Author Topic: unexpected treat: MA server down  (Read 903 times)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
unexpected treat: MA server down
« on: January 04, 2002, 11:54:00 PM »
MA going down presented the CT with an unexpected treat today, where the numbers were up to almost 150 people in the CT. At last, got to saw a huge swarm of fighters in historic match up. The 'feeling' itself was almost good enough  :)

Also, it gave out some interesting answers to few of the questions brought up before current CT launched with its unique settings.

a) The "Default country" and the "illiterate people"

The existence of a 'Default' country certainly proved that people, unless they have particular preference towards a certain plane set or historical admiration, stick to the country they were first allocated. Though the huge numbers in CT was a blast, the numbers were very unbalanced, at one point where it was almost up to 100 axis pilots vs 50 allied pilots.

Also, the majority proved their "illiteracy" concerning the pop-up notices when entering the CT. As I was in the axis side, the radio buffer for very long time was filled up with annoying "why can't I fly my La-7 here" questions repeatedly, up to the point of intimate frustration.

b) does current radar settings distrupt game play?

In my opinion, not quite. If the numbers are enough, it seems people have no problems finding a fight. True, the battles took place in a very small space, only about 50 mile square radius. But contrary to this fact, the radar settings in turn prevented the MA style of small area clogged up with zillion planes scratching their bellies on deck. It was more of a small furball spread out through the entire battle area, with 4~5 planes battling in about every 5~10 mile radius.

c) will people communicate?

As radar settings were tuned down, and emphasis on eye-observation grew larger, people did in fact tried to communicate. They had no other choice. Communications  updates weren't exactly as much 'informative' as radar operators, but still, people shared information on what kind of fight was going on where - some voluntarily, others when requested.

d) SA: reduced range icons + dar settings

This, in particular, also in my personal opinion, was very satisfactory. Many times one would find a fighter behind him suddenly. Especially with icon range reduced, during a heated battle one would find this happening very often if he was not paying attention to the odds surrounding him. There was no safe zone, no 'AWACS' datalink, so to put it, to let people just gaze on the clipboard and figure out what was where.

e) missions

If organized well enough, a mission would actually have a chance to barge through areas of heavy enemy activity and succeed. The recent mission I participated in, was a well planned one. 4xJu-88s, 4x109G-6s and 4x190A8s, assisted by 4~5 other planes which joined up later on made it through heavy enemy activity. While the fighters who were ahead kept checking on enemy positions and kept a look out, the 4 bombers made it to destination in a formation at 10k alt. This sort of thing is needless to say, close to impossible in the MA(and this mission went on  when the numbers imbalance was a bit resolved, about 50 or so Axis and 40 Allied on line. Large scale, well-planned missions have a good possibility in the CT.

f) instant hoardes of Luft "Whiners"  :rolleyes:

People who joined the default country, Bishops(Axis) began to whine continuously, through out the whole peak of the CT game. This sort of proves not only the well known Luft'Whiners' whine about LW planes  :p

People whom it is obvious that they have never ever even the slightest moment flew in 109s or 190s kept whining about how LW plane set was screwed, how they couldn't do this or that in the 109 or 190... kept whining about how they were a 'not bad' pilot in the La-7.. whined about kept on getting shot down... and concluded that it proved the LW planes are screwed. Began complaining even at 2 to 1 number odds, and didn't stop till the end.

Clearly, they expected to fly in the 109s or 190s like they would fly and fight in the MA, and when it didn't work out, kept complaining about it. IMO it's only natural you aren't gonna get any kills, much less survive 3 minutes if you try to fly a certain plane in a way it wasn't meant to be, in a fight it wasn't meant to fight.

In the end, I got so tired of this endless whinefest, and suggested they go to the Allied side where they can find Spit9s there. Funny thing is, they kept on whining, but never left the Axis side.

Is it be because 1) people like to stick with superior numbers? or 2) they still wanted to try out the LW planes more, even though they kept whining about it? I wonder.

In overall, the unexpected problems with the MA gave a chance for people who weren't interested in CT before to taste what it was like. Some may have liked it, and others seemed to hate it. But in some aspects, CT does prove to be in a league of it's own. It has it's own strengths and weaknesses, and certainly very different style of gameplay from MA.

I hope this sparked up lights of interest in many more players, and expect to see more people in the CT soon.

