Author Topic: Ford built Liberators in 55 minutes  (Read 7627 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Ford built Liberators in 55 minutes
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2013, 01:36:34 PM »
I haven't even read Rudel's book... But what is in dispute? His official Luftwaffe record? Or his own stories in his book? His decorations certainly aren't in dispute, are they?

Ah, sorry, thought I'd made myself clear.  I question his claims.  And many of the stories in his book.  The remarkable thing about both is that I've never seen any confirmation of them from anyone else.

The comparison to western-Allied fighter-bombers is not very relevant I think. Rudel mostly few dive bombers and dedicated CAS aircraft. A comparison (if it exists) to the effectiveness of Il-2 units against German tanks might be more appropriate.

Could be, could be, but so far as I know the British study is the only one where people actually went onto the field, counted the destroyed tanks and determined what destroyed them.

- oldman

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2013, 02:49:37 PM »
Well if the Western-Allies had "cannon birds" the result would have been different. The cannon armed Stukas carried gun cams so at least his 200 or so tank kills in the Ju 87G is in little doubt.

This is guncam footage from Rudel's Cannon Bird destroying landing craft. He claimed 70 of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU6OK1zSxKg

Other guncam footage show the effectiveness of the BK37 armament against Soviet armor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E46J7LzeI-c

When you see them blown apart or fireball it leaves little doubt as to the outcome.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2013, 04:25:57 PM »
Well if the Western-Allies had "cannon birds" the result would have been different. The cannon armed Stukas carried gun cams so at least his 200 or so tank kills in the Ju 87G is in little doubt.

Typhoons carried cameras as well during their rocket attacks!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrdfbrwcuM8

It could be that all of Rudel's film was analyzed by Luftwaffe intelligence people, and that they confirmed 200 tank kills.  But I've never seen anything that suggested that was done; we have only the propaganda films you've posted.  If a tank explodes or catches fire, as these films, then clearly that would be reliable evidence of destruction.  Bottom line, though, we're still relying on Rudel, so far as I can tell, except for the half-dozen tanks (were they all Rudel's?) in the propaganda movie.

- oldman

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2013, 04:51:11 PM »
The second video was not Rudel.

This is what I don't understand: Rudel's kills must have been witnessed by his squadron mates to be officially recognized by the Luftwaffe. And they were officially recognized by the Luftwaffe or Hitler wouldn't have decorated him personally would he. I'm not sure how you can "prove" a kill record beyond that. How can you prove any wartime record beyond what was done at the time. Can anyone corroborate say Pappy Boyington's claims today?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2013, 09:01:24 PM »
Rudel's kills must have been witnessed by his squadron mates to be officially recognized by the Luftwaffe.

Hah!  That's my original point!  I have never seen anything which says that Rudel's kills were witnessed by anyone.  In fact, I think it's unlikely that they would be, inasmuch as each Stuka pilot would be hunting his own tank (or truck, or gun emplacement, or - if he was emulating his leader's boast - the occasional Il-2 to clobber with his last 37mm round).

I think that the Luftwaffe had a fairly lax standard of kill confirmation, air-to-air, air-to-ground, air-to-sea (in the case of the Marat, at least).  They talked a good talk, but there are too many inconsistencies in claims made vs. kills which actually occurred to make me believe that the Luftwaffe standards were as rigorous as the US or British, who had routine gun camera film which was routinely examined by independent intelligence officers (hence, Boyington).  Caldwell, for example, thinks that Luftwaffe claims of 8th AF bombers may have been double the actual number, and he relates the account of JG26 strafing downed gliders in Normandy and claiming air-to-air kills.  Reminds me of Tokyo Rose, and the claim totals are completely beyond the scope of any other country's experience - Russia, Japan, anyone.  

I don't really want to start that broader argument now, but in Rudel's case, in particular, there seems to be absolutely no independent confirmation of virtually anything he says.

- oldman

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2013, 09:26:48 PM »
Luftwaffe victory confirmation procedures after the Battle of Britain were as rigorous, or even more so than those of the Western Allies. The major difference between the German and Western Allies' method of scoring victories was that the Germans were not allowed to share a victory. Their cardinal rule was: "One pilot-one kill." In contrast Allied pilots were allowed to share victories. If two pilots fired at an enemy and it went down, each Allied pilot received one-half of the kill. Carried to absurdity, it is conceivable that an Allied pilot could become an ace with ten or more half-victories, never scoring any victories of his own. The Luftwaffe system of awarding victories was impartial, inflexible, and far less prone to error than the American or British method. That is not to say that errors were not made.

The Germans recorded victories in one of three categories: Abschuss (Destroyed), Herausschuss (Seperation), and endgueltige Vernichtung (Final Destruction.) These three categories were used for assessing "points" towards awards. Only an enemy aircraft in an Abschuss category was counted towards the pilot's overall victory tally. A pilot that brought down an enemy plane with a Endgueltige Vernichtung of a damaged aircraft was not awarded credit for the "kill", however he did earn "points" for the aircraft's destruction.

Following the policy of "one pilot-one kill", the investigating authorities would determine if the claiming pilot was solely responsible for the destruction of the enemy plane. Every Abschuss had to be observed by a witness: either a ground observer of the encounter, the pilot's wingman, or a Staffel-mate. Witnesses were necessary unless the victor's aircraft had been fitted with a guncam and the destruction of the plane or the vanquished pilot's bailout had been recorded on film. or if the wreckage of the downed pilot or other crew members had been captured by German forces. In effect: No witness or tangible evidence - no victory.

Every Abschuss had to be confirmed by the Oberbefehlshaber der Luftwaffe or Commander in Chief of the Air Force. Luftwaffe pilots were at all times required to note their geographical position as well as the type and number of the aircraft in enemy formations engaged. Pilots were required to log the exact time of a kill, while he maneuvered for a tactical advantage over the remaining enemy aircraft! In addition, he had to observe other actions in the air in order to be able to witness victories by his Staffelmates. Upon landing, the claimant prepared his Abschuss report for review by the immediate supervisory officer, who either endorsed or rejected the claim. If endorsed, the pilot's report to the Geschwaderstab, or Wing Staff, which, in turn, filed its report and sent both to the Reichsluftfahrtministerium (RLM), or Air Ministry. After checking all the papers that were submitted, the official confirmation was prepared and sent to the unit. This very long bureaucratic proceedure sometimes took as long as a year. In 1944, another authority was created: the Abschusskommission, which received all reports on crashed aircraft remains found by search units. This commission checked conflicting claims between antiaircraft batteries and fighter pilots, and awarded credit for the victory to one claimant or the other. This system ensured that no more credits would be awarded than wrecks found.

The German system of confirming aerial victories was very effective in keeping human errors and weknesses within limits. Despite this, the Oberkommando der Luftwaffe, or Luftwaffe High Command, considered the large victory totals during the early days of the Russian campaign as incredulous. On many occasions, they accused the Jagdgeschwader Kommodores of exaggerating the victory scores. In effect Goering was calling the frontline pilots liars. This was one of the grievances that brought about the Mutiny of the Fighters, or the Kommodores' Revolt Conference, in Berlin during January, 1945.

When a German fighter pilot scored a victory, he would call "Horrido" on the radio. This distinctive announcement of victory alerted his fellow pilots to watch for a crash or a flamer, as well as notify ground stations, which helped to confirm many victories.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:45:45 PM by GScholz »

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2013, 09:32:50 PM »
Their cardinal rule was: "One pilot-one kill."

Point of Order, M'Lud,

Agree with pretty much everything above, however one does very rarely (ie. definitely not standard operating procedure) come across something like "I.Zus.Arb.mit" for shared claims.

I freely concede this was extremely rare - I can think of only one instance, IIRC a Wellington over Biscay.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2013, 09:40:30 PM »
As you say in, extremely rare cases the victor could not be determined, and in such cases no one got the victory. The victory would rather be assigned to the staffeln (squadron), and not appear on any single pilot's record.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2013, 02:14:16 AM »
Oldman, look at it this way:

According to American records the US lost 45,000 aircraft.

According to British records the RAF lost 22,010 aircraft.

According to Soviet records they lost 106,400 aircraft (yes, that's one-hundred-six-thousand-four-hundred aircraft).

Unless you're prepared to concede that Allied pilots were so inept that they crashed all these aircraft on their own... Then somebody must have shot them down...

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2013, 08:27:52 AM »
Unless you're prepared to concede that Allied pilots were so inept that they crashed all these aircraft on their own... Then somebody must have shot them down...

These figures are losses from all causes.  In the US case, for example, less than half of the 45,000 are combat losses, and that's the total for all theaters.  The Soviet losses break down to something like 88,000 combat aircraft losses, again apparently from all causes.  If one assumes that the same proportion applies - that is, that roughly half of the Soviet losses were due to actual combat - then 100 German pilots claimed to have shot down one-third of all Soviet planes lost in combat from fighters, bombers, ack, whatever.  I have real trouble with this.  The "rules" you recite I've seen often.  They are just that - rules.  Similar rules applied to American bomber gunners, and we know how those claims turned out.

Again, I didn't want to further hijack this thread into the broad topic of the accuracy of German claims.  I just wanted to know if anyone had seen anything specific confirming Rudel's unusual accomplishments.

- oldman

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2013, 05:35:17 PM »
Oldman, we've had this discussion before. On the Eastern Front the Luftwaffe claimed the destruction of 77,000 soviet aircraft, including 45,000 in air combat. The Soviets claim they lost a total of 106,400 aircraft to all causes, including 46 000 lost in air combat. (Krivosheyev, Grif sekretnosti sniat, 1993). The Germans claimed fewer soviet aircraft destroyed in air combat than what the Soviet records show they lost in air combat. The Germans were under-claiming.

Also I fail to understand why you think the German claims are inflated. "Bud" Anderson flew 116 sorties with the 362nd FS in a target-scarce environment (some US pilots never saw an enemy plane) and scored 16.25 victories. If he had flown 1,000 sorties in the same environment and not improved his skills at all, he would still statistically have ~160 victories. More likely he would have had more than 200 if we consider him becoming an "experten" like the Luftwaffe 100+ aces; men of tremendous abilities in air combat. Are the Luftwaffe claims then so unbelievable when their top aces were flying in a target-rich environment and flew thousands of sorties? Mathematically it seems inevitable that they would rack up these numbers.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2013, 06:21:12 AM »
Oldman, George Frederick "Buzz" Beurling shot down 27 aircraft in just 14 days... That's more than 1/4 way to 100 victories in just two weeks of fighting in a target-rich environment, but he never got that chance... After landing back in Britain, he was then sent to Canada to join a Victory Loan Drive, selling war bonds. His fighting days were over.

Had he flown for Germany he would have fought until he either died, or the war ended.

Do you still have "real trouble with" the 100+ victories of German "experten" ?

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2013, 08:32:26 AM »
Do you still have "real trouble with" the 100+ victories of German "experten" ?

*sigh*   I suppose that I was the first to raise this, but I'd still like to keep it to Rudel.

Nevertheless, lest you interpret my silence as assent, the answer to the above question is "yes."  No other combatant power - not Russia, Japan, England, China, the US, anyone, regardless of how long they were at war, produced even one pilot who claimed 100 victories, much less 100 pilots making that claim.  So I think it's reasonable to be skeptical from the start.

