Author Topic: PC reboot after 5 minutes  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: PC reboot after 5 minutes
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2013, 06:09:01 AM »
The 64 bit version of Windows 7 is fine with the game.  It is what we use at the office and what we have on our home systems as well.

The only thing that might be an issue are the 64 bit drivers for older hardware.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2013, 02:27:53 PM »
The only thing that might be an issue are the 64 bit drivers for older hardware.

Ah my thoughts as well! -I have just installed Windows 7 32bit after wiping the disc (again). My logic being that as I will not add more memory to the PC it will have to make do with the maximum 4Gb (installed) for 32bit

This is one of the rare occassions when I had the foresight to get a retail version of Windows so I can pick and chose 32bit or 64bit as well as allowing a future upgrade to the motherboard/CPU.

As this install is to stay I have loaded the motherboards Windows 7 32 bit drivers for the chipset/network/sound devices but will stay with an older graphics card driver as I feel newer releases seem to be more for newer cards benefit than any improvement on the older ones. Hopefully the 32bit drivers for Windows 7 will be more stable if it turns out that was the problem.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2013, 05:12:40 PM »
You ever attend a mind reading course?

Having used the hard drive for a couple of days using Windows XP with no problems whatsoever, I have again installed Windows 7 (64bit) on the newly re-formatted drive.  Windows download for important updates only.

I will be as you say - installing Aces High completely fresh, no shortcuts. No CH Control Manager, No email etc

The other things I am doing is back to Microsoft Security Essentials (So as not to annoy Skuzzy by using Nortons  ;) ).
I am curious about what drivers I need to install, so initially none!

I have a few minutes ago just saved two links on my Web browser the BB and the Hightechs main page. So now off to download AH again!

I will check the event viewer if anything strange happens, It's something I never used to use but I have recently used it when looking for the results of my last Chkdsk which incidentally was clean.

Edit:
With everything so basic there was still no difference. I had forgotten just how many adjustments you have to do to set the game up! Ah well, it looks like I will only be playing AH in Windows XP

If I find the time, I might try the 32bit version as I have both versions in the retail pack.

It was just something I'd noticed as something you had brought over from the original setup.  I figured I would mention it as when I start troubleshooting I know it's awful easy to miss the forest for the trees.  Truly an odd situation.  I assume Event Viewer was a bust?

There are far better minds than mine at play in this thread, I hope you'll find a resolution.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2013, 06:08:01 PM »
I hope you'll find a resolution.

I think it must have been my hardware being too old for the 64bit version of windows to run 100% stable. While everything else was apparently OK in 64bit the problem simply would not go away in AH.

I have just been online and had around 5 sorties and no problems - I am now using the 32bit version of Windows 7 complete with CH manager installed and various other bit and bobs as I re-instate all my programs. So unless I post again I think you can consider the issue resolved.

My thanks for all the contributions from everyone

:cheers: