Author Topic: Basic bomb sight and calibration mode questions  (Read 401 times)

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
Basic bomb sight and calibration mode questions
« on: September 15, 2013, 10:38:12 PM »
Is it possible, when you are in calibration mode, that you can pan up to see the target in the distance, instead of looking down?  I saw a video from 2010 on the web that showed the pilot panning the bombsite into the distance ahead. 

Also, once you drop bombs, how do you keep the bomb sight on the target to see your drop?  Again saw it in the same video.

Thx
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Basic bomb sight and calibration mode questions
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 11:12:29 PM »
Press U to enter calibration mode then use your joystick to move the bombsight.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: Basic bomb sight and calibration mode questions
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 07:40:06 AM »
In certain bombers you can depress the forward/up button , while in bomb mode, and yes see your targets from way off. The KI-67 and B-26 comes to mind. I stopped doing this cause the same effect can be gained by going into front gun and zooming all the way to find exactly where your target is so you can make small adjustments to center your plane, and still keep a tad of SA cause you can quickly go to F3/front gun to look around you. In bombsight/forward front you are kind of limited in situational awareness.

Heres what I do. I calibrate first while approaching target, then go into front sight and zoom to the target to line up exactly. Its important to use your rudders to adjust cause if you use rudder keys you get more drone drift. Which you dont want. When Im lined up I'll check my 360%, calibrate one last time, and then drop. The same effect can be gained by going into bomb sight/front forward tho you might have the adjust your front forward view with the F10 key.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"