Author Topic: Dot dar in the tower.  (Read 2234 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2001, 12:24:00 PM »
How about allowing us to move to HQ and check dot dar over a designated coverage area from there?  Then report out dot locations.  It would be even better if valeys and low alt flying provided a hiding place from this dar, though anything under a fixed alt could be a suitible substitute.

Destroying HQ would disable this function (should take much less ord than currently needed).

Bar Dar would always be up... regardless of HQ status.

Just a thought.

AKDejaVu

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2001, 12:57:00 PM »
It's not so much a question of capability as coverage isn't it?

How long did it take the Germans to set up radar coverage over France and the low countries?

Anyone know?

In any event, it's probably not significant in this situation.

Just give it to both sides and... Play The Game.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2001, 01:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Toad:
It's not so much a question of capability as coverage isn't it?

How long did it take the Germans to set up radar coverage over France and the low countries?

Anyone know?

From the book I mentioned "most secret war", by late-1941 the Germans had a reliable link of Freya stations on the Low countries and the biggest part of France.

Is easy to prove, because the RAF did lot of photo-reconnaissance low-level sorties at that time, with Spitfires to find them and to collect intelligence information for the scientists working for the Air staff   :)

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: R4M ]

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2001, 01:27:00 PM »
That's right, didn't the British copy their radar designs from the Germans? Or was it the other way around? I fergit.
-SW

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2001, 01:33:00 PM »
and who are these "radar operators" who will sit in the tower all nite and vector in ur fighter?

The bar dar is fine, it's different not knowing if the dot u are chasing is friend or foe. Leave the dotted maps in MA.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2001, 01:58:00 PM »
I would sit in the tower every now and then acting as an air intercept controller.

I like the idea of having to go to the HQ to see the radar scope, with maybe 2 or 3 seats for controllers.  I would like to see the dot size increased or the abililty to zoom in on the scope decreased to prevent pinpoint accuracy and make the numbers of craft in a flight difficult to see.  I would also like to have alt added to the readout.

If this were implemnted, I think the dar bar could be removed entirely

Even with all the great things HTC has done, I am still a needy bugger.

F.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2001, 02:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Furious:
I would sit in the tower every now and then acting as an air intercept controller.

I like the idea of having to go to the HQ to see the radar scope, with maybe 2 or 3 seats for controllers.  I would like to see the dot size increased or the abililty to zoom in on the scope decreased to prevent pinpoint accuracy and make the numbers of craft in a flight difficult to see.  I would also like to have alt added to the readout.

If this were implemnted, I think the dar bar could be removed entirely

Even with all the great things HTC has done, I am still a needy bugger.

F.

sounds good in theory but in rl you can't even get someone to goon when you need them.

"I would also like to have alt added to the readout." - why not speed & direction too .. this seems overboard to me

any dar changes should be more towards a radar "net" whereas you could destroy (blind) sections of the coverage, many mini HQ's, if you will, that require less ord to knock down..
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2001, 03:19:00 PM »
I often sat in the tower watching the dar in WB, and vectored friendlies to the bad guys.  (And I was paying $2.00 an hour to do it.)  I thought of it as another interesting (realistic) aspect of the game, and part of the "team thing".
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2001, 03:28:00 PM »
Eagler,

Heading and speed can be infered by watching the "blips" move, altitude is provided by the radar.

I agree wholeheartedly that all of this should be tied to some sort of communications net.  I was just thinking of some place on the map where the controllers could go to have access the the radar scope.  Multiple stations providing limited coverage would be great.  It would add a valuabe strat target.

F.

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2001, 03:31:00 PM »
S!

Read the accounts of the time.

British controllers were able to bring Squadrons into positions where they could bounce enemy aircraft.

The good controllers would sometimes say:  `look below and too your right, and you`ll see them.`   And the pilots would.

Probably something in between the dar bars and the dots on the map is needed.

Maybe a larger shaded area to indicate an approximate aircraft position with height indicated.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2001, 05:11:00 PM »
When I played WB I used to spend a minute or two studying the tower radar after a sortie ended (either by landing or dying  :) ).

I'd broadcast a brief sitrep on country channel and then head for the action myself.

It's not a foolproof system, but it works OK.

As far as info goes, IIRC the did give rough estimates of number, speed, heading and alt. Not always exact, but fairly reliable.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2001, 07:25:00 AM »
I shouldn't have to have somebody else relaying information to me... we can simulate that automatically.  Sure, some of you think it's cool to do that, but even back in WB it was pretty rare.

I shouldn't have to rely on somebody else playing that role to get a reasonable amount of information.  IE bar dars.  Don't force a person into a a role that the computer can do.  Sure... allow a person to do that if you like (maybe with higher accuracy or more info like heading and such), but don't require somebody else to do it in order for me to get the information I need.

I also like Buzz's idea of shaded blobs or something instead of bars to give alt and numbers approximate info.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2001, 10:49:00 AM »
I actually agree to an extent Lephturn.

I think the bar-dar needs to stay in place to give a pilot general locations.  Though, I'd like to see it disabled over enemy territory.

I like the idea of a remote location dar facility for several reasons.  
  • You can pop in right before your flight to see what's going on.
  • Someone else can do this and provide pilots in flight with the info
  • It can be its own screen interface meaning it doesn't have to be tied into the kneepad
Of course, there shouldn't be any distinguishing between friendly and enemy planes on it (no colors) and such... and it should be affected by any bombing of radar facilities in some manner.

So.. provide pilots with a means to get more information without making it available on in-flight knee-pads.  Keep the current bar dar (with above request for modification noted) so pilots aren't totally reliant on someone feeding them info.  That's the way I see things being somewhat realistic and somewhat practical.

AKDejaVu

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2001, 11:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
I actually agree to an extent Lephturn.

I think the bar-dar needs to stay in place to give a pilot general locations.  Though, I'd like to see it disabled over enemy territory.

I like the idea of a remote location dar facility for several reasons.  
  • You can pop in right before your flight to see what's going on.
  • Someone else can do this and provide pilots in flight with the info
  • It can be its own screen interface meaning it doesn't have to be tied into the kneepad
Of course, there shouldn't be any distinguishing between friendly and enemy planes on it (no colors) and such... and it should be affected by any bombing of radar facilities in some manner.

So.. provide pilots with a means to get more information without making it available on in-flight knee-pads.  Keep the current bar dar (with above request for modification noted) so pilots aren't totally reliant on someone feeding them info.  That's the way I see things being somewhat realistic and somewhat practical.

AKDejaVu

Very reasonable post. Nice ideas DJ.

I have decided not to throw you or the other AK's out the window at the convention.
  ;)

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Dot dar in the tower.
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2001, 02:16:00 PM »
You afraid they'll drink you under the table there hb?  Heh.

Good idea Deja, that's basically what I envision as well.  :)