Author Topic: P-51D screaming sound  (Read 3277 times)

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
Re: P-51D screaming sound
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 09:19:41 PM »
...my flute has disapppeared...well regardless that p51d exterior sounds really good... sounds pretty accurate also from the videos i've listened to of a p51... at least when the supercharger is wound up, or its at speed dont really know what causes that whine/scream sound...
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 11:41:36 PM »
It's the air passing through the radiator and oil cooler scoop at the bottom of the plane. It's design allows for a changing exhaust and intake area on the earlier aircraft. In the book Hollywood Pilot it was reported that the Hollywood special effect of the diving airplane was created by either Mantz, or Tallman flying an A36 Mustang in a hard dive. That recording has made it into newsreels to represent the Stuka, and even Piper Cubs about to crash. They had the brakes open, and adjusted the radiator duct for an even more terrifying sound.

Anyway, you can record a Mustang flying past and if you catch the whine on tape you can single out that tone. You will find that it is either exactly as I said, or it may be slightly off. Re-creating the sound with a flute will make a cleaner tone. Amazon has a C# tin flute for less than $10, or you can might find someone that plays flute. I think mixing the sound will be harder for you than finding a flute playing that note.

Then it's just a matter of experimentation to get it right. I did the exact same thing for the F6F which is also a C# in one portion of the speed envelope. It changes, which is why the plane needs to be observed and recorded so you can capture the full range.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:46:58 PM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 10:45:36 AM »
Fruda, you just answered your own question and you obviously have not played with this at all. You can actually build a sound that is not heard at low speed, but that builds up in intensity and is heard at higher speeds. Wind sounds are a different intensity when mixed with the engine sound. They are not the same wind sound as heard from a canopy position. Wind sounds mixed with the engine sound are the same sound you would hear from an airframe passing through air if the engine were off. From the cockpit you (more precisely a microphone can record) actually can hear the sound of air passing through the oil cooler, or radiator ducts. Usually the engine covers it up from your perspective inside, which is why my P51 cockpit sound does not make that sound audible from the cockpit, but does from the ground perspective.

The Japanese never called the F4U whistling death. It is a myth that was perpetuated by the marines in the war. Just ask yourself which Japanese the Marines interrogated in order to get that information?

@perdue3: I have already made my position on that well known. You can hear my sounds in films I post to youtube.

1: Wrong; I just don't build sounds like that for AH, because they're inaccurate representations. What I upload for AHII is actually my work for FSX reformatted and made much smaller. So yes, I do have modified turbo/supercharger whines that build intensity as the aircraft's RPM level increases, and it does so because I configure the appropriate sound.cfg file to make sure it's accurate. Can't do that in AH, so another method is needed.

2: You can only hear wind sounds from the cockpit, yet now you're saying you're mixing external wind sounds with that of the engine? Not only is it inaccurate, it just doesn't sound right. A fly by is one thing (which FSX can accurately model without having to rework rpm1x, rpm2x, rpm3x, rpm4x, etc.), but an engine at WOT isn't always heard in motion. What about run ups on the field? No aircraft is going to display doppler and wind effects during preflight, and if you've ever been to an airfield near one of these historic aircraft, you'd know exactly what I'm talking about. Continuing with that, there are several sound developers in the FS community who do have the means to record aircraft, and their payware work uses the philosophy. They don't mix wind and doppler sounds with the engine, and they certainly don't add instrument effects in an attempt to replace supercharger whines.

3: AH's sound system does not allow for that. You're likely just switching back and forth from internal/external sounds. Whatever the case, the engine sounds you have on those YouTube videos are nothing like a Mustang, inside or outside of the cockpit (although I have to say your cockpit sound is a lot less accurate than your external sound); several flight cam and ground cam videos of P51s prove this without effort. Kermit Weeks has a three-part video of him flying a P-51C with which you should educate yourself, not to mention there are various fly by videos you can find with a simple "P51" search. Maybe then you'll stop throwing words around, but I doubt it.

Hey, I have an idea, craz07. If you want to get that fly by sound without somebody mocking you, I'll make you one. You don't need to buy a field recorder, you won't need to pay for transportation or admittance to an air show, and you certainly won't have to pay for my work. I'll PM you so we can get something going.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 07:56:41 PM »
3: AH's sound system does not allow for that. You're likely just switching back and forth from internal/external sounds.

As usual you are wrong. I singled this one piece out because it is absolutely untrue. If you really do know anything about how to make sounds, then why don't you understand the relationship between in cockpit and out of cockpit? The same exact sound makes for different experiences depending on your position. I can make the cockpit sound exactly like the real plane, but then it won't be fun to fly it. The B-29 for instance would deafen you from the bombardier position.

And, like it or not, I have the best P-51 sound there is, bar none.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 05:28:46 PM »
If you really do know anything about how to make sounds

Welp, you can't argue with crazy.

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 05:29:45 PM »
I have the best P-51 sound there is, bar none.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 06:46:02 AM »
Your right, Fruda. You have now become just another moonbat. But,. . .