Author Topic: Gunsights invisible...  (Read 546 times)

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
Gunsights invisible...
« on: August 13, 2013, 03:25:14 PM »
So just downloaded the latest update and logged into the game for the first time in 8 months to see what's new.  Hopped in the new Yak 3 and found I had no gunsight. :frown: tried switching to several different sights and none of them show up.

Then tried several different planes and no gunsight will show in any plane.   :frown:

EDIT: Just checked sights in Wirble and M16 don't show up either.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:33:14 PM by saggs »

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Gunsights invisible...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 03:34:15 PM »
Try going to your preferences and see if the gunsights section has the alpha all the way to the side where the sight becomes invisible. You can move the alpha slider to vary the transparency to your liking.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
Nope, the alpha slider on the gunsights tab is all the way to the left moving it around made no difference.

In every plane/vehicle no matter what sight I have selected all I see is a few fuzzy lines right at the bottom of the sightglass.  I took a screenshot of what I see, I'll see if I can figure a way to show it here.

EDIT:

This is what I see in every plane no matter what I have selected.  Changing the alpha value has no effect on those lines at the bottom either.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:53:41 PM by saggs »

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 04:40:27 PM »
Figured I must have a missing folder or something.  I checked in my Aces High folder and there is a folder there called "sights" date modified 8/13/2013 (this morning when I downloaded the latest version) and all the sights are in there as .bmp files.  Seems like everything is normal, so what gives here??  I'm totally lost...   :headscratch:

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 05:24:08 PM »
Have you tried an uninstall then install yet of the current version?

If this is still the norm after that. It may be time to post a dxdiag to see what your vid card and drivers are. The gunsight mask is a window within a window, and I can see your default.bmp is being rendered but, not 256x256. More like 256x64.

Another test would be to make a copy of the default.bmp. Erase the current gunsight ring and dot. Make sure the background is black. Then dead center place a large red dot and save. Then see if that dot will render in the gunsight mask and where. Post up that picture for us.

Better yet and a lot of trouble. In red draw a line grid along with the center dot of say 1\8 divisions in 5 pixel wide lines. Then see how the dot and grid are rendered along with a picture posted back here.

But first, uninstall and reinstall completely.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 05:53:10 PM »

But first, uninstall and reinstall completely.

Can I do that without losing all my view and joystick settings?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 07:13:31 PM »
Just save your settings folder.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 07:35:14 PM »
Try just deleting the video8.cfg file in the settings folder. The game will recreate it when you launch it. Might not help, but won't hurt to try.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 09:26:56 PM »
Nevermind. I said I wasn't going to do this anymore.   :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:29:58 PM by fuzeman »
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 09:48:49 AM »
saggs, can you do me a favor?  Rename the "Aces High" folder and install a fresh copy of the game and see what that does.  Do not wipe your existing installation out.  I may want it, if the problem goes away.

Also saggs, I need to see a DXDIAG output in the advent that a fresh installation does not fix the problem.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 12:46:09 PM »
Sorry Skuzzy, I already reinstalled without renaming it before I saw your message. I did not delete the old install I just reinstalled it again without deleting anything and that fixed the issue.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 01:25:03 PM »
The default gun sight file is the only file, which would get replaced when you installed the game over the top of the current installation.  This suggests that file had gotten corrupted, somehow.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 06:09:03 PM »
Nevermind. I said I wasn't going to do this anymore.   :)

Scary but I was going to say rename and reload also. VERY Scary when mayonnaise and antimayonnaise think along the same lines.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54