Offline Tuck

• Copper Member
      • http://hometown.aol.com/tuck0006/
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2002, 12:09:00 AM »
hopefully, with the problems people were having with connecting to ma tonight...and as a result they flew in the ct...people will see what they've been missing, and will start playing in the ct more often.    :)

i personally don't give a rat's prettythang for the ma anymore.  nope, you'll find me in the ct.    :D

The Tuckster

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down."
Col. Chuck Yeager, USAAF

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2002, 12:34:00 AM »
Sounds like fate smiled on us tonight.   :)

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2002, 03:38:00 PM »
LW planes has got some small issues, like 109 flap speed and 190 (maybe flap speed aswell) trim controlls. This doesn't change the way you should fight in them though, those who know how to fight in them and fly them on regular basis can rack up kills and get out allive, often followed by bad comments from the spitfires about being cowerd runners who don't dare to turnfight  ;)

CT very very fun though, just wanna try out the rushian front now  :)
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2002, 04:49:00 PM »
Hehe. I was there last night and it gave me an oppty to see what many (whom I refer to as elitists) have been talking about. Quite frankly I could see no difference. I barely noticed the lack of icon ranges and could give a rats behind about that. The gangbanging was in full effect and the conga lines were all over the place. So, I ask myself, what is this elitist crap I been hearing about here on the BBs? Per usual, it is merely spouting off I have concluded. I realize there are those who have estimated themselves as being on some level above others, and therefore their preferences must be above the norm. Hehe, well lemme tell ya, you have gotten what you want, and from an outsiders perspective, I got news for ya <BG>
It aint what you have written chapters about. So, whyn't ya quiet down, enjoy yerselves in yer arena, and keep yer elitist verbiage to yourselves...hmmm?  :)
What HT and Pyro have developed in the MA,is far beyond what we had in either AW or WB. The CT IMO, is a compromise to the demands that some have made. They did not create the MA (which many of you enjoyed) to be an arcade arena(which many of you have wrongly have begun calling it).

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2002, 05:20:00 PM »
Calm down there Francis, I haven't seen anyone making accusations of being better than anyone else. We just prefer to fly somewhat historical matchups instead of the fantasy matchups of the MA. Its not realistic, but its closer than the MA. Sounds like someone is paranoid or has a persecution complex.

A few things I have noticed about the CT that I enjoy much more. People are mostly polite. I haven't had to squelch Ch1 in there yet. I auto-squelch Ch1 in the MA because of all the garbage. If someone has a bad connection and you ask them to check it, most of the time they will, instead of instantly calling you a whiner. I've seen more <S>'s in the CT in the past week than I have ever seen in the MA...

Just a few of the reasons why I plan on spending more time in there than in the MA.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Raubvogel ]

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2002, 06:01:00 PM »
Wow Strider, never knew you were such an amazinhunk.   :)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2002, 08:09:00 PM »
"Elitist"?

elite on.. er.. what??  :confused: ??

Offline Raider_DD

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.devildogs.com
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2002, 08:21:00 AM »
The DevilDogs have never posted the numbers to back up an elitest claim.  That type of thing is largely unimportant to our team.  We will, however, conduct planned squadron operations in the CT as often as possible.

The reason is simple and eloquent, really.  Plane sets and geographical challenges.

Some care has been taken to put the correct aircraft into the arena corresponding to the correct year of the war.  While this is common for scenarios, etc, it answers a real need for a more plausable daily domain in AH.

Those of us that are certainly not elite by the usual measures, have a terrific amount of fun in the CT.

I saw a certain amount of furballing on the deck last night, but not one engagement involved a Zero turning inside and ME 262 (pick your own impossible scenario).

If the CT has earned a reputation for elitism, it is my perspective that it is not deserved.  Time will bear that out, I believe.

<S>

Raider

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2002, 09:19:00 AM »
Don if you did not like the arena then just say so and move along. As for the elitist crap you are spouting off about those of us that choose to fly in the CT. I just don't see it. I see people who are polite and willing to even out the sides and don't make an bellybutton out of themselves like many do in the MA.

Sorry you did not enjoy your time in the CT earlier and hope you find something that will fit what you want.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline sourkraut

• Copper Member
      • http://www.riverrunne.com
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2002, 11:34:00 AM »
Last Friday after TOD was my first time in CT. Had a blast! I thought the balanced plane set was, well, balanced.   :D 'course maybe I just felt a little more confident flying a FW without having to worry about P51D, LA7, or N1K2.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: sourkraut ]

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2002, 11:41:00 AM »
LoL the La7SpitNiki dweebs have no clue how to fly our 109s and 190s!!!  hehe  :)