Author Topic: PBY Catalina  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: PBY Catalina
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 04:32:47 PM »
Imma start a thread to have cavalry added to WWI arena.

Why not for a WW2 wish?  Cavalry was used during the war, primarily on the Eastern Front with a few SS cavalry units.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 04:41:22 PM »
Imma start a thread to have cavalry added to WWI arena.

:D

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 07:36:32 AM »
I've suggested something similar in the past, however as far as how long the boat is visible, I wouldn't have it be tied to the proximity of the PBY, but make it a "last spotted" thing. Say, PBY approaches the boat and the clipboard map updates. So long as the PBY is in continuous contact with the CV, its position is continually refreshed. If the PBY is shot down or leaves X distance, the boat's icon remains on the map as a "Last Known Position" for a period of time (whether it's 15-30mins, or whatever) before being removed.

I'd like to see the Sunderland added as well.  But either way...just adding either one of these aircraft wouldn't it mean tweaking the game play?
As a patrol aircraft....wouldn't that  imply seeing a CV at a greater range?  Which means that CV's would become more vulnerable. So would CV respawn time have to be decreased?  And also...as a flying boat would that mean only available from port? How about the ability to drop mines?

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 08:15:52 AM »
I've suggested something similar in the past, however as far as how long the boat is visible, I wouldn't have it be tied to the proximity of the PBY, but make it a "last spotted" thing. Say, PBY approaches the boat and the clipboard map updates. So long as the PBY is in continuous contact with the CV, its position is continually refreshed. If the PBY is shot down or leaves X distance, the boat's icon remains on the map as a "Last Known Position" for a period of time (whether it's 15-30mins, or whatever) before being removed.
I like it, I'm tired of going on hour and a half CV scout missions in B-24's.  :aok
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 11:47:56 AM »
My hope for any sea-based spotting aircraft is for it to essentially be a mobile radar similar to that of any CV group.  I would hate to have HTC add the PBY Catalina and it become a hanger queen except for SEA/AvA events.   But as a portable mobile spotting aircraft including the ability to put on the clipboard map any enemy CV group and aircraft would be a real game-changer and give this bird a solid role in Aces High.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 12:55:27 PM »
I think its primary value would be that its the only armed aircraft available from ports. Lets be realistic, unless you need a location ASAP, or are on extended patrol (searching for a stolen CV?), there are simply more effective scouting aircraft. Hell, in some respects, a Ju-87 would be a better scout aircraft.

But nothing but the PBY and Storch would be available at the ports.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 01:28:47 PM »
My hope for any sea-based spotting aircraft is for it to essentially be a mobile radar similar to that of any CV group.  I would hate to have HTC add the PBY Catalina and it become a hanger queen except for SEA/AvA events.   But as a portable mobile spotting aircraft including the ability to put on the clipboard map any enemy CV group and aircraft would be a real game-changer and give this bird a solid role in Aces High.
pretty much any of the carrier planes could be programmed to fill that role, especially the sbd, tbm and a6m2, d4y, make it an option like score as fighter or attack.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 01:33:58 PM »

If you're going to ask for AWACS, at least ask for something that actually had radar to search for aerial targets (F4U-2, F6F-5N, etc).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 02:35:05 PM »
If you're going to ask for AWACS, at least ask for something that actually had radar to search for aerial targets (F4U-2, F6F-5N, etc).
If you're referring to the magnetron/T-R switch types installed on aircraft, they were very basic only able to identify fairly close large targets - ideal for night fighters and finding bomber formations.  A PBY spot variety had 2-4 spotters with bino's that could track and identify but was of course reliant on good weather and daylight.

But to simplify the process - just give a spotting aircraft a 5-10 mile radar spread...  :D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:38:41 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 02:39:19 PM »
If this were X-plane there would already be multiple PBY's that would look great but fly stupid. It would be nice to have a seaplane but it is hard to see what it would be used for in the game as it is now with the exception of special events. It is just too bad there is only so much Hitech time to go around, and I personally would hate it if they ever left the straight forward subscription model of business, or started adding dumbed down cardboard planes.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2013, 02:40:11 PM »
If you're referring to the magnetron/T-R switch types installed on aircraft, they were very basic only able to identify fairly close large targets.  A PBY spot variety had 2-4 spotters with bino's that could track and identify but was of course reliant on good weather and daylight.

Then no dar ring. The PBY 'crew' (player) would simply report on channel all observed contacts.

I would recommend them being able to put markers on the map but that would just be inviting
all sorts of mischief.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, 02:41:24 PM »
If this were X-plane there would already be multiple PBY's that would look great but fly stupid. It would be nice to have a seaplane but it is hard to see what it would be used for in the game as it is now with the exception of special events. It is just too bad there is only so much Hitech time to go around, and I personally would hate it if they ever left the straight forward subscription model of business, or started adding dumbed down cardboard planes.

Don't put that out in the 'verse!

:eek:

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 03:13:07 PM »
Don't put that out in the 'verse!

:eek:

Let me put it this way: Cardboard planes and freemium would be grounds for a class action lawsuit on behalf of all AH players past, present, future, living or dead, or, as yet unborn or un-conceived, throughout the universe in perpetuity.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 03:30:47 PM »
Let me put it this way: Cardboard planes and freemium would be grounds for a class action lawsuit on behalf of all AH players past, present, future, living or dead, or, as yet unborn or un-conceived, throughout the universe in perpetuity.

That's still going out in the `verse.

Coming on 15 years of AH as well as HiTech's experience and contributions prior, not to mention (though I am) his character known
to most of the players who loyally enjoy his game, I'm of the mind that threat of a law suit, seriously or in jest (and yes, I know it's in jest), is still unwarranted.

Now, having said that, I agree that such would be a travesty - but I don't see such ever happening.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 03:41:47 PM by Arlo »

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2013, 07:41:46 PM »
Little video about the Black Cat PBYs in the Pacific - note the bombload and was that a TORP I saw??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vs_QSyvJ0c