Author Topic: Joystick Impact  (Read 3307 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Joystick Impact
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 08:46:35 PM »
Some spikey behavior of sticks can be attributed to them not being plugged into powered USB hubs.

This doesn't affect everyone, but it certainly does affect some (such as myself when I was using once of the motherboard ports instead of a powered hub).

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 09:09:53 PM »
I played with a $15 twisty stick, the Logitech 3D Pro and had no issues whatsoever, could compete with just about anyone, so I'd vote no. Joysticks do not matter, players do.
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 09:38:30 PM »
I would question my Net connection long before I would ever suspect my joystick, with the days you just cannot miss the other guy followed by the day you cannot hit the broadside of a barn. I suspect this to also has more to do with the person than the equipment.

:joystick:
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 09:49:28 PM »
I played with a $15 twisty stick, the Logitech 3D Pro and had no issues whatsoever, could compete with just about anyone, so I'd vote no. Joysticks do not matter, players do.

I can vouch for this. I've spent hundreds of dollars on my setup and I still can't beat RedBull and his crappy little $15 stick.  :P

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 10:41:18 PM »
Got myself a $20 Saitek Cyborg. No problem beating those with $500 set ups.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
My Saitek X52 Pro flight system hasn't failed me yet, and it's the most durable setup I've ever had.

While I'd love a CH setup, I really don't need one.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 10:53:51 PM »
In the old days with analog game ports, those with high end joysticks did have an advantage over those with lower end sticks, especially if those with the high end joystick had a speed adjustable gamecard.  With USB, joysticks are digital now so there is really no disparity (signal wise) between a high end joystick and a low end joystick.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 01:37:42 AM »
I play with a 6(?) years old Microsoft FF2 stick, no throttle unit, no rudders, no trackIR (using keyboard views), on a 14" laptop and do just fine.

If you have a logitc stick throw it in the bin. I had one some time ago and I could not fly with it. It was way too sensitive and the range of physical motion too limited, so I kept stalling all the time. Saitek stuff seemed better but the one I had broke down. I don't know what I will do if my FF2 dies.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 05:03:11 AM »
I play with a 6(?) years old Microsoft FF2 stick, no throttle unit, no rudders, no trackIR (using keyboard views), on a 14" laptop and do just fine.

If you have a logitc stick throw it in the bin. I had one some time ago and I could not fly with it. It was way too sensitive and the range of physical motion too limited, so I kept stalling all the time. Saitek stuff seemed better but the one I had broke down. I don't know what I will do if my FF2 dies.

Buy mine.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 01:56:55 AM »
CH gear is the best but has the appearance of Mother Teresa :)

I have everything from Trackir gaming chair , top of the range gaming PC

AH is awesome and so am I :old:

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 10:48:23 AM »
In the old days with analog game ports, those with high end joysticks did have an advantage over those with lower end sticks, especially if those with the high end joystick had a speed adjustable gamecard.  With USB, joysticks are digital now so there is really no disparity (signal wise) between a high end joystick and a low end joystick.

ack-ack

I second this.

Caused me to go in my closet & look at the old Thrustmaster MarkII Flight Control System & the Thrustmaster ACM Game Card that I still have--why I don't have a clue--& remember the old days.........................

:D

Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 11:13:47 AM »
I had to go to a cheap Saltek stick after my MSFF2 went bad and there is a difference but not that much . If this stick had more weight it be ok but I think going form a twist stick to peddles was a bigger advancement .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2013, 12:30:17 PM »
The only other thing I could think of would be the USB controller & how good it could handle different USB spec'd devices plugged in the same USB header or PC.

As I understand it most USB joysticks are built on USB 1.1 specs & most other devices today are using USB 2.x or up. So to say this another way, most joysticks use the legacy USB std & most other devices today use USB hi-speed or full-speed std.

I can see some issues potentially coming from a USB 1.1 device plugged in the same header as a USB full-speed or hi-speed device & the USB controller trying to set up the bus speed to the header w/ 2 different USB devices reporting to it, even w/ the USB controller set up in the BIOS to recognize them all.

Tis why I set up all my boxes to read the USB legacy spec & turn off the hi-speed/full-speed capability in the mobo BIOS....since I primarily use this box to play flight sims which means I'm using my CH HOTAS which is built to USB 1.1 std. USB controller sets all headers up to the same bus speed/bandwidth so no speed switching is going on.............which could technically cause some jitters in movements.

Not saying that this will/does happen but I just make sure that it don't....................

:D
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2013, 09:50:04 AM »
I know that a lot of players swear by them but THE WORST joystick I ever owned was a Saitek. Even worse than the suncom which is what I switched back to by the end of the first day. It was the x45 stick/throttle combo. I liked the throttle though, I kept it hooked up, within a year though the only thing still working on the throttle was the axis.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2013, 10:30:13 AM »
Pedals are the thingies you push with your feet. Peddles is to sell buckshee gear :old:

Whilst I'm on the subject brakes are what you stop with, breaks is what happens to anything nice I have :old:
and yes, Zack is awesome :banana:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright