Author Topic: Japan's newest destroyer, the Izumo  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
Re: Japan's newest destroyer, the Izumo
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2013, 07:33:06 PM »
The Izumo 2.0 wont have it as easy as its grandpa in WWII, sailing all the way up the Huangpu-River and shelling Shanghai just off its own harbor in support of the Imperial Japanese Army invading the city.

Nowadays, the Izumo would be instantly perforated by China's supersonic cruise missiles and "DF21-ed" to hell the moment any shooting war breaks out. JMSDF ASW assets are pretty dangerous to China's submarine force and hence priority targets warranting even ballistic missile strikes.

Good Lord, I wasn't aware it had the same name as a vessel that had shelled Shanghai. Talk about a red rag to a bull. The inability of the Japanese administration to see beyond the end of its own nose is staggering.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2013, 10:47:20 PM »
I think it's a beautiful ship, but what a crock to call it a Destroyer.
Japanese constitution kinda forces their hand there, but it is internal Japanese law, not international treaties, at issue, so China and North Korea don't have any grounds to object.

But if pressed, how quickly do you think they could retrofit some onto that ship?
Rapidly I would imagine.  Supposedly it has already been built to support F-35B and Osprey operations.

Good Lord, I wasn't aware it had the same name as a vessel that had shelled Shanghai. Talk about a red rag to a bull. The inability of the Japanese administration to see beyond the end of its own nose is staggering.
Japan seems to do the same thing the UK and USA do, recycle ship names.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2013, 03:15:27 AM »

Luckily bulls don't care about the color of the rag, just the movement.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2013, 05:36:27 AM »
Luckily bulls don't care about the color of the rag, just the movement.

:aok , touche  :lol
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2013, 05:52:23 AM »

You're assuming it isn't intentional.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2013, 01:19:52 PM »
You're assuming it isn't intentional.

I think it is, and quite funny. As long as China owns most of our debt, I'm almost obligated to enjoy seeing them get the one-finger salute.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2013, 02:19:21 PM »
I think it is, and quite funny. As long as China owns most of our debt, I'm almost obligated to enjoy seeing them get the one-finger salute.
Risking being Skuzzied, but Americans own most of our government debt.  China is the largest foreign holder of American debt, but still much smaller than US citizens collectively own.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2013, 03:52:04 PM »
Risking being Skuzzied, but Americans own most of our government debt.  China is the largest foreign holder of American debt, but still much smaller than US citizens collectively own.

True, but I think you knew what I meant  ;).
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"