Author Topic: Dot dar in the tower.  (Read 2236 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« on: August 15, 2001, 08:13:00 AM »
I think the CA needs it.  Stooging around looking for the enemy is A. Not fun, and B. Not historic.  (Low alt limit would be still allow NOE attacks.)  Hope this can be implemented in 1.08.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2001, 08:16:00 AM »
As long it djust shows the "sector radar bar"
and not the individual AC "dots" then im fine with this...

Regards.
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2001, 08:26:00 AM »
I'm suggesting that it WOULD show individual aircraft dots, but only in the tower, not in flight.  So, you could be directed to the enemy by someone in the tower, but couldn't use the dots as "SA" in flight.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2001, 08:31:00 AM »
Yeah, Popeye. It would be within the capability of the Brit radar/command & control system of the time as well.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2001, 08:36:00 AM »
Ok let the brits have it but not the LW  :)  :)

<ducks>
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2001, 08:39:00 AM »
The Germans would have the capability shortly as time progressed through Funks scenario. Might as well let them have it too.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2001, 10:22:00 AM »
not to burst your bubble guys, but Freya radars were used for night fighter guiding as soon as in late 1940, and for 1941 the kammhuber line using the Himmelbelt system was already working for the night fighters   :)

so with the setup we have (late 1941-early1942) the Germans should have dot dar too   :D

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: R4M ]

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2001, 10:26:00 AM »
The radar the Germans used was to guide their bombers to targets by triangulating their position...

I don't believe they actually had aircraft detection radar.
-SW

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2001, 10:42:00 AM »
I would not mind radar from the tower. Even more so if the presence indicating bars were off too.

Westy

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2001, 10:54:00 AM »
bar dar is sufficient.  Ozark and myself saw a small red bar near the British Isle.  We headed that way, figured out where he was going by the bar moving from one sector to the next.  We cut off his estimated flight path, and sure enough we got a visual of the bandit.  To our dismay, he was about 23,000 ft and we were about 17,000 ft.  He got Ozark, and got a nice 550 yd shot (I asked what he saw on his FE to make sure I wasn't lagging, he had 550 as well) to take out my left everything it seemed!!  I ran like a little girl and managed to land safely.  We had no problems finding fights in the first few days of the arena being up.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2001, 11:12:00 AM »
what Nifty said.

no dots, just head to center of grid, you'll find them or they'll find you  :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2001, 11:18:00 AM »
I think dot dar within 50 miles or 2 sectors is ralistic (in tower).

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2001, 11:28:00 AM »
S!

By late '41 both sides had radar up and working well.  Controllers would vector Squadrons onto contacts and would actually be able to give them altitudes.  The sector bars are accurate, but another indicator showing approx alt. would also be good.  The individual dots are not realistic.

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2001, 11:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by SWulfe:
The radar the Germans used was to guide their bombers to targets by triangulating their position...

I don't believe they actually had aircraft detection radar.
-SW

German air detection radar was as advanced as british radar, or more, in 1939. If you read R.V.Jone's book "most secret war", you will find that the own british scientifics thought that the germans in many ways had a more advanced radar than their own's. Jones was one of the phisicians working for the Air ministry and helped to fight the german X-Gerat guiding beams during the night "blitz bombings" over UK.

He also helped to develop some of the the British navigation aids for the night bombers. He was by one of the most important men in his work. And I can find for you the quote from his book when he mentions that the German radar in 1941 (wich he got to study first-hand after a commando action wich captured one Freya set from a french station) was quite better than british'.   :)

The Himmelbelt sistem worked with 2 radar sets. One tracked the incoming plane, and other tracked teh night fighter. Using both lectures, the ground controller could give the night fighter very accurate vectors to do an effective interception.As you see, nothing to do with radio triangulation.

And that was since early 1941    :).

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: R4M ]

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2001, 12:02:00 PM »
"The sector bars are accurate, but another indicator showing approx alt. would also be good. The individual dots are not realistic."

Buzzbait,

Are you saying that the ground controllers would vector a flight to, "a radar contact at 15 thousand feet, somewhere in a 625 square mile sector"?

:)

Didn't they have location accuracy more like the individual dots, than the sector bars?

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: popeye ]
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?