Author Topic: Is it possible to bring AH graphics engine up to par?  (Read 9176 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Is it possible to bring AH graphics engine up to par?
« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2013, 01:02:35 PM »
Unfortunately, no.  I was assigned to tanks and didn't see any airplanes.

Well, no big deal. It was fun and for someone that sees so many things as 'just like it was yesterday' this seems so long ago to me now.

Must be the way time moves on the internet.  :)

Brooke,  :salute :cheers:

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2013, 02:01:07 PM »
Arlo I still have all my AW films from K51--on floppy discs LOL! No shizzle!
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #197 on: August 15, 2013, 02:34:15 PM »

As a scenario K51 broke new ground in so many ways..........

Only problem I had with it was Nomads on my 6!
Ludere Vincere

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #198 on: August 15, 2013, 07:19:49 PM »
Playing in the MA should serve well as an object lesson for your kid that things aren't always fair. :)

It's a lesson I wish more of the grownups in this game had learned earlier.

Wiley.

Oh absolutely....that is one of the reasons why I let him play!

Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #199 on: August 16, 2013, 05:45:38 PM »
This is not an indictment against said Muppet, who had no idea how long the kid's been playing and likely wouldn't have cared even if he did!  Nor would I in a similar situation.....red guys are red guys (and they all must die!).
Years ago I was hanging out between fields at about 13k when an La-5FN came by at about 10k.  I dropped in on him and splattered him with my quad Hispanos, then climbed back to 13k.  A bit later another La-5FN came in, same player, same result.  And again.  This wasn't a fight and my firepower was ending it so fast there was no learning going on.  I have no idea why a brand new player had picked the La-5FN, but I figured it wasn't very nice for him to fly all that way only to die within 10 seconds of being engaged so I landed and went elsewhere. 

In retrospect I probably should have stuck around and just limited myself to my .303s to give him some time to try things.

My point, however, is sometimes it is good to pay attention to who you're killing and if you find yourself repeatedly clubbing a baby seal, perhaps a change on your part is warranted.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #200 on: August 16, 2013, 06:10:12 PM »
Years ago I was hanging out between fields at about 13k when an La-5FN came by at about 10k.  I dropped in on him and splattered him with my quad Hispanos, then climbed back to 13k.  A bit later another La-5FN came in, same player, same result.  And again.  This wasn't a fight and my firepower was ending it so fast there was no learning going on.  I have no idea why a brand new player had picked the La-5FN, but I figured it wasn't very nice for him to fly all that way only to die within 10 seconds of being engaged so I landed and went elsewhere. 

In retrospect I probably should have stuck around and just limited myself to my .303s to give him some time to try things.

My point, however, is sometimes it is good to pay attention to who you're killing and if you find yourself repeatedly clubbing a baby seal, perhaps a change on your part is warranted.

Sometimes when I find these 'newbies' I get on their 6 and just stay with them.  Some have surprised me, but most just auger into the ground forgetting that they are low :lol

But I agree, if you are the one getting kill after kill and the one you are killing is the same guy, a good chance that they are new or inexperienced in that plane or in general.  In my opinion, that is where it falls to the more experienced player, to make the next move. Of giving them a chance, or smacking them down again.

Tinkles

<<S>>
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #201 on: August 16, 2013, 06:22:12 PM »
Years ago some of you guys would have invited that newbie to the DA to help him instead of repeatedly smacking him down or enjoying watching him repeatedly auger.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #202 on: August 16, 2013, 08:23:28 PM »
Years ago some of you guys would have invited that newbie to the DA to help him instead of repeatedly smacking him down or enjoying watching him repeatedly auger.

:aok

Did this the other day in the DA (so no invite was required). I was flying low over furball lake in an A6m3 trolling to be gang-tarded (it's really a fun way to work on SA and reversals...try it some time...its even more fun in a P39!) when I spy a lone Spit 16 coming in hot and bothered at about 3K.  He saw me and made a diving attack...Which I deftly dodged (yeah yeah, i know...no surprise in being i was in a zeke). I readied myself to see him go up and try pass number 2.  

It didn't happen.  Guy flat turns hard, blows all his e and comes around for a low speed turn fight.  I was able to easily get on his six of course and proceeded to kill him in short order.   :joystick:

Next thing I know here he comes again and lo and behold he does the same thing. So after killing him quickly I pm'ed him and yup...noobus Maximus.   Seems someone back at the base told him the Spitteen is so "über" it can out turn and out fight anything low and slow....especially zekes.    Jeez...   :rolleyes:

I proceeded to work with him for about 30 minutes. Good kid.  Told him to get some additional time with a trainer and to be careful of the advice of some...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:27:12 PM by Fulcrum »

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #203 on: August 16, 2013, 08:30:41 PM »
Back onto the main topic of the OP, perhaps the reason for the dated graphics is simply because HTC lacks the development resources to rewrite the graphics engine? Just food for thought.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #204 on: August 16, 2013, 08:33:57 PM »
Back onto the main topic of the OP, perhaps the reason for the dated graphics is simply because HTC lacks the development resources to rewrite the graphics engine? Just food for thought.

This thread was about the graphics engine?   :headscratch:  Who knew!?!   :D

Heh...sorry.  On that topic...I suppose it's possible but I'm somehow doubting it.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #205 on: August 16, 2013, 09:04:49 PM »

Wait ... that's right - there were indeed media formats prior to CD!  ;)

(This is exactly what technology in the computer age does to our sense
of the passage of time.)

IF HT ever caves and models just the Mig and Sabre for a
Korean arena (which may prove more popular than the WWI arena) I
would like to see you revamp it for AHII.

Deal?  :D

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #206 on: August 16, 2013, 09:55:33 PM »
Wait ... that's right - there were indeed media formats prior to CD!  ;)

(This is exactly what technology in the computer age does to our sense
of the passage of time.)

IF HT ever caves and models just the Mig and Sabre for a
Korean arena (which may prove more popular than the WWI arena) I
would like to see you revamp it for AHII.

Deal?  :D

popular as in it will have 2 players instead of the horde of one?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #207 on: August 17, 2013, 12:28:09 AM »
popular as in it will have 2 players instead of the horde of one?

semp

Popular as in both the Sabre and the Mig are sexy arse jets and a half dozen or so planes already modeled would work in a KW plane set.

It may not reach the steady 100 mark but I'd anticipate there would be a fair following.

Probably stands a better chance than the Spanisg Civil War (unless there's been more of an interest there since I used to promote it regular-like).

P.S. Put cats on the Essex like in that wishlist thread and model Panthers, while we're at it.  :aok :D

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #208 on: August 17, 2013, 03:44:44 AM »

This is what I've been saying all along.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone