Author Topic: Computer problems  (Read 3824 times)

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
Re: Computer problems
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 07:56:34 AM »
Hmm hopefully thats what's wrong. Would that cause the cooler fan motor to stop and start?

Because some strange things can occur with a failing CMOS battery and because they are so cheap, I would replace it to simply rule it out. Then report back.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 01:30:02 PM »
The cooler fan motor will stop and start because the computer can't get past the primary check list, starting all over again and again. Probably. Computers are a matter of the spiritual world, they work on blue smoke. When the smoke comes out, they won't work.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 04:59:05 PM »
The cooler fan motor will stop and start because the computer can't get past the primary check list, starting all over again and again. Probably. Computers are a matter of the spiritual world, they work on blue smoke. When the smoke comes out, they won't work.

When one of my desktops had a bad power supply it acted in this same way. It tried to post but then reset again - so the fault may be in the PSU.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 03:34:09 AM »
When one of my desktops had a bad power supply it acted in this same way. It tried to post but then reset again - so the fault may be in the PSU.
Correct. That may be one cause why the computer can't perform the primary tests, resulting a reset loop.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 02:12:51 PM »
I got the battery out. It says KTS cr2032.  Do I just order one ?  Or are they at local super stores.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 07:28:06 PM »
It's a standard battery size, CR 2032. You should find it wherever batteries are sold.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 07:54:05 PM »
Thanks man.

The Few

-Spek

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 09:18:17 AM »
Going to replace battery in a few will report back.

The Few

-Spek

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 09:39:27 AM »
First time I turned it on it seemed like it was going to work. It went to Loading operating system... never loaded windows.  After that same screen for almost a minute in shut down on its own.  Ever since then same problem as before.  I will cut it on and it runs for a few seconds, the cooler fan motor will stop then the machince shuts down again.

The Few

-Spek

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 09:47:34 AM »
Since then I have removed one stick of RAM and it booted what seemed to be normally again yet its stuck at the Loading operating system screen...  Can I go into my boot menu or anything for a direct diagnosis?

The Few

-Spek

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 09:59:14 AM »
I took out each ram stick individually turning the machine on after each one. When I got to the last stick and pushed power I got a long beep about 7 times and then I just cut it off.  Stillost I have no idea what's wrong.

The Few

-Spek

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 10:08:49 AM »
I took out each ram stick individually turning the machine on after each one. When I got to the last stick and pushed power I got a long beep about 7 times and then I just cut it off.  Stillost I have no idea what's wrong.

Symptoms like that can be power supply related. I have had exactly the same kind of malfunctions which seem to change on every boot when the PSU was flaky. Of course if that last ram stick you tried was the bad one that could cause the fault too. When you test the ram you have to remove all of the sticks first, then try one by one untill you find which one doesn't work. Or if the machine boots, run memtest86. 7 beeps means a CPU error in many bioses so at worst you may have a fried CPU. But in my experience PSUs are more commonly causing this sort of problems.

I suggest trying an another PSU. Unfortunately that's going to cost you some 70 bucks if you want to get a proper XFX black model for example. But hearing your symptoms I'd be willing to bet its either PSU or mobo and PSU would be my favourite bet.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 10:13:21 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2013, 10:11:55 AM »
Did you try booting into Safe Mode? If you don't know how, press F8 repeatedly right after booting until you see the boot options menu. Navigate with arrow keys.

Unfortunately there isn't a built-in diagnostic tool set in most computers, but you can burn yourself the Ultimate Boot CD which will contain more than you'd ever need in that category. From the CD I'd recommend Memtest 86+ for testing the RAM and the HDD diagnosis from your hard disk manufacturer (SeaTools will work for all brands).

Failing GPU and PSU can't be tested in the same manner, the only easy way is to replace them with a known good spare. Also the CPU is easiest to test that way.

A failing PSU can make all tests for other components fail.

Kotisivuni

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 10:16:15 AM »
No I haven't tried safe mode. Most of the time it just comes on and shuts off in a matter of seconds.

The Few

-Spek

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 10:18:15 AM »
Alright, Safe Mode is out of question. Go further with the testing according the instructions I've given.

Kotisivuni