Author Topic: P-63 KingCobra......again  (Read 32450 times)

Offline Fox

• Copper Member
Re: P-63 KingCobra......again
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2013, 11:39:01 PM »
I looked up some of the planes and vehicles that Nashorn mentioned:

TA-152, 43 built, production started 1944
ME-163, 370 built, production started 1944
Tiger 2, 492 built, production started 1944
Wirblewind, 105 built, production started 1944
Ostwind, 44 built, production started 1944
F4u1c, 200 built, production started 1944
AR234, 210 built, production started 1944

P63, 2600 built, production started 1943

There were approximately twice as many P63s produced as the TA152, ME163, Tiger 2, Wirblewind, Ostwind, F4u1c, and AR234 combined. 

I understand the argument that the Late War arena shouldn't be dominated by planes and vehicles that played a minimal part in the actual war.  If that approach is taken, should wirbles be everywhere defending against planes?  After all, only around 100 were built.  What about ME163s defending the strats and hq?  They only shot down a few planes during the actual war.  Etc, etc, you get the idea.

I think the P63 clearly should be in the game at some point.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 11:41:26 PM »
All of those saw MONTHS of combat. The P-63 MAYBE saw combat in the very last week of the war (rumored use of P-63s "disguised" as P-39s shouldn't even enter into consideration at all).

That's a HUGE difference.

Where did the 152 see months of combat?  Just sayin....

As for the 63 in combat.  While it may be only for Operation "August Storm" by the Soviets against the Japanese in Manchuria, it's still combat.  

The King isn't first on my list by any means, but there is no reason it shouldn't be open for discussion at some point.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2013, 05:11:52 AM »
Good set of facts Fox.  Hard to argue with those numbers.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2013, 10:11:11 AM »
Yes! What we really really need right now is another last day of the war, insignificant performance monster in the main arena.

Right...
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2013, 10:24:59 AM »
Yes! What we really really need right now is another last day of the war, insignificant performance monster in the main arena.

Right...

Pretty literally, in this case.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2013, 10:55:11 AM »
I looked up some of the planes and vehicles that Nashorn mentioned:

TA-152, 43 built, production started 1944
ME-163, 370 built, production started 1944
Tiger 2, 492 built, production started 1944
Wirblewind, 105 built, production started 1944
Ostwind, 44 built, production started 1944
F4u1c, 200 built, production started 1944
AR234, 210 built, production started 1944

P63, 2600 built, production started 1943

There were approximately twice as many P63s produced as the TA152, ME163, Tiger 2, Wirblewind, Ostwind, F4u1c, and AR234 combined. 

I understand the argument that the Late War arena shouldn't be dominated by planes and vehicles that played a minimal part in the actual war.  If that approach is taken, should wirbles be everywhere defending against planes?  After all, only around 100 were built.  What about ME163s defending the strats and hq?  They only shot down a few planes during the actual war.  Etc, etc, you get the idea.

I think the P63 clearly should be in the game at some point.
Talk about lying with statistics.

You can also put forth that eight times as many Ta152s saw combat (assuming the P-63 saw combat at all) as P-63s, let alone all the other units you mentioned.  When you cherry pick only the numbers that are favorable to your argument you come off as trying to hide stuff and that winning the argument is more important than being correct.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2013, 11:04:33 AM »
Sorry, Vink .... gotta -1 this one.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2013, 11:28:04 AM »
Keep in mind this is a game that uses a simulation as HiTech describes AH.  The game allows us to fly a 262 as an example to experience in a small way what it would have been like.  Mustangs fighting Spits would never happen in WW2  but it happens here and is totally acceptable.  It is the game part of the simulation.

The Kingcobra fits in.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2013, 11:41:52 AM »
Keep in mind this is a game that uses a simulation as HiTech describes AH.  The game allows us to fly a 262 as an example to experience in a small way what it would have been like.  Mustangs fighting Spits would never happen in WW2  but it happens here and is totally acceptable.  It is the game part of the simulation.

The Kingcobra fits in.
Perhaps, perhaps not.  Personally I suspect it will be added eventually, but is way, way back in the production line as there are so many more important units to add first.

Just don't pretend that production numbers are the only thing that matter or that they tell the whole story.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2013, 11:50:24 AM »
Keep in mind this is a game that uses a simulation as HiTech describes AH.  The game allows us to fly a 262 (which actually saw combat and has several sources backing that up) as an example to experience in a small way what it would have been (was) like.  Mustangs fighting Spits would never happen in WW2 but it happens (in the MAs) and is totally acceptable (there).  It is the (MA) game part of the simulation.

I'd be confident to venture that most all on the forum are aware of this and take such into consideration.

The Kingcobra fits in.

Keep in mind, some pretty ridiculous things have been asked for and some less ridiculous
gaps still exist. The King Cobra fits in about as well as the Bearcat. So far, HTC has avoided
adding any aircraft to the game/sim that would fall under the category of 'aircraft that never
saw combat in World War II' (with the exception of the WWI arena). Attempting to use the
262 as an example of modeling aircraft that never saw combat in WWII doesn't float. The majority
of the community appears to reject the notion of adding the planes that almost made the party ...
but didn't. I suspect that if the majority changes it's mind and stands solidly behind a '1946' main
arena this it may influence whether or not HTC acts accordingly (and filling the gap for historical
models still missing in the 'non-1946' arenas would take even longer). But that doesn't appear to
be the desire of more than a dozen on the forum. It would be catering to a rather small segment
of the community at the risk of disillusioning the rest, imo.  

But then, this is the 'wishlist' .... wishes cost nothing until the FGM steps in.  :salute :) :cheers:

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2013, 11:57:36 AM »
Talk about lying with statistics.

You can also put forth that eight times as many Ta152s saw combat (assuming the P-63 saw combat at all) as P-63s, let alone all the other units you mentioned.  When you cherry pick only the numbers that are favorable to your argument you come off as trying to hide stuff and that winning the argument is more important than being correct.

Two squadrons supported the invasion = strafing and bomb dropping. Only one is reprted to have an A to A Kill. Be careful not to cherry picked the definition of "Saw Combat" to support your point.  :salute
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:00:37 PM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2013, 11:59:52 AM »
Sorry, Vink .... gotta -1 this one.

Not angry.  :D
Who is John Galt?

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2013, 12:11:59 PM »
If combat in Manchuria would fit the bill, the Yak-3p would probably be in AH already:

720km/h (37mph faster than LA-7), 3*20mm cannons, many built, climbs probably equally or  better than best AH planes, turns with most, La-7 would   lose its Dweeb plane status in a snap.

-1 from me for both

Woa !
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:42:27 PM by save »
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2013, 12:27:19 PM »
What affect would it have on the MA? Would it unbalance it?

What axis aircraft is matched to it, is there an axis counterpart to counter it?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2013, 02:32:50 PM »
What affect would it have on the MA? Would it unbalance it?

What axis aircraft is matched to it, is there an axis counterpart to counter it?
It would be perked in the MA I am sure.

As to the Axis aircraft, I don't see how that is relevant.  What does it matter that it dominates an N1K2-J or Bf109K-4 anymore than it matters if it dominates a P-47M or Mosquito Mk VI?  In all cases the fans of those aircraft have a new predator in the tank with them and it matters not at all whether their pet aircraft is an Axis or Allied aircraft just as it doesn't matter if there is an Allied counter to the Me262.

For scenarios I would simply expect the P-63 to get no use at all.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-