Author Topic: Hitech....Skuzzy....Waffle....  (Read 3713 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Hitech....Skuzzy....Waffle....
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2013, 07:02:04 PM »
Love it!  :aok   I never could get organics right.

I'm mostly doing arch vis these days.

(Image removed from quote.)

my decades of drawing/painting and Tattooing realism I would say helped me out bigtime.

but damn dude that screen shot is awesome. :O

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2013, 07:06:54 PM »
Then I envy you; very few people can do organics right. You should focus on that! What I do is mundane compared to organics. :)
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2013, 08:14:30 PM »
Then I envy you; very few people can do organics right. You should focus on that! What I do is mundane compared to organics. :)

I dont think what you do is "mundane" by any stretch of the imagination.  :O

thats to funny though....serious I started a spinosaurus (for my son... thats his favorite Dino).......within 8 hrs he was sculpted textured and walking......while I was working on this P40....I have a week plus in the P40 :cry :cry :cry seems like I wont be done for another month :rofl :rofl :rofl

here is the high poly....with a 1,501,485 verts I had to break it apart to render the normal/AO maps  :cry

here you can see the low poly with the normal texture....but the damn seams are driving me nuts....I am at a lose on how to get rid of them.

it was the same with tattooing...guys that have been tattooing a lot longer then me cant do true realism but it was easy for me, same with portraits...but damn when it comes to "words" they are difficult for me.

I think it comes down to organic stuff does not need to be precise while something like the P40 has to be dead on....same with word tattoos...any deviation in the lines can be seen....but a wolf with fur...or any type of animal for that matter, truly does not have to be "perfect" that makes it easier for me.

:salute man you do real nice work.....

there is another guy on here that does awesome stuff....

what the hell is his name.... :headscratch:(now I feel like crap cant remember his name :o)

I looked at his stuff and unlike some people I don't get jealous....I saw what I wanted to be able to do, and strive to do the best I can.

I look at what you do and just WOW :O....I WILL do that one day  :salute

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2013, 09:08:11 PM »
That's the good kind of jealous. Your dino model looks awesome! How easy is rigging something like that in blender?

3D modeling and animation is a fun hobby, and can also be quite fun paying work.  :aok
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2013, 09:28:28 PM »
That's the good kind of jealous. Your dino model looks awesome! How easy is rigging something like that in blender?

3D modeling and animation is a fun hobby, and can also be quite fun paying work.  :aok

thanx  :o

took me about an hour to rig and constrain the armature...

its far from perfect and the rig is very simple on this one...

the Nile Monitor rig is more intricate, with lots of constraints, and custom bone shapes, same as the Tarantula....but still can be done in a day easy....

hell Blender has a automatic Human "metarig" that is sweet.....the hands need some tweaking after you generate the rig, but it easy to add some copy rotation constraints so the fingers close like a real fist...

I have experimented with the human rig and used it for some animals...although I like building the rigs from scratch for animals.

I find creating the animations far more difficult to get smooth then actual rigging it.(although a basic walk is all of 15-20 minutes.) but to look natural it takes a lot of tweaking....I haven't been happy with any of my animations as of yet. :(

with your experience in 3Ds you have a leg up....because you know the terminology....Blender is overwhelming at first...but it is easy to get to understand once you know the shortcut keys.....not only is it a 3d modeling program..but the "sculpting" is straight up awesome...(especially with a Tablet) it is also an image texturing program like GIMP(but even better)....(you can paint right on the mesh or on the texture image and it updates as you work) it has a full game engine....that uses "logic bricks" and seems to be quite easy to get to know(I am still learning this part of Blender)

its FREE....6 kids :O....I like FREE :rock

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2013, 06:27:10 AM »
Free is the best kind of deal ;)     Been a few years since I last looked into Blender, and back then it wasn't up to snuff for my needs, but I hear it has taken great strides since then. I'll have to check it out.

What renderer do you use?

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2013, 03:04:56 PM »
I just use the internal renderer, when I use cycles it takes forever and sometimes crashes the system...

but that will give you the best results if your system can handle it....but using cycles render you will want to get to know the node system...you don't "have" to, it will add the nodes in the background...but to get the best results you will want to understand the node system for sure.

I have tried most of the other 3d programs none stack up to what blender can do.(that could be the fact I have been using blender for so long I am completely used to it)

but as far as I know, none of the other ones are an "all in one" type program.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2013, 04:23:56 PM »
Maya is a complete package. 3Ds MAX only has the core functions and acts as a hub for plugins.

I will have to test Blender again to see if it can fill my needs. Might save me $3,000 a year or so...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:25:50 PM by GScholz »

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2013, 04:50:23 PM »
Maya is a complete package. 3Ds MAX only has the core functions and acts as a hub for plugins.

I will have to test Blender again to see if it can fill my needs. Might save me $3,000 a year or so...

Maya does not have a game engine.(as far as I know)

I have been using Blender off and on for 8 years, recently I have gotten into it serious and delved deep into it.

any help you need is no problem :aok

besides I have a "hookup" :rofl....I know who the guy is.... who put out the best tutorials :D (so anything I don't personally know it can be fond out easy enough)

thats another thing about Blender I like,there is a huge source of tutorials....  :rock

I have no doubt that whatever you do in Maya you can do in Blender, its just learning the interface that seems daunting at first.

you have worked with layers I assume? blender has 20 different layers that can be used,

the different modes...IE...EDIT mode, Object Mode.....sculpt mode....texture paint mode....real time rendering (with cycles)

it really isn't difficult...there are certain things you will need to know, depending on what you are doing of course...

for instance if you change the size/position of your mesh while in OBJECT mode you want to apply the changes or it will give you weird results when applying modifiers.

and I bet money everything you have worked on in MAYA you will be able to get into blender  :rock

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2013, 03:42:49 PM »
Downloaded a few tutorials.  :)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2013, 06:11:33 PM »
awesome man :rock