Author Topic: Desktop computer  (Read 6507 times)

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
Re: Desktop computer
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 01:57:43 PM »
well i am using a Hp Pavilion g6 with a Amd A6 processor turning out around 2.80 GHz

This is my laptop :banana:
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 02:12:08 PM »
It doesn't have a graphics card, it has a graphics circuit integrated inside the CPU. So what's the difference? An integrated GPU uses system memory and processor cycles. System memory is slower than graphics memory: ddr3 vs. gddr5. Radeon HD #670 would be mediocre as a separate card, the "D" meaning it is based to older architecture and is slower than its separate namesake.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 02:14:55 PM »
Ok. what kind of package would u incourage me to get. I have a brand new monitor and keyboard and mouse? :salute
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 02:55:34 PM »
I can only give you some rough main lines, but something like this would offer longevity, capability and expandability at a reasonable price. The Finnish vendor says €1000 for their build, but if you build it yourself and do some research before shopping you might get it much cheaper.

• Intel i5-4670K 3.4GHz
  • Intel Z87 motherboard of any brand you trust
  • AMD Radeon HD7870, 2Gb GDDR5 256bit -graphics card of any brand you trust
  • 2x4Gb 1600+ MHz RAM of any brand you trust
  • 1Tb, 3.5", SATA3 hdd of any brand you trust
  • A SATA DVD burner of any brand you trust
  • A well breathing case like Cooler Master HAF912 - The case is the easiest way to save, good ones can be found for below $50 but they can cost even $1000. Sturdy, roomy, breathing is what you'd want.
  • A quality 500 - 700 W power supply -Seasonic has a good reputation
  • Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Also look at http://www.hardware-revolution.com/best-budget-gaming-pc-computer-august-2013/ for hints and tips for what to look for in a budget gaming computer plus direct links from their recommendations to vendors.

Don't fool yourself into reading something between the lines that isn't there! I know, I've done that, it's easy.  :salute
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 12:48:07 PM »
lol, you keep looking at amd a-series apu processors...you may as well spend the money on a nice weekend at the beach, you will get more out of it. regardless of what amd propaganda and web noobs try to convince you of, those processors are not worth a dam for gaming. if you want amd, look at the fx (bulldozer) processors but, you would be better off looking into an intel i3 or higher end processor.

for $500 all you're going to get is a home pc suitable for web surfing and emails. you're going to need $700+ to get a decent gaming system if you build it yourself.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 12:58:12 PM »
Here is another good place to find ideas about putting together a parts list for your machine:

http://www.maximumpc.com/build_pc_recommended_builds_august_2013

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 07:53:23 PM »
What kinds GPU speed in processors should I look for. Also what is difference in solid drives vs others.
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 10:46:04 PM »
What kinds GPU speed in processors should I look for. Also what is difference in solid drives vs others.

You can't tell the speed of a GPU by looking at Mhz, it's far more complicated than that. Check http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

SSD hard disk will make your computer feel extremely fast while loading the OS or applications. In big games like battlefield, maps load in 2-3 seconds instead of 20.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 12:14:55 AM »
Memory wise how do they compare
 :rock I guess I am the idiot here
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 01:16:35 AM »
Memory wise how do they compare
 :rock I guess I am the idiot here

Memory wise they compare like this:

SSD = real fast but expensive per gigabyte

HDD = 'normal' speed but real cheap per gigabyte

which is why many people buy a SSD and a HDD to install the OS and games on SSD and all other data such as videos etc. to the large cheap HDD.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 03:29:20 AM »
The link Bino sent has a quite interesting low budget suggestion. To lower the price and improve gameplay (at least AH), I'd change some things: The case doesn't look like breathing. One with a mesh front and lots of options for big fans wouldn't necessarily cost more. Instead of the i5-3350P I'd choose an i3-3250: AH for example only can make use of two CPU cores, so the number of cores doesn't matter as much as the speed of a single core. i3-3250 is simply faster in many tasks, yet it's a lot cheaper. I'd also leave the SSD out and use the 1Tb hard disk only. Those alterations would shave about $100 off the price, down to about $650.

Kotisivuni

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 08:17:45 AM »
Thanks a lot I appreciate that
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 08:47:51 AM »
The link Bino sent has a quite interesting low budget suggestion. To lower the price and improve gameplay (at least AH), I'd change some things: The case doesn't look like breathing. One with a mesh front and lots of options for big fans wouldn't necessarily cost more. Instead of the i5-3350P I'd choose an i3-3250: AH for example only can make use of two CPU cores, so the number of cores doesn't matter as much as the speed of a single core. i3-3250 is simply faster in many tasks, yet it's a lot cheaper. I'd also leave the SSD out and use the 1Tb hard disk only. Those alterations would shave about $100 off the price, down to about $650.

Biz makes good points about the i3-3250, but I'd probably pony up the extra $60 and get one of the latest "Haswell" i5 chips instead, probably an i5-4670.  The LGA1150 socket was just introduced by Intel, so it may (hopefully!) have a bit more longevity than the older LGA1155 socket of the i3-3250.  That would mean that you could at some point upgrade your CPU without replacing your motherboard.

Also good point about getting a case that moves lots of air.  Best to have several big fans (120mm or larger) that turn relatively slowly to keep quiet.

An SSD is certainly faster than a spinning-disk hard drive, but it's not essential, especially if you are on a budget.

Take a look at that link Ripley posted.  They pick cards at several price points, and the "hierarchy chart" in there will give you a general idea of how GPUs compare to each other.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2013, 09:17:18 AM »
Longevity is a difficult animal to handle... Six years ago I built my current rig, with a then new socket LGA775 motherboard. My choice for CPU was the Intel Core2Duo E6750, which I thought would serve well enough. As it did. Last year I sold it in an Internet auction where I found an E8500, the high end dual core CPU for LGA775. During the years the price difference between the two processors had dropped down to €30, paid €70 for the E8500.

My point is, any socket will outdate some day. Some do it faster than others and we can't tell their life span beforehand. For LGA1150 we know there's many more expensive processors, like i7-4770K Haswell which today costs $339 at Newegg. I suppose when it's time to get some more oomph something like that can be found at a reasonable price.

Kotisivuni

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2013, 09:50:07 AM »
What kinda case would you get
LtCondor
          The Damned