Author Topic: Fighting in the hurricane Mk-2  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Nashorn

• Copper Member
Fighting in the hurricane Mk-2
« on: July 29, 2013, 08:45:28 PM »
I have been flying the hurricane recently with the 8 303's (the lightest gun package) yet am having difficulty getting kills in it, especially against other turny birds, I would figure at 20 ENY the hurri would be a lot better than it is, any pointers?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Fighting in the hurricane Mk-2
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 08:51:18 PM »
Take the 4x20mm loadout.

That's why it's 20 ENY.

There is a reason they moved from .303 rifle calibers on up to cannons. The rifle calibers were just too ineffective.

For basic AH purposes, don't forget that the guns' kinetic impact diminishes over distance quite drastically. For the .303s on the hurricane you can make quite short work of even the toughest planes, but you have to get in CLOSE. 150 yards close. Where .50cal work very well at 300 yards, the .303s are already losing a lot of their punch. Not to mention you need to get as many on target in the same spot as possible, that means the closer you get the less dispersion you get, and you actually damage the plane.

Further, if you fire from a longer distance, you run a greater chance of raking the plane from stem to stern. With .303s this does almost nothing.

I got 8 kills defending a base from a CV capture attempt once, killed F6Fs, FM2s, F4us, SBDs, etc, all without reloading in a hurricane mk.1 with the 8x .303 loadout. I did this by getting in close (150 or less if possible) and firing a good solid 1 or 2 second burst in the same spot.

I hope this VERY general list of comments helps you out. Other than this, you really should just take the 20mms.

P.S. With the .303s it should go without saying, but I'll say it: Set them ALL to the same convergence, and shoot AT that convergence. You need EVERY bullet to hit in the same spot. You can't set convergence to 600, then hit the left and right wings of your target separately... If all the rounds hit on one wing it might be just enought to take it off, but if half hits each wing it's still able to fly off with both wings intact. Set convergence to NO MORE than 200 yards (I strongly suggest 150) and maneuver for kill shots that get you TO that convergence distance. Don't shoot at 300. Get to 150 and shoot at 150. It makes a major difference with .303s.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:58:43 PM by Krusty »

Offline Nashorn

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 08:56:56 PM »
are the 20mm really worth the close to 1600 lbs extra?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 09:04:23 PM »
Combined with the very tight turn rate, yes. Even with that weight the Hurr2c still outmaneuvers most planes.

It's underpowered in the vertical, and it's slower than most planes, so it can be out-run, but in a furball it's still quite maneuverable and "turny" and all that. The cannons really do make the difference.

It woun't out-turn zekes most times, nor ki43s, nor brews. The main reason it's not a massive contender in the LWA is low top speed and lack of power in the vertical. Use it to its strengths and it's good.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:15:30 PM »
Take the 4x20mm loadout.

While I agree with much of what Krusty writes here, we part on this point.

I suppose the IIC has its place, in base defense against a horde or under some other oppressive circumstances.  But it has acquired the reputation of being an easy-mode plane, because it's a forgiving and tight-turning plane (for MW or LW time periods) armed with the equivalent of death ray devices.

The Hurri challenge comes from flying one of the versions that doesn't sport Hizookas.  Of these, the Hurri I remains the "best," in terms of turning and so on.  I'd expected that the 8-gun Hurri II would be better, but there must be extra armor or fuel or something; the Hurri I will beat the II in all fights, so far as I can tell.  I'm going to continue to play with the 8-gun Hurri II to see if I'm flying it wrong.

Krusty is exactly right about convergence.  I set mine to 175 yards.  Take no shot beyond 225yards, you're just wasting your ammunition.  The nice thing about the Hurricanes is that you have the capability to get right behind most other planes and stay there, which you have to do in order to bring them down.  Remember to use your throttle a lot, just like a Spitfire.

One of the most enjoyable sports in AH is to take an 8-gun Hurri - I or II, doesn't much matter - and hunt down the IICs.  The IIC is a real pig when compared to the other Hurri versions.

- oldman

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 09:55:11 PM »
I thought it was 12 guns?

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 09:57:11 PM »
He's not talking about an advanced challenge to himself. He's talking general MA use and wondering why it's so lackluster. Hence my "4x20mm" comment.

Offline Nashorn

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 03:44:21 AM »
advice has helped greatly, set all my convergence to 200 and stopped taking shots past 200, and found it much easier to be somewhat competitive in the M/A

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 07:47:45 AM »
If you want to fly with 8 303s run the Mk.1 it handles better and is not so stiff on the controls. check this video if you havent already and youll see a bit of the Mk.1 in an MA environment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljTWELua41s

The weak motor can be a help to cut angles on better planes and deliver shots that you couldnt under normal circumstances.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 10:22:40 AM »
<snip> yet am having difficulty getting kills in it, <snip>
1 +
are the 20mm really worth the close to 1600 lbs extra?
1 =

2, YES
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 12:12:21 PM »
He's not talking about an advanced challenge to himself. He's talking general MA use and wondering why it's so lackluster. Hence my "4x20mm" comment.

Oh, sorry, I thought he was talking about fighting other turny birds.

- oldman

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 09:39:31 AM »
I think its a two part question sort of. He does say:
<snip> yet am having difficulty getting kills in it, especially against other turny birds,<snip>
I do have to qualify my comment too. When I was flying I preferred the Mk. I but did get in close. ""Did my opponent shave today?" if you can answer that about the guy your fighting, FIRE!!

I reserve that shave comment to the male population you would fight, "No Comment" on the female population you might fight.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54