Author Topic: Hardcore Arena  (Read 9286 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Hardcore Arena
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2013, 04:11:25 PM »
You forgot to factor in the effect on ganging. Better fighting through not being ganged is a positive thing.  :aok

:old:

I Disagree :huh

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2013, 07:09:04 PM »
yes but you're a madman!!!!!!!  :devil
Who is John Galt?

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2013, 07:33:04 PM »
yes but you're a madman!!!!!!!  :devil

Ive heard that before  :D   

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2013, 08:17:40 PM »
Where do you get the 80%/20%?  Did you just pull the numbers out of an orifice to support your lame agenda?  You are certainly a 20%er, but not in the context you are using.  You are among the very small minority, who doesn't frequent the AvA, keeps your argument stuck in the past, can't come up with something productive to say,  and can't get out of your close minded viewpoint.  You are in the 20% percent that causes 80% of the unnecessary problems and just makes racket for the sake of self satisfaction.

Comes up with REAL statistics, have something productive to say, come participate in the AvA, and get to know the ones who do enjoy it and put in an enormous of work to constantly improve it or, as Jimson so eloquently put it "Put up or shut up".

Pareto principle

Only 20% of the player base becomes sticks of any note. That same 20% will demand the most in terms of game changes to suit themselves as they age with the game and become bored. Some portion of the 20% will create the most trouble in this forum for personal pleasure. The 20% assume the 80% will like whatever they come up with CMing an arena because the 80% don't matter to them other than to pay the light bill and be cannon fodder. The 20% are not communicating to the 80% but, to other 20%ers because only players like themselves are the real players. The rest are cannon fodder, or all the bad names the 20% uses to describe the 80%.

Hitech's MA works because he serves both parties.

Why do the 80% vote their foot traffic to the MA knowing it's populated with well known hungry sharks? For one, the population density is enough that they don't up into the mouths of hungry sharks more than 20% of the time. They feel like they have a chance. The CT and AvA attracts too many sharks eventually unbalancing the fun 80%er's are seeking. They return to the MA where their chances of not getting their kester handed to them all night long is much higher.

Why in the DA are there two distinct kinds of players who self segregate by dueling and by furball action at Furball Lake? The CT\AvA fails for the same reason a fun corner bar with pool tables does when a pool shark shows up and hustles the patrons. That's why on occasions the CT in the past, and the AvA have both had some fun nights. A population density and skill spread was achieved that made the 80%ers feel comfortable with their kester whuppins from the sharks, while they were able to whup a few in turn against other 80%ers.

The 80% generally doesn't have the stomach for, nor cares to accept being whacked with a stick repeatedly as the price for their fun. No matter how much you repeat: "This will make a better Aces High ACM god out of you". The MA allows them to avoid this for 80% of their play time because they are not paying for the same fun that the 20% are paying for. Just the illusion 80% of their session time.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2013, 08:31:36 PM »
Pareto principle

Only 20% of the player base becomes sticks of any note. That same 20% will demand the most in terms of game changes to suit themselves as they age with the game and become bored. Some portion of the 20% will create the most trouble in this forum for personal pleasure. The 20% assume the 80% will like whatever they come up with CMing an arena because the 80% don't matter to them other than to pay the light bill and be cannon fodder. The 20% are not communicating to the 80% but, to other 20%ers because only players like themselves are the real players. The rest are cannon fodder, or all the bad names the 20% uses to describe the 80%.

Why do the 80% vote their foot traffic to the MA knowing it's populated with well known hungry sharks? For one, the population density is enough that they don't up into the mouths of hungry sharks more than 20% of the time. They feel like they have a chance. The CT and AvA attracts too many sharks eventually unbalancing the fun 80%er's are seeking. They return to the MA where their chances of not getting their kester handed to them all night long is much higher.

Why in the DA are there two distinct kinds of players who self segregate by dueling and by furball action at Furball Lake? The CT\AvA fails for the same reason a fun corner bar with pool tables does when a pool shark shows up and hustles the patrons. That's why on occasions the CT in the past, and the AvA have both had some fun nights. A population density and skill spread was achieved that made the 80%ers feel comfortable with their kester whuppins from the sharks, while they were able to whup a few in turn against other 80%ers.

The 80% generally doesn't have the stomach for, nor cares to accept being whacked with a stick repeatedly as the price for their fun. No matter how much you repeat: "This will make a better Aces High ACM god out of you". The MA allows them to avoid this for 80% of their play time because they are not paying for the same fun that the 20% are paying for. Just the illusion 80% of their session time.
Excellent post, Buster.  :aok

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2013, 10:15:17 PM »
You forgot to factor in the effect on ganging. Better fighting through not being ganged is a positive thing.  :aok
I doubt hording and ganging would be reduced.  I can even see reasons it might increase.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2013, 10:05:46 AM »
Pareto principle

this post explains why people go to MA...Because there is safety in numbers. But what foes hot shot  sticks vs the rest of us, have to do with arena settings?  :headscratch:
Who is John Galt?

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2013, 05:18:40 PM »
this post explains why people go to MA...Because there is safety in numbers. But what foes hot shot  sticks vs the rest of us, have to do with arena settings?  :headscratch:
:airplane: Some people like to play "Pacman" and some "Donkey Kong", personally I like Texas "holdem"!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2013, 07:13:07 PM »
:airplane: Some people like to play "Pacman" and some "Donkey Kong", personally I like Texas "holdem"!

Exactly.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2013, 07:26:28 PM »
I doubt hording and ganging would be reduced.  I can even see reasons it might increase.
From experience in the AvA, it doesn't happen very often.  Most players who frequent it tend to stay out of a good fight in progress, unless invited in to help.  Most times the fights are 1v1s, 2v1s, or 2v2s,  unless more than a 1v1 is considered hording or ganging.   Seems most ganging turns out to be a 3,4,5+ v 1 in the MAs.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #130 on: September 11, 2013, 08:14:46 PM »
From experience in the AvA, it doesn't happen very often.  Most players who frequent it tend to stay out of a good fight in progress, unless invited in to help.  Most times the fights are 1v1s, 2v1s, or 2v2s,  unless more than a 1v1 is considered hording or ganging.   Seems most ganging turns out to be a 3,4,5+ v 1 in the MAs.
True, but the OP's request was for a hardcore MA which, even if low usage, would still be a lot more wild west than the AvA.

Put another way, I don't think the AvA's icon settings play any part in the lack of gangbangs.  I think that is entirely based on the AvA's culture.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #131 on: September 11, 2013, 09:38:15 PM »
Put another way, I don't think the AvA's icon settings play any part in the lack of gangbangs.  I think that is entirely based on the AvA's culture.
I guess that would be a matter of opinion based on time spent in the AvA and actual familiarity of those who do.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2013, 10:26:18 PM »
I guess that would be a matter of opinion based on time spent in the AvA and actual familiarity of those who do.
You described it as thus.  Are you now calling yourself a liar?
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2013, 10:29:55 PM »
Back to name calling, eh? 

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2013, 10:48:40 PM »
Back to name calling, eh?  
It was your choice, when I was complimenting the AvA, to toss an insult at me.  That is ok, but me pointing out (harshly admittedly, but you had just thrown an insult at me) that you were contradicting your prior statement is not ok?

You said:
Most players who frequent it tend to stay out of a good fight in progress, unless invited in to help.  Most times the fights are 1v1s, 2v1s, or 2v2s,  unless more than a 1v1 is considered hording or ganging.

Those are cultural choices and they have nothing to do with the icons or lack of icons. There is no other way to describe that.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-