Author Topic: Luv the dodo's  (Read 901 times)

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
Re: Luv the dodo's
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 10:44:49 PM »
Worse thing I do is trick them into typing ".country 1"  :noid
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 10:50:30 PM »
As a community, we should all realize that new players are the lifeblood of the game we enjoy. Treat these new players with respect and this game will be here for a longer period of time.

I sincerely hope moderators are muting and ejecting players immediately upon seeing any of the crap that can potentially drive players away.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 11:11:36 PM »
Worse thing I do is trick them into going too Crabby Land and show them how weak their bfm is with 50 vs 2  :noid

:salute

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 11:34:06 PM »
I think that it would benefit HTC to make sort of a tutorial showing the player what to do. From GV perspective to plane perspective to even the guns and such.  They can click on each thing "Would you like more information on a Ground Vehicles" etc etc.

Right now many newbies don't even know how to talk, and a troll or joke really isn't what they would be looking for, it definitely wasn't when I joined. While it might be harmless fun, most who do it don't understand that they reflect back on the community as a whole. I think HTC wants their in-game community to be looked on as a community of helpers, not trolls and annoying players.

For the tutorial it could start when they first make the account and the servers are listed, it would give a brief yet informative description of each server from early war to Scenarios.

I think when 2 weekers join, perhaps make a custom squad for 2 weekers only that they would be automatically put into when they go into a main arena. So they are easy to identify, if they wish to join another squad they can simply leave that one and join another. Not hard.

Just some thoughts and opinions.

Tinkles

<<S>>
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 11:44:18 PM »
:salute
he took me to crabland once. 50 lancs vs our 190's.

I've never seen so many bullet holes in my plane before :rofl
also the Ai are the best at E management  :furious
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline madrid311

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 12:37:56 AM »
I for one really enjoyed the research and practice involved in learning this game (Sim). I like to learn the hard way and watch other pilots and listen to coms and figure stuff out. I would think most players would enjoy that aspect of it. Having said that if someone was truly helpful when asked a question then the process could move forward for the noob. I'm a noob, still learning and really want to figure it out my self. I have had some great suggestions from my squad m8s. The best way to go I think. Peace. :aok
Quote from: hitech on Yesterday at 11:15:04 AM              
         I am happy you are having fun. HiTech                                                  
                  In game name : GunFTR

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 11:41:48 AM »
Too bad most of them don't read the forums so this is just wasted internet space.  ;) A nice arena message might go a long way. "We are seeing increased numbers of new players, so try your best to help them and welcome them into the game." or something like that.

That's a great Idea :aok

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
Always a good idea to help the new guy.  The one thing I have noticed is new guys that give a direct targeted question like 'How do I select bombs?' seem to get the best responses.  People who ask in generalities or are looking for an easier way 'How do I remove cockpit?' are the ones that mostly tend to get the dolt answers.

Everybody was a newbie once, unfortunately every newbie in pretty much every online game I've ever seen gets dumped on when they ask for information.  I know myself I occasionally ask some really basic, basic questions when I get into areas of the game I don't normally work in like what specific system messages mean when you blow stuff up on the ground or whatever.  I have the knowledge of the game to weed through the sarcastic answers, but the new guys don't know any better.

I do think there are questions that the best answer to it is 'Go to the TA.'  I agree though that an explanation of how to get in contact with and set up time with a trainer in the TA would be extraordinarily helpful for those people.  Some people are not good teachers.  I know for a fact I am one of them.

I for one really enjoyed the research and practice involved in learning this game (Sim). I like to learn the hard way and watch other pilots and listen to coms and figure stuff out. I would think most players would enjoy that aspect of it. Having said that if someone was truly helpful when asked a question then the process could move forward for the noob. I'm a noob, still learning and really want to figure it out my self. I have had some great suggestions from my squad m8s. The best way to go I think. Peace. :aok

For myself, when I was new and not quite new, an hour or two here and there with trainers did more for me than weeks of mucking around on my own in the arenas.  At the time, I didn't know what I didn't know and they got me thinking of things I hadn't considered.  YMMV of course.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 12:49:20 PM »
It can't be all *that* bad....right? My first year or so was without any incident with jackdonkeys. Everything I learned was from experimenting and experience, never visited the TA until I got curious long after I passed the newbie stage, and I rarely asked questions. Just flying and learning is part of the experience in AH, and I can't imagine people who are that short tempered that they can't handle the first hundred or so deaths without taking it as a learning experience. If anything, asking people just makes you a worse pilot, assuming you ask the wrong people (which there are plenty of).

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 12:55:42 PM »
On the positive side.  I have gotten loads of great advice, here, the TA and in the MA.  Lots of good people here and in the TA and the MA. 

DA, not so much.  I would recommend newbies avoid the DA and Ch 200.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 12:56:36 PM »
On the positive side.  I have gotten loads of great advice, here, the TA and in the MA.  Lots of good people here and in the TA and the MA. 

DA, not so much.  I would recommend newbies avoid the DA and Ch 200.

DA lake is nothing but newbies and squeakers for the most part.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 01:00:37 PM »
Good post.  We were all there at one time or another.  If we want young targets to grow into mature opponents, make it easy for them to learn the ropes.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 01:25:40 PM »
The TA is a wonderful idea. If only they could speak my language... Back when I started we used to do the training on the H2H arenas with a Finns only -sign. Anyone who couldn't speak our language was mercilessly kicked out  :D That was our training arena, the lessons of which we then tested on the FFA H2H arenas before making ourselves ridiculous on the paid Main Arena. But seriously, if someone asks how to start the plane engine, LWMA is not the place to fill the radio buffer with Flight Basics 101.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2013, 01:28:50 PM »
LWMA is not the place to fill the radio buffer with Flight Basics 101.

True.  A quick PM, possibly with explanation how to .r included as well as pointing them at that if they need further help goes a lot further and takes about the same amount of time as browbeating them.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, 02:49:05 PM »
I have always tried to help new players both here and previously in AW.  In fact my desire to help other players led me to applying for and becoming a Game Assistant in AW; I really enjoyed the role as apart from being a 'visible presence' in the arenas, meaning players were less likely to 'misbehave', I was there to 'assist' players - new or old - by answering any questions they had and enabling them to make the most of the game.  Sadly, shortly after EA took over, our roles were taken over by paid employees of EA in an Indian call centre!  :(   I realise anyone can help others and we did in fact fight back by creating our own independent group of helpers which lasted the remaining time before the plug was finally pulled on AW.  That is one aspect of the game I really miss, but I still do help when I can.    :old: 

Flos aka AWARHelen in AW  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun