Author Topic: adjusting 88mm ranges  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
Re: adjusting 88mm ranges
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 05:45:40 PM »
Food for thought regarding manned ack.  I went to the practice arena, manned an 88, and collected some range data.  I measured drop on my screen for the shell at 3 angles: 25, 45, 75, for distances from 1.5k out to 9k.  I took that info, and using different color ink, made up a range card on the back of business card.  I tried that out, and knocked down two lancs at 8k on their approach, and got the 3rd smoking at 5k past his target (i got the three kills even though someone else finished the 3rd smoker off, which if you ask me is wrong: that pilot should have been credited with that 3rd kill).  But the card was getting in the way, so I took a clear plastic report cover, and wrote the info and tick marks on the clear plastic.  I tape that to the screen when I'm manning 88 ack.  It's not fool proof, but knowing where the round will pop does get me on target in fewer shots than shooting with just windage.  I haven't had any luck yet shooting with the barrel slewing.  The hits have come when I've ranged out the path and let the bomber fly into the ack field.

Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
Re: adjusting 88mm ranges
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 07:03:02 PM »
Good idea but I have to wait till they get with in 1.5 cause that's what the ack is set at most of the time lol
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait