for different maps,,, no clue if that would even be possible!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 07:42:45 PM »
agreed,, I remember,,,, but 70. May be to little these days,,, as the players have gotten better at smash and grab,,,

What makes you think they gotten 'better' at it?
When the new town was introduced, the rate of captures was halved (for the short time at 100%/no flag it was much less) and basically stayed at the same level ever since.
Or to put it the other way around, there is still twice as much combat / gametime per base capture compared to the old towns, and nothing much had changed since the 70%/flag adjustment
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 07:44:45 PM by Lusche »

Offline danmac

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 08:02:18 PM »
I miss the old 110 smash and grab or the 2 wirb town take down

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 08:08:18 PM »
IMO, GVs should be able to spawn directly into town or near it. It's already easy as hell for the VH to be taken down. Might serve to deter those vChemistJoker NOE raids or at least prolong them.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 08:22:16 PM »
Whats the advantage to harder captures?  I would think an impending map win would keep people on longer. If there were 1/2 as many map wins in a week, how would that improve the game?

AMAX  in game

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 08:50:14 PM »
Whats the advantage to harder captures?  I would think an impending map win would keep people on longer. If there were 1/2 as many map wins in a week, how would that improve the game?

a harder capture would take more time and allow for a better window of defense ,,IMO

Flying since tour 71.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 08:56:49 PM »
a harder capture would take more time and allow for a better window of defense ,,IMO

Which will be countered by more radical mission, i.e. bigger hordes.

It's a delicate balance...  if you make base captures more difficult, chances are that the impact on gameplay will be the opposite of the intentions. When at some point the attacker figures that the only reasonable way to grab a base is a giant, annihilating suprise raid, you will get exactly this. And yes, it always can be worse than it now is ;)
At the time we had 100% of town, no flag indicator, the battles for bases had not been longer than today, but actually shorter. They were much likely to be aborted in the face of any resistance, as the chance for a capture radically dropped if determined defenders showed up.

The other danger: Players like to capture bases. They hate to defend. Not all, but the majority. We may don't like it, but it's probably not a good idea to alienate them too much...

And I have to repeat myself, we still have a very low rate of base captures compared to the times of old.  :old:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:59:45 PM by Lusche »

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 09:03:21 PM »
Don't forget, we recently gained the ability to bring town buildings back up by dropping supplies at the town. That's made it more difficult to take bases that have a defender-friendly incoming GV spawn.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 09:10:17 PM »
Don't forget, we recently gained the ability to bring town buildings back up by dropping supplies at the town. That's made it more difficult to take bases that have a defender-friendly incoming GV spawn.

Globally balanced by tying the town and town acks to the strats, thus potentially greatly increasing the downtimes.

The net effect was zero, meaning the overall rate of base captures didn't change notably.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 09:20:26 PM »

Which will be countered by more radical mission, i.e. bigger hordes.

It's a delicate balance...  if you make base captures more difficult, chances are that the impact on gameplay will be the opposite of the intentions. When at some point the attacker figures that the only reasonable way to grab a base is a giant, annihilating suprise raid, you will get exactly this. And yes, it always can be worse than it now is ;)
At the time we had 100% of town, no flag indicator, the battles for bases had not been longer than today, but actually shorter. They were much likely to be aborted in the face of any resistance, as the chance for a capture radically dropped if determined defenders showed up.

The other danger: Players like to capture bases. They hate to defend. Not all, but the majority. We may don't like it, but it's probably not a good idea to alienate them too much...

And I have to repeat myself, we still have a very low rate of base captures compared to the times of old.  :old:

Personally I'd be ok with a bigger horde, as long as the was a big defensive horde there as well.

Hordes NOE, and make a grab for a base. If <---- big question here, defenders should show up and stop the attack the horde disappears and goes else were, more often than not the other front. So a fight starts, and then nothing until the horde is balked on the other front and they sneak back.

Making the bases tougher to grab will discourage the attackers just as much as defenders.

Whats needed is something to make defending a bit more ..... ummmm..... profitable?

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 10:34:29 PM »
Perhaps making Towns a bit easier to capture may make more of a fight. As Lusche points out...it is a delicate balance.
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC