Author Topic: Special Note on Airfields in Winter Sky  (Read 247 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Special Note on Airfields in Winter Sky
« on: August 29, 2013, 08:32:41 PM »

those of you that've looked at the setup, may or may not have noted that the allies have 2 bases that they must launch from vbases, simulating unimproved airfields. the axis has 1 base they must do this from.

i just finished flying all aircraft in the set('cept the buffs), testing for the ability to lift from these bases. ALL fighters can do it. i tested each fighter with full fuel, biggest guns package, and drop tanks. i used 1 notch flaps on all, and did not touch WEP on any takeoff roll.

ALLIED
 p-51d pretty easy to get airborn. accelerates nicely once wheels up
 p-51b almost identical to "D"
 p-38l this was the easiest of the allied aircraft to get airborn.
 p-47d25 felt like about the same ground roll as the ponys, but felt heavy when first going wheels up.

AXIS
bf109g14 this was so easy to get into the air, it was honestly impressive. i've never flown any of the 109's.
bf109k same as g14
fw190d very easy, almost as much so as the 109's, but little heavy feeling
fw190a8 same as "D"
me410 very heavy. got up easier than i expected, but kinda difficult, needing long ground roll.
me262 these cannot launch from unimproved bases, but i had to try. it took a CRAZY long ground roll, but i got it on second try.

i would advise everyone to do the custom arena thing, and practice launching from the v-bases, just to get the feel for it.

thanks, and have fun dudes!
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)