Author Topic: Desktop computer  (Read 6521 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Desktop computer
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2013, 01:25:27 PM »
On 2000 most of the linux distros were still for hardcore users only :)

I bought my first linux cd in 1998, Caldera linux. I didn't even have a broadband connection at that time. It wasn't as easy as the distros now if you know what I mean :)

:aok

I remember playing around (only a very small amount, though) with MINIX when it first came out.

Also, I remember using Xenix.  Man, what a monstrosity that was to install and get running.

Compared to that, OS/2 was a breeze, and it had everything I wanted:  excellent stability, protected memory, multitasking, batch language, low resource needs, and could still run DOS apps very well (like Air Warrior, which I used to run on it).

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #151 on: September 20, 2013, 01:26:22 PM »
can i come work with you? i've been trying to learn something as simple as regex for the past 4 years and unless i see it in an existing structure, i just can't grasp it all. it's like algebra was in high school, who the hell decided x=10 when y was zero, and how the hell am i supposed to know when to use "$/|\(+)[^]"?   :cry
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2013, 04:57:25 PM »
can i come work with you? i've been trying to learn something as simple as regex for the past 4 years and unless i see it in an existing structure, i just can't grasp it all. it's like algebra was in high school, who the hell decided x=10 when y was zero, and how the hell am i supposed to know when to use "$/|\(+)[^]"?   :cry

:aok  The company that I most recently formed is a very small one (7 people currently).  We have only a couple of software folks (including me) for machine control and bioinformatics (no web development in this one currently).

Regex is very messy looking in my opinion, too, and was never a specialty of mine.

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #153 on: September 23, 2013, 01:52:42 PM »
What does your company do?
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2013, 04:31:58 PM »
What does your company do?

We build customer-specified sequences of DNA on semiconductor chips, and equipment for doing that.  The technology is used in fields related to biological research and diagnostics (to read what a person's sequence of DNA is) and synthetic biology (such as making synthetic genes).

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #155 on: September 24, 2013, 07:36:03 AM »
We build customer-specified sequences of DNA on semiconductor chips, and equipment for doing that.  The technology is used in fields related to biological research and diagnostics (to read what a person's sequence of DNA is) and synthetic biology (such as making synthetic genes).
wouldn't happen to be called cyberdyne systems...would it?  :uhoh  :noid

jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett