Author Topic: Help for Protential New Players  (Read 2482 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Help for Protential New Players
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2013, 10:04:38 AM »
If you just look at the badly outdated .command page you can see why the younger generation finds the learning curve steep.  Not to mention the .command interface itself should have been done away with a long time ago.

At least HTC have a page with the complete list of dot commands.

All dot commands available to you are up to date simply by typing .help

But what . commands do you feel you must use? Almost all of them have a GUI to go along with them.

HiTech

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2013, 10:38:19 AM »
But what . commands do you feel you must use? Almost all of them have a GUI to go along with them.

The ones most used by me which don't have a GUI

.dt  (this is the most difficult and confusing for new players by the way, especially when trying to get strat downtimes, as the country numbers are not consistent)
.salvo
.delay
.target

the first three are being used very frequently.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2013, 11:21:57 AM »
All dot commands available to you are up to date simply by typing .help

HiTech

HiTech thanks for asking the question.

Lusche has a good reply so I will just add to his reply.

dt command is one of the more complicated ones with its odd format that is not overly user friendly.  The web page should have a smartly laid out page that can be printed for reference while playing online.  You might consider deleting the .commands that have GUIs to make it less complicated.

This reminds me of the map clipboard page. A new person has to dig to find the good color, numbered maps.  They should be standard.  And the map should be a page on the clipboard for reference, not a attached tab.  Old timers might remember which is fighter hanger 2 but a new person needs to have a good, useable, quick-look  reference.

I started in December.  It took me quite some time to find good information.  Without the forum, I would have never found out all that I needed to know.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:30:17 AM by Randy1 »

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2013, 12:29:10 PM »
I only just started playing AH this summer. I've found it to be a source of stress relief, and at times a source of palm sweat and abusive language.  :bhead  :joystick:

I've learned the game through various sources, mostly online videos and trial and error in-game. I've been informed multiple times (upon asking like a noob) that there are trainers available in the TA but they are volunteers and not always available when I'm ready to jump online. For me the LWMA WAS my training arena; it just so happened that training used live rounds  :(

Apart from the basics of flight which is THE most important aspect of this simulation because the physics in this  WWII combat sim are unlike any I've played before (IN A GOOD WAY).  I found it very helpful to fly offline without the threat of being shot down. It allowed me to practice AND shoot down some aircraft, so I'd bounce back and forth until I had a good feel for a one or two aircraft.

I fly Knights in the Late War Main Arena (LWMA), and over time if you are a new player, and ask politely on range usually another pilot will help you out. The best training I've had thus far in game has been by joining larger missions and emulating the other players. Don't underestimate the practice that comes from attempting to fly in formation (even with the .wingman auto-pilot command at times). The  :aok BEST :aok way to help a new player and retain them as a subscriber is to make their experience enjoyable. Take 20 minutes to speak with a new player AND fly with them. If a player is sticking close to you, don't get upset that they are following you, use them, ask them to stay high and watch your six where it's safe but they still feel as if they are PARTICIPATING.  :airplane:

As with me, it was the interaction with other real players which got me hooked. If it weren't for the "Renegades" squad and all the help TripleS, Dragger, 999000 provided me, I doubt I would have renewed my subscription.  :bolt:  Having the guys which I felt were "good players" tell me good job, or thanks for getting that guy off me made me tell my friends outside of the game how much fun the game was.

As for the OP, The forum is always a good place to find information, IF you can find it among the irrelevant postings... For me it was watching videos online, mostly VuduVince's, and then back to the forum/website for more complicated information such as .dot commands, or building hardness (how many bombs to destroy), etc.

1. Identify new players
2. make an attempt to engage them positively,
3. Provide impromptu training in form of Q & A
4. Mold them into Aces!
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2013, 12:37:13 PM »
Good advice, DubiousKB.

Now, if only we can put pressure on the abusive jerks in the game to be more polite to other players, we would have a better chance of them not running off new players.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2013, 01:00:23 PM »
Great post dubious! It great hearing from a newbies perspective. My dad is giving the game a go. His biggest frustration is not having the basic info readily available. Grantedhe is in his middle 70's but I had him down to play on my second computer so we could both fly and chat without using the radio and annoying the heck out of others on the channel.

Turns out he was missing a bunch of little tricks I use when bombing. He asked where i found this info, and I had to admit that I had to hunt foremost of it. Knowing where to look for the info makes it easy for me, but for a new guy there are to many sites and the information is all over the place even when its on the same site.

Helping players would certainly help as well as getting the A holes to shut up and leave them alone until they can handle it.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2013, 02:47:19 PM »
If you just look at the badly outdated .command page you can see why the younger generation finds the learning curve steep.  Not to mention the .command interface itself should have been done away with a long time ago.

At least HTC have a page with the complete list of dot commands.

Add to that the confusion over having a "Help" page and a "Training" page that seem to overlap.

Add to that outdated plane information.

:airplane: Randy, go to AH home Page, click on training help, then scroll down to downloads, there is a one page quick reference, which I use myself and find it quite helpful at times.
Click on "One Page Quick Reference" and print the page on your printer for reference!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2013, 02:56:08 PM »
Been playing at least a decade, LOVE the game and the ONLY command I have ever used is the .salvo.....lol
I really am a number dweeb! <S> Remember the guy who won was the one who had fun.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2013, 03:16:34 PM »
Been playing at least a decade, LOVE the game and the ONLY command I have ever used is the .salvo.....lol
I really am a number dweeb! <S> Remember the guy who won was the one who had fun.

don't forget .lazer50cals   ;)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2013, 04:08:18 PM »
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2013, 04:19:16 PM »
HTC staff might be to close to the problem.  To them it is obvious and straight forward I am sure.

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2013, 09:17:35 PM »
Nah.......just jump into a plane or gv.........shoot good guys 1st, find out that's wrong,,,,,,up again...die....up again ........die.....they will get better over time.......put their big boy/girl panties on let them learn on their own. Problem now days everyone wants everything on a silver platter. If they really like the game (which 50% won't, cuz it's not easy like XBOX) they will stay, if they don't like it the door is wide open  :bolt:
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2013, 09:23:27 PM »
Nah.......just jump into a plane or gv.........shoot good guys 1st, find out that's wrong,,,,,,up again...die....up again ........die.....they will get better over time.......put their big boy/girl panties on let them learn on their own. Problem now days everyone wants everything on a silver platter. If they really like the game (which 50% won't, cuz it's not easy like XBOX) they will stay, if they don't like it the door is wide open  :bolt:

It doesn't hurt to help them out. Just because you didn't give help or have some emotional issues doesn't mean that others don't deserve the help. Personally, I wouldn't mind Aces High getting some more players.

Tinkles

<<S>>
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2013, 11:07:46 PM »

Wow. I guess going to school or having a trainer  is considered having things served on a silver platter now? Lol

hey, get your own gold medal. You dont need a trainer lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.