Author Topic: Desktop computer  (Read 6622 times)

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
Re: Desktop computer
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2013, 09:52:12 AM »
Also were is a good store to shop for this stuff
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 10:27:43 AM »
What kinda case would you get
Also were is a good store to shop for this stuff
If you live in the USA, Newegg seems to be a good starting point for Internet shopping. Tigerdirect is another I've heard of as a reputable company. Your local builder shop might be able to be competitive with the big online shops, plus they would give you priceless advice for the same price.

A quick glimpse at Newegg's cheapest cases tells this:

Basically you'd want a case that would be sturdy enough for rebuilding, lan partying and whatever you'd put it to tolerate. There should be enough room for the longest video card you can afford now and within a couple of years. There should be good airflow to keep your valuable components from frying to death. Good cable management serves for the same purpose. Look at the measurements of both the case and the components you'll fill it with and make your decision according that.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2013, 01:12:58 PM »
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline edog1977

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2013, 01:25:41 PM »
Well, the price they show doesn't include memory, a hard drive, video card, optical drive, bigger power supply, or an operating system. Once I configured a complete system the price was over $700.00.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2013, 02:58:38 PM »
Well, the price they show doesn't include memory, a hard drive, video card, optical drive, bigger power supply, or an operating system. Once I configured a complete system the price was over $700.00.
That was cheap! I used the calculator within the site and got $878 with basicly a similar system that was described on Bino's link as "Budget" with my alterations to make it even cheaper. It pays to shop around!

"Barebones" is just four components put together. That means, attaching the power supply (cheap and of unknown brand in this case) to the case with four screws, setting the CPU under the latch and clamping the cooler on it, attaching the motherboard to the case with 7-9 screws and plugging two unmistakable cables from the PSU to the motherboard. Calling that a "GAMING PC DESKTOP SYSTEM CUSTOM" should be criminalized. Don't fall for that!
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2013, 03:33:29 PM »
Ok thanks for that ingo
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline edog1977

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2013, 03:54:21 PM »
That was cheap!

Yes it was!  :D

To be clear I wouldn't recommend a $700 configuration from that sight for gaming.

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2013, 10:21:19 AM »
What do you guys think about this type of Computer :cool:

a Dell Alienware X51 Gaming PC in very good cosmetic (some scratches and scuffs on unit) and excellent functional condition. It has been upgraded with 8GB of RAM and has a fresh installation of Windows 7 Professional 64 bit so it is ready for work and play! Featuring an Intel Core i3-2120 processor at 3.30GHz with 8GB of DDR3 RAM, an NVidia GeForce GT 545 graphics card, and a 1TB (1000GB) hard drive, this computer can handle just about anything you throw at it! You will receive the Alienware X51 computer along with Alienware Keyboard & Mouse, and Genuine SLIM power supply and power cord!

Full specs as follows: Specifications: Color: Black Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-2120 (Dual Core, 3.3 GHz base, 5GT/s, 3MB SmartCache, 64bit). Great for multitasking.

Memory: 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM RAM. Hard Drive: 1TB7200RPMSerialATAhard drive Optical Drive: DVD SuperMulti Drive. Plays and burns both CD's and DVD's Graphics: 1.5 GB GDDR5 Dedicated Nvidia GeForce GT 545 Video Card with two DVI ports, Display Port and HDMI

WirelessN: Integrated Wireless B/G/N Card.

LAN: Integrated 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet LAN Audio: Integrated High Definition Audio with Waves Maxx Optimized HD Audio

Keyboard/Pointing Device: Alienware wired gaming Keyboard and Mouse

Multi-in-1 MemoryCard Reader: Integrated

Ports: 6 USB2.0 (2 Front, 4 Rear), 2 USB3.0 (Rear), Audio Ports, Digital S/PDIF port, Card Reader, HDMI, Two DVI, Display Port, RJ-45

ENERGY STAR qualified - Designed to use less energy and meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Energy. Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, with Alienware software.

I was wondering what you guys think about  i-3 core 2120 are they good or bad.  Believe Could upgrade the core in sometime to a I-5 or even up to a i-7
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2013, 10:33:23 AM »
The i3-2120 fits an LGA1155 socket, so yes, there are upgrade options.   And although the i3-2120 has only two cores, it has a decently high clock.

The GT545 card will hold you back.  There are several better options at the same price point, around $100.  Again, take a look at the link that MrRipley posted.  For example, the AMD 7770 also runs about $100, yet is three steps above the GT545 on that "hierarchy chart".
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:35:03 AM by Bino »

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2013, 11:12:07 AM »
As Bino said, the 2120 is a decently high clocked dual core. For AH and most other games, you won't need more.

Look at this PassMark chart: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+545. It claims that the GT545 would go for as little as $55! Look at its points, 1280, and compare that to known AH capable budget cards such as Radeon HD7770, 2155 points for $95. You'd soon find a good balance between your wallet and performance.

For what I understand from your post, the Alienware would be slightly used? If you get it cheap enough, including an extra $100 in the near future for a better video card, that would be a good budget rig. By cheap I mean something below $300, making $400 with the video upgrade. Compared to your current laptop the gaming experience would be tremendously enhanced.

Kotisivuni

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2013, 11:26:00 AM »
as bino said for a budget AH config I'd get a 2 core I3-I5 with the highest clock possible, with a low end Radeon card like the 7770 wich is cheap but still has some bang.

ram would be 8GB (althougt 4GB would do the work for AH), HDD doesn't matter as long as its new. Motherboard would be a ATX sized for future upgrades, with a Z77 chipset.

I cannot advise any cheap power supply or case, because it's something I refuse to cut corners on in order to protect my investment. That said I'm thinking about getting a Fractal design Black pearl R4 with my current Seasonic PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352020.

To drive that kind of hardware I guess a low end corsair 300W PSU would do the trick.

Don't forget surge protection, especially if you live outside the city. A 20$ APC surge protector will go a long way to protect your hardware, it took my brother 2 fried computers to realize that  :lol

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2013, 12:10:31 PM »
Would you say that ailenware computer for $400 is worth the money
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2013, 12:37:18 PM »
offer him $350...and make sure you get keep records of the purchase. don't want you to get taken...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2013, 12:39:49 PM »
Thanks
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2013, 12:48:28 PM »
SirNuke, I totally agree about the importance of the quality of the power supply, also the surge protector can be of great value where electricity isn't stable.

What I don't agree with you is the question of cheap cases. For example your choice most likely has some extra price for its scandinavian design and extra dampening material. I doubt it would protect the innards twice as good as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352008 from the same manufacturer for half the price. I did some studying concerning the two above mentioned and the four cheap ones. None of those tell the thickness of the material used, but I suppose most of the weight would come from steel and since they all are about same size, well... The Fractal design ones weigh more than the cheapest ones which leads to think they are sturdier. However the $109 Fractal weighs only a tiny little more than the $49 one, probably because the cheaper one is a little bit smaller. The Rosewill is the most lightweight of the seven, which probably means its side panels will resonate and wobble, and screwing should be done carefully without excess power. So I'm leaning towards you after all but only halfways. It's obvious that a 20+ lbs case should be stronger built than a ~10 lbs one.

I remind, though, that we're dealing with delicate electric devices which shouldn't be kicked, dropped or in any other way exposed to shocks. Although the outside might tolerate abuse, there are parts inside that are only attached by clamps or slots such as the CPU cooler or a big video card.

Offer him $300 which will leave you some negotiating headroom up to $350. The less you pay now the more you can spend for upgrades. And as Gyrene said, keep records of the purchase. Ask if it's been overclocked. Look inside for clogged dust and dirt, especially between the cooler fins beneath the propellers, both CPU and GPU. A little flashlight would be handy to see how much dust there is inside the PSU. If the seller has been smoking while computing, you'd notice that. Don't buy a smoked computer! All cooling elements would be covered with tar, which along with sticking dust will add weight to fans and thermal isolation to coolers.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 12:58:39 PM by Bizman »

Kotisivuni