Author Topic: Finally shopping for that new computer  (Read 849 times)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Finally shopping for that new computer
« on: July 09, 2013, 09:16:40 AM »
It's been more than a few months ago that I asked for a computer. I am finally getting serious about buying one.

I would like to spend in the $500-700 range. I use my computer for Word products/processing/power points, etc, surfing the internet and playing AH. I have used Windows XP (current computer) though I am coming to the opinion I should go with Linux instead.

Two quick questions. What specs should I get/shop that would maximize the AH experience and serve functionally well for the rest of it? Also, if I forego Windows XP/8/etc and go with Linux can I still use Word, and basically all other software that one normally associates with Windows?

Thanks in advance!

boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Finally shopping for that new computer
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 10:13:56 AM »
It's been more than a few months ago that I asked for a computer. I am finally getting serious about buying one.

I would like to spend in the $500-700 range. I use my computer for Word products/processing/power points, etc, surfing the internet and playing AH. I have used Windows XP (current computer) though I am coming to the opinion I should go with Linux instead.

Two quick questions. What specs should I get/shop that would maximize the AH experience and serve functionally well for the rest of it? Also, if I forego Windows XP/8/etc and go with Linux can I still use Word, and basically all other software that one normally associates with Windows?

Thanks in advance!

boo
$700 would be a bit on the low side if you're wanting ah performance...a $500 system, even a retail box unit that won't run ah very well, will run any version of linux easily. you could probably get good performance with an intel i-3 processor on a good mobo with a hot video card for somewhere in the neighborhood of $800-$900. if you're planning to use microsoft software, going straight linux is not a good idea. you would be stuck with a version of openoffice which is good but, it lacks some of the functionality that you would be used to with microsoft products. you might be able to run most windows programs if you used wine but that can be a pain and you want a somewhat beefy system to make it work well, especially if you're running 64bit. you could dual boot a system with linux and windows with a little tweaking using the grub boot loader. that will give you the best of both without the overhead of using an emulator.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 01:25:53 PM »
Is this decent?

Xps 420
Processor: intel core quad CPU q6600 @2.40 GHz
Ram: 4gb
System type : 32-bit operating system
Windows vista home premium
LCD screen
Tower has LCD control screen

or

Windows 7 Home
Processor Intel Duo Core
RAM 2GB
Hard Drive 240GB
Built in wifi
CD/DVD Burner
SD Card Reader
Come with AOpen 15'' Flat Screen Monitor

« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 01:30:41 PM by mthrockmor »
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 01:37:12 PM »
I feel like I'm having a flashback to 2008 with those numbers.

Not enough info since no video cards are listed. 
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 01:42:17 PM »
Is this decent?

Xps 420
Processor: intel core quad CPU q6600 @2.40 GHz
Ram: 4gb
System type : 32-bit operating system
Windows vista home premium
LCD screen
Tower has LCD control screen

or

Windows 7 Home
Processor Intel Duo Core
RAM 2GB
Hard Drive 240GB
Built in wifi
CD/DVD Burner
SD Card Reader
Come with AOpen 15'' Flat Screen Monitor
for running some version of linux? yes...for gaming, hell no.
jarhed  

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 03:39:23 PM »
Are you talking about new computers in the range of $500 - 700? With Vista??? Or has something passed my eyes without me noticing?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 04:01:12 PM »
Hehe, I didn't know Vista still existed.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 10:25:17 AM »
Well....I'm making progress by simply learning how little I know. But, getting a sense for the numbers I should be looking at, such as RAM, etc. I am going to budget a bit more, $700-900 range and see what that gets me.

Next question, for $800 (mid range) what would you suggest I shop around for? I am going to include a simple CD/DVD burner, I'll add a multi-usp ports and use my same monitor, keyboard, etc. Is it really important to get a fance power chord thingie, and extra fans?

Thanks in advance for the next step!!

boo

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 10:55:23 AM »
fancy power cord thingy?  :lol 

you could get by with a dual core intel i-3 cpu...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115092
but for ah and other games, 2 cores can get pushed pretty hard.

a quad core intel i-5 would be much better, short term and long term...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504
the -k designation allows you to overclock when you want to.

for a real budget system, you could go with amd processors...the phenom2 x4s are on par with intel i-3 cpus performance wise, but they have 4 cores to balance the load.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727
i have one of those and it handles ah fairly well...

or you could try one of the new amd fx (bulldozer) 6 or 8 core cpus with very high per core clock speeds...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113327

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

with amd processors you're going to want to go with a mobo equipped with the 990fx southbridge chipset for best performance...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007625%20600138080%20600008296%20600166242&IsNodeId=1&name=AMD%20990FX

on intel processors, you will want to get a mobo equipped with a z77 southbridge chipset...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%20600093976%20600315497%20600311010%20600009016&IsNodeId=1&name=ATX

ram...memory...the lowest speed rating you will want is 1333mhz, and get at least 8gb of it. i would choose either crucial ballistix, corsair vengence, or gskill sniper series, low profile.

power supply, you will want at least 600 watts of power capacity, modular design, 80 plus bronze rating minimum, single 12v rail...corsair (enthusiast or builder series), seasonic, thermaltake or pc power and cooling.
jarhed  

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 11:27:21 AM »
Let's just skip some steps, alright? There are some simple rules for buying a satisfactory computer. You already have figured out two important ones:
  • How much are you willing to spend
  • What are you going to do with it
If I have understood you correctly, you'd want to do some surfing and office routines. Plus you'd like to play AH with a decent frame rate. For the first two almost any computer built during the last decade will do. AH is the toughest of those three.

Almost every program has a list of minimum and recommended requirements published somewhere. When you're choosing a computer, look for the most demanding program you're going to use, look at the recommended requirements and add some headroom for the most craving components (CPU, RAM, GPU). In this case the recommendations are
Quote from: HiTech Creations

Windows 7
2Ghz Intel Core 2, or faster
System RAM/Memory 4GB
Video Card    DirectX 9 compatible with 512MB of RAM
Take these and double the amounts for a decent rig for several years. Gyrene81 up there has some suggestions of today's hardware, he's more up-to-date with it than I am.

Fancy power cord thingie... It seems like you've been looking at the pictures of some rigs on this very forum! ;) Now there's two kinds of power supplies: Regular and modular. The thing with modular ones is that you only plug in the cords you need. Unfortunately, at least AFAIK, there's often more than enough permanent cables and plugs even on a modular PSU!!! :furious Anyway, the idea is good. A hamfistful of cable spaghetti in the middle of your case will certainly hinder airflow. That's the whole idea of cable management, to make the inside of a case as open as possible. Extra fans serve the same cooling purpose, plus they can make your computer quieter. You see, one whirlwind makes a lot more noise than a bunch of cool breezes. The amount of airflow would be similar, but the whining and grinding only a fraction. Strategically placed fans can also aim the airflow to a desired point where the cooling is most needed.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 11:31:20 AM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 01:39:25 PM »
A friend of mine recently asked me to spec out a "game box" for him.  Along with a few other odds and ends (case, power supply, keyboard, surge protector, Win 7, etc.) , this is what I looked at:

+ ASUS Z87-A motherboard
+ Intel i5-4670 "Haswell" 3.4GHz CPU
+ SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 video card
+ Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600 memory
+ Western Digital "Caviar Black" 1TB hard drive
+ ASUS VE258Q 25" LCD monitor
+ Logitech Z506 75 watt 5.1 surround speakers

Total over at Newegg was about US $1600.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 12:00:42 AM »
I'd buy this:

Dell Inspiron 660 is $530 (i5-3330, includes OS, 500 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, DVD+/-RW, 100/1000 Ethernet, sound, keyboard, mouse)
Thermaltake 500W ATX12V power supply is $50 (from Newegg)
Nvidia GTX 650 Ti (rated best for price range by Tom's Hardware) is $130 (from Newegg)

total = $710

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 03:49:33 AM »
buy a good ssd drive instead of a mechanical old driver, you will love it.
I have 2 ssd and one old mechanical one ( use it for backup of the ssd's )
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 08:52:05 AM »
Boo

without being at home and looking at my spec's this is the system I built with some help and it cost me under 800 buck's they rape ya on shipping though. I am running the game with no problem and left room for upgrading in the future. I know nothing about Linux so not sure if that will work but here are my specs. I already had a decent size monitor so did not order all the extra toys. and Water cooling was still new so went with the old fashion fans

BASE_PRICE: [+736]
•BLUETOOTH: None
•CAS: Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower Gaming Case (Black Color)
•CASUPGRADE: None
•CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
•CD2: None
•COOLANT: Standard Coolant
•CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.80 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology [-16]
•CS_FAN: Default case fans
•ENGRAVING: None
•FA_HDD: None
•FAN: AMD Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink [-20]
•FLASHMEDIA: None
•FREEBIE_CS: None
•FREEBIE_VC: None
•FREEBIE_VC2: None
•GLASSES: None
•HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
•HDD2: None
•IEEE_CARD: None
•IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
•KEYBOARD1: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard [+5]
•MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance [+24])
•MONITOR: None
•MONITOR2: None
•MONITOR3: None
•MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX] ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AMD 970 Chipset CrossFireX Support DDR3 Socket AM3+ ATX w/ 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI (Pro OC Certified) [-1]
•MOUSE1: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge [+4]
•NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
•OS: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium [+0] (64-bit Edition)
•OVERCLOCK: Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more) [+19]
•POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Corsair CX600 600W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply [+17]
•RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
•SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
•SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
•SPEAKERS: None
•TABLET: None
•TEMP: None
•TVRC: None
•USB: None
•USBFLASH: None
•USBHD: None
•USBX: None
•VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 7750 1GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
•VIDEO2: None
•VIDEO3: None
•WNC: None
•_PRICE: (+768)
•_view_: {03773758-E107-4B89-A8A3-569C4007E40B}
•_load_: 8/14/2013 6:45:40 AM
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 11:00:18 AM »
I suggest the AMD 7870 card
This is what me and Klingan both have in our computers, I run solid 60fps with one-two notches of bump map at full HD 1920*1080.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera