Author Topic: The Furniture Bomber  (Read 3716 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Re: The Furniture Bomber
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 02:28:33 PM »

As would I Earl but sadly he passed quite some time ago.   As a youngster he told me some stories but 1 always stuck in my head,he said they used hand saws,ya hand saws to cut the fuselage to set it ontop of the wings. Oh and the Canuks used Robertson screws,a square drive screw that wouldn't fall off the screwdriver and it greatly sped up production.

I'm not sure if the "Robertsons" made it across the pond or not as they were another Canuk invention.

:salute
:airplane: Well, that certainly adds to the ever growing story of the Mosquito bomber construction in Canada! Its always those little tid bits of info which make historical facts more interesting to me.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 06:05:47 PM »
Lots of photos of KA114 here earl, http://www.mosquitorestoration.com/gallery.shtml

This is the Mossie that was recently restored and is now in the USA.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 01:52:34 PM »
Lots of photos of KA114 here earl, http://www.mosquitorestoration.com/gallery.shtml

This is the Mossie that was recently restored and is now in the USA.
:airplane: Gooood stuff!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 05:39:30 PM »
DESIGN ANALYSIS NO 6
DeHavilland Mosquito
By Chester S Ricker, Detroit Editor, Aviation
http://legendsintheirowntime.com/Mosquito/Mosquito_Av_4405-06_DA.html

Be sure to check out the pdf file at the end.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 05:49:30 PM »
I seem to remember a story about mosquitos, flying tree top level into Belgium or France (can't remember) to in point bomb a prison at lunch time

to free Allied prisoners from being executed.  As I recall (memory lousy) they had to take out a wall and a building where the Prison Guards ate

without killing the prisoners.  No other aircraft could have pulled this off but the Mosquito and of course the fantastic Pilots who flew them.

(sorry...memory is  lousy....this mission really did occur)  Someone maybe can recall this mission and verify I didn't dream this one up   :airplane:
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 06:46:13 PM »
Yeah it happened. I think it was French resistance prisoners. A bunch were killed by the raid, a bunch escaped, most were recaptured. Still a pretty remarkable operation. The Brits were always up for that kind of TS stuff.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 07:00:54 PM »
That would be the Amiens prison. There was also Shell House (Gestapo HQ).

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 07:13:54 PM »
DESIGN ANALYSIS NO 6
DeHavilland Mosquito
By Chester S Ricker, Detroit Editor, Aviation
http://legendsintheirowntime.com/Mosquito/Mosquito_Av_4405-06_DA.html

Be sure to check out the pdf file at the end.

Many thanks for that link Milo - I looked for that article some years back but failed to find it. Lots of drawings in there I'd not seen before.

As Milo says, the raid being discussed was on the prison at Amiens, on 18 February 1944, by 487, 464 and 21 Squadron FB.VIs of 2nd TAF (21 Squadron were in reserve, and didn't bomb).

There's a relatively new and very detailed book on the raid by J.P. Ducellier, who IIRC was born in Amiens and has made something of a lifelong work of the raid. Challenges the received wisdom on a number of fronts.

In any case, my all-time favourite Mossie pic appears in the book, with an informative caption:

The aircraft flown by Max Sparks (yes, that's his real name, another reason to love the photo) was HX982, coded EG-T (not the EG-T so often seen on model kits).

The default AH skin for the FB.VI is another aircraft which was on the Amiens raid, that one being with 464 Squadron.

The raid is better knows as "Operation Jericho", though apparently it wasn't referred to as such until after the war, the operation orders referring simply to a numbered "Ramrod" op.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 01:25:43 AM »
My lovely bride is in the air force, and works on base Downsview, where the Canadian Mossies were built.  When we first came to Toronto we lived right across the road from the factory, very neat.

Somewhat related, one day she and some colleagues were moving some old, dusty furniture and found an ancient roll of undeveloped film.  On developing, they found it contained original footage of the Avro Arrow. Quite something to see this futuristic plane taxing past 1950s cars...

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 01:41:51 AM »
That is an awesome pic Scherf!

The Amien raid was in the end mostly a propaganda victory. The most odd thing about it is that it is not know who ordered the raid. The two special services that could have, claim they didn't and there were no official documents found. How did the French resistance managed to pass a request to the RAF and get a squadron to send its planes without leaving bureaucracy traces along the way?

Mosquitoes did all kind of crazy bombings, like lobbing bombs through the doors of large HQ buildings, into railway tunnels in order to block them, at the walls of a narrow fjord to make them fall on the ships below, and probably more that I do not know or remember reading about.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 06:16:04 AM »
Heya Bozon,

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the story of who ordered the raid and how. I believe the book I mentioned above basically says the raid was a part of the plan to deceive the Germans re: where the invasion would happen. By attacking a prison in northern France, it led the Germans to believe that the resistance guys they had there were more important than was actually the case. (I stress I don't have the book, so may be talking out of my ass...)

Crazy is probably a good word for a lot of what the Mossie did, even crazier that it got away with it, too. A sort of "you name it, we can do it". Dropping mines into canals, spiriting scientists out of the reach of the Germans in converted bomb-bays, sinking subs with a field gun, driving Goering off the airwaves, the list goes on and on.

Stellaris - is the aviation museum at Downsview still there? They were restoring a Lanc there at one point, had a lifesize replica of the Arrow... That film you mention is a real treasure.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline No9Squadron

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 12:01:49 PM »
During the war, and beyond, the Brit Aerospace Industry was a world beater. I dont think it gets enough credit. Neither in design of air frames or the skill of its airmen.  America didnt win the air war alone.

Britain handed radar and some islands in return for 50 Town class destroyers and supplies.

Britain was probably leading the industry in the 30's and 40's in some respects, e.g. Frank Whittle of Gloster Aviation and the Mosquito is the perfect example of thinking outside the box that the Brits are so good at. It's the Japanese who are so good at improving things and the Americans who are so good with things like lightbulbs, telephones, inventions like the microchip processor, but it was the Brits who had crazy ideas like unarmed bombers, bouncing bombs and Hobart's "funnies".

Chicken/egg situation, but one of the reasons the Mossie was developed, was because it harnessed an otherwise redundant force of furniture and piano makers, who otherwise had little contribution to the war effort. It was a good way to squeeze extra juice from the workforce and in Canada, there were plenty of trees in supply.

I always imagine Hitler ranting furiously, as he decided to award 2 kills to anyone who could shoot one down.

The twist in the story was the bombing of the factory during the Battle of Britain in 1940 which massively delayed the development of the Mossie, which didn't become operational until the following year. It would have had a devastating effect on the Luftwaffe over England I am sure.

I love to see the US skins in the game, it's a nice inclusion and the 105 squadron skin is worth the $14.95 alone, as I've not really flown British bombers before, except perhaps in Warbirds, so the mossie skins and the B24 1674 HCU skin are a real pleasure to use.

My uncle worked for DH when Mossies were still operational, but once Boeing learned from the Comet airliner tragedies, Britain lost it's usefulness perhaps as aerodynamic leader and Dh's only memorable contribution was the Hawker Harrier, which US Marines used a lot as well. My uncle worked on this aircraft too, solving maths problems.

The mossie is the sexiest thing on legs, unarmed, low, fast. Leaving people standing is fun.

Check out the DH Hornet, basically a naval "development of the Mossie"-ish which didn't see service.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:10:02 PM by No9Squadron »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 01:40:26 PM »
Check out the DH Hornet, basically a naval "development of the Mossie"-ish which didn't see service.
Hornet wasn't a naval development of the Mossie.  Sea Mosquito was that.

Hornet was a new aircraft, land based fighter designed with the lessons learned from the Mosquito.  Sea Hornet was the naval version.  The Hornet saw action post war, but it did miss WWII.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 07:02:14 AM »
In case you want to build your own Mossie, this site makes it look easy.

http://www.mosquitorestoration.com/gallery.shtml

:O

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 08:14:01 AM »
Hornet wasn't a naval development of the Mossie.  Sea Mosquito was that.

Hornet was a new aircraft, land based fighter designed with the lessons learned from the Mosquito.  Sea Hornet was the naval version.  The Hornet saw action post war, but it did miss WWII.

Sexy beast she was...  Looks like a streamlined Me 410.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."