Author Topic: Let's get Nubes to the game  (Read 6852 times)

Offline shoresroad

• Copper Member
Re: Let's get Nubes to the game
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2013, 05:21:58 AM »
In the real world he's a gentleman.  We grew up in an era where trash talk would get your front teeth knocked out, so we didn't do it. Really didn't feel the need to either.  Football players didn't strut like a rooster after a touchdown.  Baseball players could round the bases after a home run without feeling the need to thump their chest.  Guess times have changed.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 05:25:20 AM by shoresroad »
"Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant."
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2013, 06:26:02 AM »
In the real world he's a gentleman.  We grew up in an era where trash talk would get your front teeth knocked out, so we didn't do it. Really didn't feel the need to either.  Football players didn't strut like a rooster after a touchdown.  Baseball players could round the bases after a home run without feeling the need to thump their chest.  Guess times have changed.

That they have. Everyone demands recognition, respect and reward but few are willing to earn it. Those that think rank and score or perhaps skins and maps earn such while exhibiting all the negative traits of a two year old either forgot the lessons their fathers and grandfathers (even mothers and grandmothers) taught them or somehow fell between the cracks, not having parents and grandparents there for them (in the way that truly counts) during the formation of their personality sans character.

Having said that, there are also those on the opposite spectrum that are so hypersensitive that they wake up offended every day and go to bed feeling persecuted every night. They've managed to avoid developing a decent sense of humor their entire lives and take anything not carefully wrapped in a clean diaper with lots of powder as an intentional insult and affront to their 'well-bred' character (that never quite makes it's presence known until it's too late).

I'm torn between John Wayne, David Niven and Cary Grant at this point.

I wish the gentleman would return to see if there's a segment of the community that could redeem (and, in doing so, not only finds such but adds to it).

Offline shoresroad

• Copper Member
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2013, 03:58:46 PM »
Thanks for the words, Arlo.  He's gone - no big deal.
"Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant."
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2013, 04:33:39 PM »
I remeber the MA bouncing right around the 700 people on-line number just before the arena split.

Maybe it would be a good idea to test putting all the arenas back to one again.
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2013, 04:40:18 PM »
Maybe it would be a good idea to test putting all the arenas back to one again.

What would you expect from that? Getting more players again? That's not going to happen, as we do not have any arena restrictions anymore. For all means & purposes, since tour 137 the LW arena is just like the old main. Nobody will not join AH because there are a EW or MW arena available.
And, for the record, in overall player numbers AH peaked out long after the arena split.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2013, 11:34:12 PM »
Hey all,

I am gonna hit the AvA arena tomorrow.  The AI raids sound like a hoot.  Also, it sounds like a Midwar + arena.  I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

There were many comments in the AvA thread about it being a way to get new people in (AI don't whine on 200, degrade on 200 or fly tons of perkie planes).

Regards,

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2013, 12:21:45 AM »
AI don't whine on 200, degrade on 200 or fly tons of perkie planes.

It's a small percentage o NAI giving the rest a bad rap, ftm. (But I hear ya).  :D

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2013, 08:31:39 AM »
Well, I just found out another friend I got to try AH 3 or 4 months ago has canceled his account.  He basically told me he couldn't take the baby seal clubbing.  I helped him get started and he has played a lot of stand alone flight sims over the years.  But he couldn't take the drubbing he was getting here.

I still think we need an intermediate or beginners arena where less skilled players can go at each other and experience full game play until they achieve some level of proficiency (maybe a break even k/d ratio, giving as good as they take) before they move up.

I guess the final straw for him was when he got owned by a really good pilot and then got a PM from the pilot laughing at him.  He told me "why would I play a game this difficult and then get my face rubbed in it to boot."  He didn't play for a few weeks and then canceled his account.

This one really bothers me as he's a huge WWII aviation history buff and a perfect potential long term player.  But the game difficulty + jerk factor blew him out.  What should I say to the next person when I tell them about AH - Here's this really cool game where you'll probably suck for years and have dirt kicked in your face when you're down, you'll really like it :rolleyes:

Adults don't want to feel like they're in a special ed class and there is no need for it. We had a training arena like the one I saw you describe a while back. I don't think it made any difference on whether newbs stayed or not. The "jerk-factor" is ever present.

A couple of things need to happen before this will change. There has to be some REAL consequence to BBS and arena bullies who think they know everything, but worse have an uncontrollable need to prove it. In the MA or the BBS.

Second, newbs could be a bit more successful in the MA in a shorter time span with a few changes.

Third, real changes to the strategic game and basic game play. For example Leaning a little more towards civil game play instead of free for all spawn and die fests.

AI gunners. Balancing the GV/air war. And plenty of other things as well.

A proper warning on the home page to let people know just how competitive/or brutal this game can be wouldn't be a bad start either.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Basilbarfly

• Zinc Member
      • War in the Skies
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2013, 09:55:50 AM »
I have added this site to my website.  Hopefully you guys might go to it and see whats there.  I do this for fun and like to have some feedback on my forum regarding the different flight sims.  Come on down.
No, its not spam....

Thanks
BasilBarflyhttp://www.warintheskies.com
Webmasters working to keep you informed.......

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2013, 10:05:49 AM »
What should I say to the next person when I tell them about AH - Here's this really cool game where you'll probably suck for years and have dirt kicked in your face when you're down, you'll really like it :rolleyes:

If you want to set realistic expectations then yes, that's exactly what you should tell them although re-wording it a little might help.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline HGANCHOR

• Zinc Member
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2013, 01:57:40 AM »
Hope this game doesn't go the way of FA!  But it appears the numbers are trending that way.  I hate the alternative.  Market is the magic pill.  What is the games market.  1)The younger gamers have no historical reference for this game.  2)They have no patients for the learning curve.  3)It requires the little minds full of mush to push more than A,B,C,D,X, and O.  4)We don't like the little squeakers.

seriously a problems.

Anchor sends
Lifes hard, it's harder if your stupid!

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2013, 02:42:35 AM »
everyone is on about the learning curve in AH but after learning a bit of street fighter, and now StarCraft II I'm less impressed. Kids like difficult games but more than that they like free stuff. Can't blame them.

Offline HGANCHOR

• Zinc Member
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2013, 08:21:33 PM »
I must admit, I don't mind the learning curve.  It is about flying an aircraft after all.  No it is not real, but I give the staff coodos for getting as close as they can with the constraints of reality.  If flying was this easy, we wouldn't be playing video games.

I still think the biggest issue is the lack of historical reference for the younger generations.  So teach your kids, and your grand kids aviation as best you can or they will grow up working all year long to take a virtual tour of London or Paris instead of going their themselves.  X,X,DOWN ARROW, JUMP, 0.

Anchor sends
Lifes hard, it's harder if your stupid!

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2013, 05:33:52 PM »
If flying was this cheap, we wouldn't be playing video games.

Fixed.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2013, 05:13:45 PM »
I still think the biggest issue is the lack of historical reference for the younger generations.  So teach your kids, and your grand kids aviation as best you can or they will grow up working all year long to take a virtual tour of London or Paris instead of going their themselves.  X,X,DOWN ARROW, JUMP, 0.

I am not an X Box gamer.  However, the teenager that house sat / baby set our puppies while we were on vacation is (she even brought hers over to hook up to the TV).  I thought - cool, let me show her Aces High.  One look at my CH stick, throttle and instrument board and the eyes began to glaze.  In hind sight, I should not have lifted a plane, but instead launched a GV - fewer buttons.

Is it possible to set up the GVs so the younger generation can use an X Box like controller?  Once into the game, the interest (or lack thereof) to 'fly' will take root (or not).

Regards,