The explanations I've seen for why the Germans were so wildly different from everyone else don't overcome my skepticism.  "Target-rich environments" work two ways, as we see even in AH, because often it means you're outnumbered and that means you're likely to get killed.  "They flew for the whole war" doesn't work because the Russians and Japanese - whose pilots, like Germany's, flew until they died - did, too, and also because Germany's greatest ace flew for "only" two and one-half years of the war, significantly less than Johnnie Johnson or Saburo Sakai, for example.  I hope we can all discount the "they were super pilots flying super planes" explanation.

I've seen the technique you refer to here - Toliver and Constable's book comes to mind - where one takes a known rate of kills and extends that over a longer time period.  But that calculation doesn't account for risks, particularly for the increasing risk of making an error as a pilot is exposed to constant combat.  Sooner or later the odds catch up with most everyone - except for these 100 charmed German pilots (and all the others who didn't quite make the 100 mark but were really close) (and there were several hundred of these).

Then I wonder whether anything could be gained by being generous on kill confirmation?  Many people think that the 8th AF did that with bomber gunner claims in order to the boost morale of people exposed to a dreadfully-high risk of death.  For the Germans, of course, being able to boast of a pilot who single-handedly could destroy hundreds of tanks, or a bunch of pilots who could shoot down hundreds of planes, was consistent with both propaganda and Nazi doctrine, not to mention perking up the morale of the troops. 

AND THEN, just as I was about to hit the "Post" button, I thought I should make sure that it was really only 100 German pilots claiming over 100 victories each (it was really 103), and I stumbled on this quote in Wiki:

"In the 1990s, the German archives made available microfilm rolls of wartime records, not seen since January 1945, available to the public.[6] These showed that while in theory the Luftwaffe did not accept a kill without a witness, which was considered only a probable, in practice some units habitually submitted unwitnessed claims and these sometimes made it through the verification process, particularly if they were made by pilots with already established records.[6] In theory the Luftwaffe did not accept shared claims, but it happened. In theory each separate claim should have referred to a particular aircraft, but in practice some victories were awarded to other pilots who had claimed the destruction of the same aircraft.[6] In 1943 the daily OKW communiques of this period habitually overstated American bomber losses by a factor of two or more. Defenders of German fighter pilots have always maintained that these were reduced during the confirmation process. But the microfilms prove this not to be the case.[6] Some 80 – 90 percent of the claims submitted were confirmed or found to be "in order" for confirmation up to the time the system broke down altogether in 1945."  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_aces_from_Germany.  Hey, it's Wiki, but it lists some sources that we can check out when we have more time.

So at the end of the day I think to myself, "super men or generous confirmations?"  One of those seems more likely to me.

- oldman

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2013, 09:29:56 AM »
Show me another CAS pilot with 2,500 combat sorties, and I'll show you another Rudel. What you say about the increasing risk of death is true... But these very few lucky souls did survive long enough. Rudel was shot down 39 times. Late in the war he had his right leg amputated below the knee due to injuries sustained in combat, but he continued to fly. He was incredibly lucky. Günther Rall was shot down eight times and survived the war. He was incredibly lucky. Erich Hartmann as you say flew only two and a half years, but he still flew 1,404 combat sorties... against an enemy fielding inferior equipment, pilot training and unit tactics. Hartmann would not have been able to achieve the same tally in the west, nor is it likely he would have survived the war. Hartmann was never shot down, but had to ditch 14 times for other reasons and he survived the war. He was incredibly lucky. Germany lost more than 30,000 pilots in WWII... A very exclusive club of pilots were lucky enough and skilled enough to become "experten". The rest became fodder in the great meat grinder that was WWII.

Now, I consider this debate closed. If you chose not to believe the German claims then so be it; in the great scheme of things what does it matter. Some people still don't believe NASA landed on the moon, because it seems so difficult and improbable and the evidence could have been faked.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2013, 10:02:39 AM »
oldman how many missions did Allied ace pilots fly compared to Lw ace pilots?

Iirc an American combat tour was 75 missions. Hartmann flew some 1200 missions.