Author Topic: Need some help with stick settings  (Read 1016 times)

Offline MadBull

• Copper Member
Need some help with stick settings
« on: July 23, 2013, 05:05:57 PM »
So I have slowly started playing again after almost 10 years.

I dusted off the old x-45 and been about as good as any noob at getting shot down.

Now the problem. I have always had arm and hand tremors and in my progressing age it just slowly gets worse. The harder I try to do something the more I shake so needless to say in a dogfight I seem to be getting the " Don't move your controls so rapidly" message trying to shoot.

I have been messing with the sliders bit by bit but I was wondering if there was anyone else with my condition that may be able to post a pic of their settings to help me get it dialed in.

On the plus side it's a real Hoot to watch my try and east peas without mashing them.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Need some help with stick settings
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 05:33:21 PM »
Madbull

I have problems with my hands also,not shaking like you but I have difficulties holding things.

You could try enable scaling and work from left to right,0 being the initial input. You can lower the sliders and work your way up in a stair step or parabolic curve.

I would think though that by increasing dampening and adding some deadpan you could solve the problem you have with just those 2 sliders and not need to enable scaling,or use it also the choice is yours.

Deadpan will increase the size of the centering of your stick,think of it like a dime as you add more it grows to a quarter and then a half dollar,ETC. This will allow you to find center easier,then add some dampening so the movements aren't to jerky and I think you should be able to resolve your problems.

I'm usually in the TA between 9pm and 11 pm est, I wont be on tonight but hope to be on tomorrow,if you look me up I'm sure I can help you smoothen out the responses of your controller.

I often find player who've been around for years and even they could use some help sorting out their JS...... Ya Joe I'm talking about you!! :neener:

If you search back in help and training you should find numerous pix of others scaling settings,could try hardware and software section also.

:salute

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 06:48:39 PM »
Me too, I got the jitters.  Using the advanced scaling will help.  Watch your hand when the pressure is on for a quick move.  That might be what is getting you as your hand jitters to make the move.  Practice will help a lot.  I switched to a  Hall effect joystick T16000.  Although it want stop it, it will not add to the problem like a dirty or cheap joystick pot.

Ask your doc about drugs such as Mysolin to help smooth out the edges. 

It is real irritating when it happens but in time, it will not happen as often.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 10:19:34 PM »
Set enough damping so you don't trigger the message. Try the default scaling too but it's the damping that will negate the jitters. You want to be flying to set damping. You won't get that message on the runway. Increase damping until you stop getting the message. The stick response will be slower but you should be able to fly without locking up. Let us know if that doesn't work for you.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 10:21:13 PM by FLS »

Offline MadBull

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 05:49:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies I will be sure to try them out.

This community has always come thru when truly needed.

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 06:06:11 PM »
MadBull,

I understand what your problem is with the joy stick. Your original post was on point.

I will try to duplicate your problem with my joystick and then set damp, dead zone and scaling to minimize this.

Then I can give you all the settings.

If anyone else wants to contribute please do so.

Perhaps we might find a joystick "set up" that could be of great help.

PS - you said "I dusted off the old x-45"...it is possible the joystick is just worn out/gone bad. I have the logitech extreme 3d pro available at walmart for about 30 bucks. Consider a replacement. You can look at the sticks zeros in control panel under game controllers. If it is jumping around here its a bad stick for sure.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 06:14:10 PM by Agent360 »

Offline MadBull

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 06:50:26 PM »
Nah the stick is still good the zero's on the control panel was the first thing I looked at when I started playing again just to make sure I didn't need a new stick. By "dusting off" I meant i got it out of the garage where it had been sitting since I quit playing 8 or so years ago.

It is this stupid medical condition I've had since I was born it's just getting worse as the time goes by.

I've been playing with the settings and I'm getting closer. But the more the adrenaline gets pumping the more I shake so it's hard to try and simulate during practice offline. It gets so bad sometimes after strenous work I can hardly hold a ink pen and write my name because of the shakes.

I tried jacking myself up on 5 hour energy and coffee and that came close but my wife went ballistic cause I wouldn't shut up or stop buzzing around. :x

The things we do to be good at a game LMAO.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 09:27:37 PM »

It is this stupid medical condition I've had since I was born it's just getting worse as the time goes by.

Me too.  The shakes got me out of a speeding ticket when I was young.  Others seem to notice more than me.  That mysoline helps a great deal and the only side effect for me is I sleep better.  Ask your Doc about it sometime.

Got the message on the movign the stick tonight but had not got it for some time

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 09:56:51 PM »

Try this to start. You'll notice the scaling is creating a dead zone. You might even place the 1st 2 sliders in same position, Each axis will have same type of curve but may start out at different positions. The lower you start curve, the less sensitive it is. Note the last 2 are same.
luck
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 10:58:25 PM »
Madbull have you considered flying with a yoke instead of a stick?

Offline MadBull

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 08:43:22 PM »
Ya know I guess I haven't even thought about a yoke. I wonder if that would help.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 10:04:46 PM »
I don't use yoke myself but I believe there is no spring centering so they stay where you put them. That may make it easier to have a lighter touch on your controls. If you can support your arm and wrist and don't have to hold a stick in place you might transmit less jitter to the controller.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 09:33:54 AM »
Is there a thread that has screenshots such as the one "made" has posted on this thread?

If not, making a sticky thread in the help areas of the forum with the title "stick settings" or such would go a long way toward helping new pilots.

The stick settings have a big impact on how well a plane can be flown and I feel we lose a lot of "two weekers" because they don't have a guide that can help suggest some settings other than default that might make flying here a lot more fun.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 10:24:17 AM »
The default stick settings are a good starting point for new players. I don't believe we've ever lost a new player because he only tried the default scaling.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 04:54:59 PM »
So I have slowly started playing again after almost 10 years.

I dusted off the old x-45 and been about as good as any noob at getting shot down.

Now the problem. I have always had arm and hand tremors and in my progressing age it just slowly gets worse. The harder I try to do something the more I shake so needless to say in a dogfight I seem to be getting the " Don't move your controls so rapidly" message trying to shoot.

I have been messing with the sliders bit by bit but I was wondering if there was anyone else with my condition that may be able to post a pic of their settings to help me get it dialed in.

On the plus side it's a real Hoot to watch my try and east peas without mashing them.

You can do a search of the training forums for the screenshots I've posted of my stick scale or you can go the AH Trainer's files and download the stick scale from there.

ack-ack 
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song