Author Topic: War Movies that should be remade  (Read 3979 times)

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: War Movies that should be remade
« Reply #150 on: October 01, 2013, 07:30:36 PM »
If you havent heard already. Some of you may be interested in this

http://www.lafayette.edu/about/news/2013/03/07/new-hbo-miniseries-based-on-professor-donald-l-millers-masters-of-the-air/

This looks promising. Hanks seems to keep it real.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2013, 01:17:54 PM »
Marvelous news on the HBO series for Masters of the Air.  That was an excellent book, and the HBO miniseries are top notch.

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2013, 04:02:34 PM »
12 O'clock High.

This is a superb movie, 1949 with Gregory Peck in black and white.  The protagonist commander takes control of the squadron and through harsh discipline, molds them into a more affective fighting unit.  The underlying theme is how hard it is for that commander to send so many young men into death.  In the end the pressure of it becomes too much for him.

I'd vote for Gary Sinise as commander.  Just think with special affects now adays what an epic war movie it could be.

As for the rest....well I am usually disappointed by war movies though I watch them all.  Mostly I find them trite, full of cliché's and with implausible plots.

IMO Spielberg and Bigelow have set the bar by which all other war movies are compared in modern times.

A movie such as this does not have to be remade. As it is, it is excellent, and one of my favorites. The acting is top notch, plot line is solid, and there is no "let's wave the flag" that is seamingly the norm of war films these days.
I fear that if they were to redo this film... they would infuse masive amounts of CG which is a problem in all things hollywood. I want to be entertained and drawn into the story by the characters.....with the action augmenting the story. Not sitting there looking at all the eye candy with what they can do and then having the characters augment the action.

I started the thread because I thought that somebody could do a better job of  "the battle of the Bulge"  than the one that was out there.
Valkyrie....sorry....I just can't get my head around Tom Cruise being  in the role he played.

Offline SoonerMP

• Nickel Member
« Reply #153 on: October 03, 2013, 04:39:22 PM »
Has anyone else seen "Raid on Entebbe"? It was a decent movie, I love the story behind it and it will go down as one of the most daring actions taken by the Israelis if not the entire SF community. But I also think it would be one that Hollywood might be able to not screw up.

S.A.P.P. Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Blame Karaya 2008-2012       Death From Above - MA (inactive)

Offline B3YT

• Silver Member
« Reply #154 on: October 05, 2013, 10:58:45 AM »
ohhhh and as some people have been mentioning 40k stuff

let me just say

DAN ABNETT

all of his books are fantastic, but the Eisenhorn trilogy is a 100% must read. even if you're not into 40k stuff it's just a fantastic sci-fi epic.

you can all thank me later :)

OH hell yeah ......loads of good Horus Heresy stories.   and Gaunts Ghosts.
As the cleaners say :"once more unto the bleach"

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #155 on: October 06, 2013, 02:07:20 AM »
OH hell yeah ......loads of good Horus Heresy stories.   and Gaunts Ghosts.

:D :aok
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #156 on: October 06, 2013, 02:44:15 AM »
Has anyone else seen "Raid on Entebbe"? It was a decent movie, I love the story behind it and it will go down as one of the most daring actions taken by the Israelis if not the entire SF community. But I also think it would be one that Hollywood might be able to not screw up.

Have you seen the: Operation Thunderbolt

It is quite old Israeli production - an excellent film (because it is not Hollywood production  :D ) - the problem that if Hollywood does it, 95% it would be screwed up.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel