Author Topic: a question on video cards  (Read 462 times)

Offline chrish483

• Nickel Member
a question on video cards
« on: August 07, 2013, 04:18:25 AM »
<S> i hope i got this in the right place, 
I have a new Intel Core i5 3.40GHzpc, with Intel HD4000 Video Graphics, thats on the motherboard,   right now im using a NVIDIA Geforce 7950.
is there anyway to switch back and forth on these?   all i know is to remove the Geforce but there must be a better way then this,  the reason for this is that im told there seems to be some issues with this Intel card,
i need to find this myself.
i hate tearing it apart to do this switch, 

TY

SWsmkr

dont know if i posted this before or not but its a cybertron spartan,  http://www.cybertronpc.com/customkititems~kc~gm2102b~group~home~cat~gamers.htm

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 04:30:09 AM by chrish483 »
L.T.A.R.smkr
SWsmkr

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: a question on video cards
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 06:24:07 AM »
Why not disable the Intel video and just use the NVidia video card?  Just curious.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:47:21 AM »
What Skuzzy said. Look in the BIOS settings to disable video. Normally called "onboard video" or something if it's on the motherboard, it may be named something similar for these Intel chips.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 12:02:04 PM »
Actually modern motherboards automatically switch the built-in graphics off if there's a video card installed. I've noticed that even installing drivers for the onboard chip may fail in such case, the installer just informs that there's no device for the driver. The only advantage of using the Intel chip alternatively is some minor energy saving, and even that might not be true if the Nvidia card were seated. Definitely not worth the effort. In laptops they have such a feature, but that'd be hard coded in the bios, I guess.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 12:40:38 PM »
I didn't think nvidea made the 7950 series - AMD?

On any case, I agree with the other posters - use the card.  It will perform better.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 12:56:58 PM »
I didn't think nvidea made the 7950 series - AMD?
Nvidia indeed: http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_7950.html
It's not a brand new toy, but a decent card for AH anyway.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline chrish483

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 07:39:41 AM »
Why not disable the Intel video and just use the NVidia video card?  Just curious.

i used the Intel for a few weeks after getting this PC,  a few of the other guys in the group said that the intel graphics have a problem with this game and SWrokit sent me this G-force  and i havent gone back to it to see if there is any issues using it,   you would probly know that info better then me. 
 ive had this pc apart to many times already,  like to know if theres a "on the fly change" for this,  anyway i think ill just switch over to the intel and leave it that way for a month or two and see what happens.

TY for all the input guys, <S>

SWsmkr

L.T.A.R.smkr
SWsmkr

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 06:57:58 AM »
a nvidia 7950 is close to what's powering the Playstation 3 IIRC