Author Topic: Computer problems  (Read 725 times)

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
Computer problems
« on: September 13, 2013, 03:05:56 PM »
I cleaned the register on my new laptop and and ran a program to delete all empty folders.    STUPID IDEA it now wont allow me to go online. Computer acts like it erased some source code on internet files and some other stuff....    What do i need to do. The program that i did this with is System Care 6 :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Computer problems
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 04:45:28 PM »
I cleaned the register on my new laptop and and ran a program to delete all empty folders.    STUPID IDEA it now wont allow me to go online. Computer acts like it erased some source code on internet files and some other stuff....    What do i need to do. The program that i did this with is System Care 6 :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

Those PC system maintenance / PC Cleaning programs usually ask you to back up your PC or PC settings or Registry before performing the cleaning cycle. 

did you take advantage of backing up your stuff before hitting the clean PC or maximize PC performance key???

Did your Laptop come with a PC recovery  CD or anything?

letting us know what type of Laptop ( Make - Model - etc... )  and what OS ( Windows Operating System ) you are using would help us help you better

hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 03:39:20 AM »
Before doing anything else, check if the program has an undo option. Most of them do at least offer an option for a backup before deleting anything from the Registry. The empty folders might be recoverable from your Trashcan.

Since the laptop is new and probably still quite empty, the best solution would be a fresh reinstall. First take backup copies of all your personal files like photos. The reinstall doesn't necessarily need any Recovery CD or such, all should be on the hard disk. The recovery process might be able to be started even from within Windows or if that isn't possible, using a key combination at startup will lead you to the recovery process. Look at the manual, it may be printed or a help file inside Windows. In the latter case the icon should be easily found.

Let us know how it went. 
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 04:13:48 AM »
You might be able to repair or reimage back to a prior image.

A few weeks ago I ran a check disk program. I use Smart Defrag for my defragging and didnt realize it had changed the default check disk from Windows to smart defrag. Big mistake. I ended up having to do a total reimage of Win-7 and wiped my computer clean.

It wasnt such a big deal, you save your important files anyways and my computer had been running slow due to all the crap on it. Its probably a good idea to do it once a year anyways but at the time i had better things to do. Use your recovery disk and see if you can do a repair.

Your key code to run the disk is probably esc.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 09:01:53 PM »
OK what do I need to do to redo everything
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 03:26:39 AM »
OK what do I need to do to redo everything

Redo everything? If you mean starting from the scratch to the point when you first booted your computer, there might be two or even three choices:

1) Since your computer is still working, check the Start menu or its Win8 equivalent for a folder named Recovery. If you haven't created the recovery disks, do it now! You'll never know when you might need them. After that, there might be an option to start the recovery process from within Windows. Click and follow the orders.
2) If the recovery can't be started from within Windows, look for the manual for the startup button combination for recovery. Or do a Google search for "<Brand and model> recovery/reinstall". You'd soon find out whether you should press F8, F9, F10, F11 or F12, with or without Ctrl, Alt  or Shift right after booting the computer.
3) If neither of the above works, but you have created the Recovery DVD set, put disk #1 into the optical reader and boot your computer from the cd. You might need to change the startup device order either from BIOS or by pressing Esc, F11 or some other button to do that. Again, RTFM.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 02:17:12 PM »

HP pavilion g6

A6 cpu

750gb harddrive

6 gb ram

onboard graphics
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 02:23:52 PM »
Undoing Windows registry errors is a pain in the <unsavory anatomical locus>.

You might actually have an easier time getting out your Windows DVD and re-installing the OS from scratch.  Sorry.  Wish there was better news.   :(

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 02:31:27 PM »
This is a laptop
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member

Kotisivuni