Author Topic: Help with TrackIR  (Read 517 times)

Offline hellwolf

• Zinc Member
Help with TrackIR
« on: September 16, 2013, 06:48:14 PM »
My disability has been getting worse and I havent flown for a couple of months now. I have been thinking of ordering TrackIR to take some of the pressure of my hands especially my thumb.  The question I need answered is can I use TrackIR to replace my mouse as this is what is stopping me using the computer.  Can I use it as a pointing device and use my rudder pedals as left and right clickers? There are expensive versions that can be used as pointing devices but was hoping to know if TrackIR can be substituted and used the same way?  Thankyou in advance.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 06:59:57 PM by hellwolf »

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: Help with TrackIR
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 07:05:16 PM »
I used to set up older TrackIR units for patients with MS. Initially, it was just me donating older units I couldn't get comfortable using and it turned into volunteer work with multiple units donated by other sources. While I haven't tried with my TrackIR5, I KNOW you could use the mouse emulator on the older TrackIR units.

Nothing like watching someone unable to use the computer suddenly full of smiles as they can use social media and enjoy getting in touch with their families again.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 08:17:54 PM »
As for using your rudder pedals for clicking the mouse, yes you can.  I use this free program to exactly that. http://joytokey.net/en/ It allows you to set any joystick/rudder pedal/controller axis to input a keyboard button or mouse click.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 09:06:41 PM »
Any luck Wolfie? We're looking forward to seeing you in the game.

~S~ Buck
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 05:17:12 PM »
NaturalPoint makes both the TrackIR and SmartNav systems which use the same type of tracking technology although the cameras are a bit different.  TIR only controls views and doesn't do mouse emulation while SmartNav is specifically designed for mouse emulation but not views.  Unfortunately, neither appear to do both. 

It might be possible to use both together though.  TIR uses a three point reflector (or three point IR light source) mounted on a ballcap or headset.  SmartNav uses a single reflector and the description indicates that, like TIR, you would typically put this somewhere on your head (a hat, your glasses, mic boom, etc.) but you could also put it on your hand.  You could get both systems and place TIR in the normal position on top of the monitor with a good view of your hat reflectors and put the SmartNav camera on the desk where it can only see your hands.  With the SmartNav reflector on your hand you should be able to control the mouse.

Before spending the money though I'd contact NaturalPoint and explain your situation and what you need your system to do.  There are people that have written additional software for TIR that gives additional functionality but I didn't find anything that combines both view control and mouse emulation.  I'd certainly ask them about it before buying both systems. 
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF