Author Topic: Event Scorecard Across Frames  (Read 600 times)

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
Event Scorecard Across Frames
« on: August 24, 2013, 10:38:30 AM »
First off, let me say that I (and our squad) enjoy FSO immensely - it is one of the highlights that keeps me playing AH. 
One thing I would like to see though is each FSO event keep a running scorecard across the 3 frames of an event with the point totals posted so that I actually know at the end which side "won". 

The Battle of Britain is a perfect example (and was an absolutely terrific event).  Scoring was as follows:

Aircraft Points
---------------
Hurricane, Spitfire, Bf-109    2 points
Bf-110            3 points
Ju-87, Ju-88, He-111    11 points

Ground Target Points
------------------------
Vehicle Hangar        25 points
Fighter Hangar        25 points
Bomber Hangar        25 points
Ammo Bunker        3 points
Fuel Dump        3 points
Barracks            3 points
Radar            3 points
Gun            1 point

Add to this the 5 points scored for bringing your ride home, minus whatever you lose for shooting down a friendly.

The logs tell me how many fighters and bombers and objects of what type were destroyed, but it would also be nice if points scored were displayed in the logs and a total displayed for each squad and then for each side.   

So instead of:

EagleCH
22:04:05 Departed from Field #62 in a Hurricane Mk I
22:49:53 Shot down a He 111H flown by 68RacrX.
22:52:27 Arrived Safely at Field #63

You have:
EagleCH
22:04:05 Departed from Field #62 in a Hurricane Mk I
22:49:53 Shot down a He 111H flown by 68RacrX.  (11 pts)
22:52:27 Arrived Safely at Field #63 (5 pts)
Score: 16 pts

With subtotals by squad and side at the end.   In this way I would know how much damage "the Few" inflicted on German Bomber Command vs how much bomb damage we took each frame.   

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Event Scorecard Across Frames
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 12:14:36 PM »
Would be cool. But, each event is scored differently and programming the logs to accept different point values would be difficult. Also, there is always someone who bombs the wrong target; so anything destroyed at that wrong target should not be awarded any points. Then there are the times when you can only be considered a "successful landing" at certain fields to get a landing bonus.

There are too many variables between events to allow automatic scoring...at least that's what I'm thinking.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 01:01:41 PM »
I am working up the final scores right now, and hope to have them posted in this forum tomorrow. 

For the mathematically inclined, there will also be links to the spreadsheets that I use.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 03:15:22 PM »
Myself I never look at the final score. The events themselves are why I fly FSO and I could care less who "won". As I see it everyone that participated won. I do check the logs after each frame to see how my squad, my wingman, and myself did, but that's as far as it goes.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Viper61

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 03:22:02 PM »
Im a score guy myself and I like to see who won them.  The scores also serve I believe to keep the sides and setup as even as possible.  A tool the CM could use to make fine tuning adjustments as the frames play out.  And a tool the CIC planner can use as well, if your ahead in the points play more defensive, if your behind then be more aggressive in the plan.

In fact I would like to go back to the old way and have scores posted after each frame even if only "raw" scores.  Just to watch how its playing out.

As an example I suspect the ALLIES lost big time in this BOB set up.  Meaning the setup needs adjusting.  But I'll wait until Dr. Bino posts the scores to comment.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »
i disagree with that observation, viper! This is not a recreation of bob. just because Britain won it back then doesn't mean the allies win each and every time. the axis side had better cover and tactics then the Allied side. If they won it great. if each and every time there was a setup with a given outcome, i wouldn't even bother flying it. its the fun of changing history that keeps me flying this game.

saying that a setup needs to be fixed because the axis won something that they didn't win in history is not what this game is about. its about having fun in an organized event and the fact that history does not necessarily repeat itself. that's the fun of it.

Offline Viper61

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 04:49:41 PM »
Captain <S>

No Sir I in no way implied that a setup should have a given outcome.  In fact over the years in here I am big proponent of the "Even" setup and that both sides should have an equal chance to win.  And that the best scenario's are the ones in which end in nearly a draw.  That's always been my position.  I've never been a "historical reenactor" and I'm dead set against it.  Its game and both sides should have a equal chance to win.

When I posted my comment above it was before the scores were released.  having flown the ALLIED side I knew we were getting beat badly.  Not by a little but beat badly.  Now that the scores have been officially released it shows the AXIS won all three frames by a 2 to 1 advantage in points in each frame.  I have no problem with the AXIS winning any more than the ALLIES winning.  But the point spread shouldn't be that loop sided meaning adjustments should be made.  And it was clear to me and others I flew with after Frame 1 was over.

Like I said I'm a points watcher and I think the points serve to keep the event even or as even as it can be made given the limitations of the game itself and the free and hard work of a few CM's.  I'll gladly fly the BOB again or any other scenario and enjoy them all.  This set up needs an adjustment  :)

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 10:09:42 PM »
Appreciate the comments.

With subtotals by squad and side at the end

We need an overall score by frame to determine a victor but past that it gets very time consuming and we just need to move on to the next setup. The log shows what your squad did for the effort and you can always look at that in more detail yourselves if you like to any degree of detail but that's not a job for the designer.  :salute
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 06:28:19 AM »
Captain <S>

No Sir I in no way implied that a setup should have a given outcome.  In fact over the years in here I am big proponent of the "Even" setup and that both sides should have an equal chance to win.  And that the best scenario's are the ones in which end in nearly a draw.  That's always been my position.  I've never been a "historical reenactor" and I'm dead set against it.  Its game and both sides should have a equal chance to win.

When I posted my comment above it was before the scores were released.  having flown the ALLIED side I knew we were getting beat badly.  Not by a little but beat badly.  Now that the scores have been officially released it shows the AXIS won all three frames by a 2 to 1 advantage in points in each frame.  I have no problem with the AXIS winning any more than the ALLIES winning.  But the point spread shouldn't be that loop sided meaning adjustments should be made.  And it was clear to me and others I flew with after Frame 1 was over.

Like I said I'm a points watcher and I think the points serve to keep the event even or as even as it can be made given the limitations of the game itself and the free and hard work of a few CM's.  I'll gladly fly the BOB again or any other scenario and enjoy them all.  This set up needs an adjustment  :)

<S> i stand corrected! thank you!