Author Topic: Proper Search & Rescue (after 10 years of simulation)  (Read 339 times)

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Proper Search & Rescue (after 10 years of simulation)
« on: July 29, 2013, 03:42:36 AM »
The next Scenario Battle of Britain has yet another simulation of S&R missions.

First S&R supporting event occurred in 2003 during Kadesh (Suez Campaign) Scenario. Since than it was always simulated by landing close and CM verification. It would be great if we could have proper S&R support in the game, we even have a light plane for rescue on the Axis side Fieseler Fi 156.

Something like ".rescue ID" when you close to the bailed pilot.

This was brought several times. But after 10 years of simulation maybe such a feature can be finally implemented? And it seems that it shouldn't be that hard in terms of coding
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Re: Proper Search & Rescue (after 10 years of simulation)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 07:23:51 AM »
The next Scenario Battle of Britain has yet another simulation of S&R missions.

First S&R supporting event occurred in 2003 during Kadesh (Suez Campaign) Scenario. Since than it was always simulated by landing close and CM verification. It would be great if we could have proper S&R support in the game, we even have a light plane for rescue on the Axis side Fieseler Fi 156.

Something like ".rescue ID" when you close to the bailed pilot.

This was brought several times. But after 10 years of simulation maybe such a feature can be finally implemented? And it seems that it shouldn't be that hard in terms of coding

:airplane: We, the Devil Dogs have executed several search and rescue missions, right under the noses of the Bish and the Knights. Basically what I would do is fly NOE deep inside one country or other, crash land and let the DD's locate and pick me up. We did this by me bailing on the ground, walking to the goon, click on join for whom ever it was, and then fly back to our side and land. We would have 2 or 3 goons spread out on the way back in case we get shot down, then bail, click on join on new goon and on our way!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline jeffdn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 09:26:48 AM »
What is the point of doing that in the Main Arenas? It seems like a lot of work for a feature that many won't use. What is your proposed benefit of the search and rescue? Do you not see how hard a time people have even getting supplies less than a mile from the GV spawn? What makes you think that someone is going to up and fly several sectors to "rescue" your pilot for... what, half of the five perks you just got or something? I don't see it.

If you want it for the purposes of immersion, the only pilots that would get sought out and rescued were those not shot down over enemy territory, i.e. American pilots shot down over the Pacific, British/German pilots shot down over the English Channel, and so on and so forth.

I'm not trying to be overly critical, just trying to get you thinking about all the aspects involved here.

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 10:05:49 AM »
Lets get people into airplanes, and not sitting around waiting an a pick up.

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 10:13:17 AM »
@jeffdn and @HighTone

It is not for MA. It is for SEA.

For example in next BoB scenario there is a complex simulation of S&R

Offline jeffdn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 11:10:45 AM »
@jeffdn and @HighTone

It is not for MA. It is for SEA.

For example in next BoB scenario there is a complex simulation of S&R
Ah, I understand. What would be the best implementation, in your eyes? Flying boats that can "land" next to downed pilots?

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 11:12:45 AM »
What is the point of doing that in the Main Arenas? It seems like a lot of work for a feature that many won't use. What is your proposed benefit of the search and rescue? Do you not see how hard a time people have even getting supplies less than a mile from the GV spawn? What makes you think that someone is going to up and fly several sectors to "rescue" your pilot for... what, half of the five perks you just got or something? I don't see it.

If you want it for the purposes of immersion, the only pilots that would get sought out and rescued were those not shot down over enemy territory, i.e. American pilots shot down over the Pacific, British/German pilots shot down over the English Channel, and so on and so forth.

I'm not trying to be overly critical, just trying to get you thinking about all the aspects involved here.
:airplane: When we get tired of the same old thing, base taking and fur balls, we try to do something different, has no rewards, not why most of us fly in Aces High. Don't think you were being to be critical, just curious. Plus its a "hoot" to fool those guys and keep the goons from getting shot down! I think it would be a good addition to the game to have PBY's which could go and rescue crewman after a CV or Cruiser was sunk! Of course you would have to add the ability to bail from a sinking ship! LOL
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:18:25 AM by earl1937 »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 11:32:42 AM »
No need to spend dev time on it.  It can be easily simulated in the game.  Have downed pilot wait while rescue plane flies to him.  Once rescue plane has landed (or simulated landing time if over water) have the downed pilot .ef and then .join the rescue plane.  The rescue plane then flies back.

For SEA purposes that would functionally get the job done, no?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 12:29:55 PM »
No need to spend dev time on it.  It can be easily simulated in the game.  Have downed pilot wait while rescue plane flies to him.  Once rescue plane has landed (or simulated landing time if over water) have the downed pilot .ef and then .join the rescue plane.  The rescue plane then flies back.

For SEA purposes that would functionally get the job done, no?

We could even have an actual skin of aircraft that did this.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 01:17:28 PM »
We could even have an actual skin of aircraft that did this.

:airplane: Great pic's, but how easy would that to be seen looking down on that blue water? LOL

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 01:37:32 PM »
Wow this skin is like

SHOOOOT MEEEEEE!!!!!  :x :x :x :x :x

Which reminds me the Rescue skin from old good AH1 days of Kadesh event:

(BTW the rescue role was the coolest for me during that event)

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 11:52:56 PM »
:airplane: Great pic's, but how easy would that to be seen looking down on that blue water? LOL

Besides the glowing red icon attached to the aircraft already? :devil

Hey they want the option to search & rescue & this is how it was done.  :aok

Here is a photo.

http://www.ww2color.com/nennius/webapps/slides/slides.php?action=update&primary_key=10776