Author Topic: Using tracers for aiming  (Read 2379 times)

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Re: Using tracers for aiming
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 02:22:33 PM »
Dead six isn't the sure shot, it's the most difficult.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 02:54:50 PM »
Yep...I prefer a low angle, high aspect shot myself.  I need a BIIIIGGGG target.  :D
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 03:05:48 PM »
tracers on or off don't matter, I can still hear then coming with surround sound.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 04:10:48 PM »
Tracers can help with improving your aim as it forces you to lead and aim with your gun sight instead of your tracers.  It takes a couple of weeks to get used to it but those that stick it out will see an improvement in their hit %.  For many years I flew with them off but recently turned them back on to see if I would fall into old bad habits and lead/aim with my tracers instead of my gun sight but years of flying with tracers off, aiming with the gun sight has become second nature to me.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 05:19:49 PM »
Recently I've pushed my wing gun convergence back out to 350-450. Cannon and MG. With game release 2.20 I pulled those in to 250-325 as a response to suddenly not being able to hit anything after updating to that release online. With 2.30 I suddenly couldn't hit anything with those short convergences. Almost every sortie until 2.30 patch 3, not landing any kills, or only 1, or assists. With patch 3, I decided to pull my convergences out and started landing kills again. It was like night and day. I landed from one sortie with my guns at the shorter convergences with only assists and frustration. Pulled my convergences out for the next sortie, and everything I shot at was hit as my sight picture used to work with the shorter convergences.

In both cases I was aiming with the same sight picture and lead values due to the gunsights I use.

Tracers on or, tracers off. It's the sight picture you have to train yourself to which never changes. When you adjust convergence you are attempting to fit the bullet stream to your sight picture. We are all limited to shooting to where the con will be visa your relative flight paths and how that relates to what you are using in your windscreen, gunsight glass edges, or reticle ring as your percentage of lead relative to lines of travel. The closer you can maneuver to your target the less you need to worry about your sight picture.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 05:43:24 PM »
I've done both, when I first started AH my main ride was the 51D.  I found myself relying on the traces. I started talking to some of the veteran players and one suggested tracers off.  It took awhile to get the hang of it, but eventually I figured out how to lead better. 

Now I'm flying the Mossie almost exclusively. And the amount of bullets that fly out of the nose of that plane, I figure I don't need to send the warnings that I'm missing.  So I'm still flying with them off...maybe I'll try tonight with them on.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 06:01:35 PM »
I think tracers on or off is irrelevant.  what counts is if you actually use your gunsight properly.  for example I have always traces on.  I have an old gunsight that I got from bustr a couple of years ago and I use it to actually aim with it.  I can see the tracers falling short but at the same time I see flashes hitting the airplane.  I have told bustr many times that that gunsight is like cheating in the game.  of course I am not as accurate as I used to be with it because I dont play as much.  but you get the point.

the reason I have tracers on is more of a "scare the other guy" , I'll shoot at the guy I am following to either make him nervous and turn or cause him to break off somebody.  normally it works.

but like i said before, actually using the gun sight properly works regardless of tracers.  and before you look at my stats be aware that I always spend all ammo before I land.  I want that coveted "wasted ammo" medal :)

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 06:13:07 PM »

but like i said before, actually using the gun sight properly works regardless of tracers. 

semp

Which is the reason why turning off tracers is a good learning tool as it forces you to learn how to aim with your gun sight instead of the tracers.  Once a player has learned to use the gun sight and properly gauge the lead and aim, having tracers on or off at that point is irrelevant and becomes a personal preference.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 06:48:22 PM »
I never use tracers, why give red icon in front any idea you are there ?
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2013, 06:53:04 PM »
I found that after the initial adjustment phase my aim got a little better (which isn't saying much) when I turned tracers off.  Occasionally I turn them back on to reset my mental sight picture but in generally I prefer to have them off. 

Besides when you miss as much as I do I don't want them to know I'm shooting at them. ;)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 06:44:03 AM »
It would be cool if we could choose the amount of tracer rounds fired. 
I agree with this 100%, as a matter of fact I posted it in the wishlist and received very little feedback. Would like know to here how others feel about it.

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 11:45:08 AM »
From my understanding about tracers being used to signal a pilot has "x" # of rounds left... Sqy the last 100rounds..... I would load those tracers halfway through my ammo not on the end when i am out.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 12:06:57 PM »
A long time ago, I quit using tracers and my gunnery started to climb above 10%.  I haven't looked back.  To each, his own; ymmv.

Ammo
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 12:17:02 PM »
Dead six isn't the sure shot, it's the most difficult.

beat me to it. :aok

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 12:25:26 PM »
I do often wonder how the tracers are modeled.  Tracers were typically hollowed out bullets filled with flammable compounds, and when burned off, left the bullet lighter affecting the trajectory.  While close, the were not accurate and better used as a general guide rather than a precise indicator of where the bullets are hitting.  
It seems to me, in game, that the tracers are actually showing a different trajectory than the bullets, and over time I tend to go without since I am already adjusting for the difference, might as well avoid the distraction.

Not sure if it's imagined or modeled though :)
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.