Author Topic: GROUND VEHICLE ONLY ARENA  (Read 6436 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
Re: GROUND VEHICLE ONLY ARENA
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 12:01:23 AM »
Umm, can't you just do this yourself by opening a custom arena and inviting GV'rs to come and play? Doesn't put any new work on the office and your wish is granted immediately. Yes, no, maybe?

:salute

The problem is that the "invite" part doesn't work very well in AH.  A good example is Trinity Tank Town.  Maybe nobody reads the text buffer any more?

MH

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 12:12:47 AM »
In view of the ever decreasing attendance and the resulting gameplay issues, any idea to further split up the numbers is a bad one in my opinion.

been hearing this since i joined about 7 years ago.  you would think by now I would be the only one left.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 01:18:42 AM »
Actually we had this over at Warbirds as far back as 2001. It was called Armored Assault and many players fought in both this, the main arena as well as Dawn of Aces so the splitting up would not be as severe as one would think. I, myself, would bounce back and forth between these arenas in a single night for a little fun everywhere.
quote]

Great example, from a game that is slowly dying.  Yeah lets use some of those ideas.  Their GV arena is empty 99% of the time.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 01:20:55 AM »
Select the best maps that are suited for GV's like CraterMa, Smpizza, and a couple others.
The WWI terrain could be put into the rotation as well.There are over 20 vehicles now to do battle.
When there is a good GV battle going the players involved are oblivious to the winning the map.
An arena without Bomb t's would be sweet ! Time for a GV only arena.

:salute

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.. ............here, have a tissue, wipe the snot off your nose, grab a plane and go shoot them down.  Harsh I know, but real.

Besides, I gotta funny feeling it would get old hearing, "Hey guys come to the GV arena", "Hey guys there are 2 of us in the GV arena now come on its fun", "hey guys the main arena sucks come to the GV arena with me and my 2 friends there", about 30 times an hour on 200 from 2 or 3 guys continuously who got tired of being alone.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 01:26:00 AM by Zoney »
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 01:46:28 AM »
Besides, I gotta funny feeling it would get old hearing, "Hey guys come to the GV arena", "Hey guys there are 2 of us in the GV arena now come on its fun", "hey guys the main arena sucks come to the GV arena with me and my 2 friends there", about 30 times an hour on 200 from 2 or 3 guys continuously who got tired of being alone.

:lol  :aok

Offline Blinder

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 04:24:15 AM »

Actually we had this over at Warbirds as far back as 2001. It was called Armored Assault and many players fought in both this, the main arena as well as Dawn of Aces so the splitting up would not be as severe as one would think. I, myself, would bounce back and forth between these arenas in a single night for a little fun everywhere.

Great example, from a game that is slowly dying.  Yeah lets use some of those ideas.  Their GV arena is empty 99% of the time.

It's been slowly dying for over a decade now. How much slower can it go? And if they only charged 14.95 instead of 24.95 a month I'd bet their numbers would swell too. Its not the platform Zoney ...it's the culture, the cost and the customer service that drives people away from IEN.

Sodo and I used to have some classic battles against each other in Armoured Assault. Why have a closed mind about something you probably never tried?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 04:27:18 AM by Blinder »
Fighter pilots win glory .... Bomber pilots win wars.

17th Guards Air Assault Regiment (VVS) "Badenov's Red Raiders"

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2013, 06:11:25 AM »
I have only ever found one or two people ever, if I'm lucky in Armored Assault and the slow death is very noticeable when you only check in at WB every now and then.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 08:01:55 AM »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 08:10:20 AM »

So now all you hear on country channel is "there has to be 30 guys in gv's at 85, no wonder we can't take any bases". What is the big freking deal about trying it for a month or so, if you don't want to go in there then don't. And I would bet that there would be more players in there than you would think.

Also -1 to the DA and -1 to custom arena
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 09:15:34 AM »

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.. ............here, have a tissue, wipe the snot off your nose, grab a plane and go shoot them down.  Harsh I know, but real.
<snip>

Not the solution, as you would realize if you ever tried it.  (Kind of like getting advice on sex from a virgin).  In the first place, the very fact that you have to ditch your GV, go to a base 1-2 sectors away, up a fighter, and fly back to the scene of the crime obviously ruins your GV fight.  In the second place, when one does this, most of the time the offender isn't there any more by the time you get back.  And of course, all the time you have to waste doing this means you aren't GVing.  Upping a Wirble (though less effective) produces the same effect.  Yes you can often drive the attacking AC out of range or even kill them, but then you are stuck in a Wirble watching grass grow.  If you ditch the Wirble and start developing your position in a GV (which often takes time), they come back.  Rinse and repeat, ad nauseum ...

BTW, note that the essential problem described above is not that one needs to respond to events in the game (which is integral to most game play), but instead the problem is the differing time frames required to develop a fight in GVs versus in AC.  The former is 10 times the latter, roughly proportional to the speed difference of the respective platforms, with the additional need to take terrain into account in developing the GV fight.  

MH
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:49:37 AM by TDeacon »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 09:16:23 AM »
been hearing this since i joined about 7 years ago.  you would think by now I would be the only one left.

semp

See this weeks cartoon!

As to the OP, this would work just like the EW, MW, and AvA works. Even tho nobody worries about score  :rolleyes: Most players who do will stay in LW, that will show the larger numbers and so will draw those other who DON'T worry about score  :rolleyes: to LW for the battles and so the GV arena would be a ghost town.

I understand the frustration of those GV campers..... err battles. It is much the same as the frustration of the milk runner buffs who get caught by people like Lusche who enjoy looking for them. The same as those guys who just work to capture base after base and keep running into defenders. The same as the fighter jocks who are having a nice furball only to have it stopped by some guy dropping the FHs at one base or the other. I think it might have been Hitech who said "the game is all about pissing the other guy off".

So in that vien, I guess the game is working as designed  :P

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2013, 09:30:04 AM »
<snip>
As to the OP, this would work just like the EW, MW, and AvA works. Even tho nobody worries about score  :rolleyes: Most players who do will stay in LW, that will show the larger numbers and so will draw those other who DON'T worry about score  :rolleyes: to LW for the battles and so the GV arena would be a ghost town.

You may be right, but perhaps we should try something like the OP anyway.  If you are right, your suggestion is why I would prefer adjustments to the existing combined arenas to provide more consistently available  GV-centric areas without significant AC.  This is of course an *addition* the current game-play options, and shouldn't reduce your playing enjoyment, should you have different preferences ...

I understand the frustration of those GV campers..... err battles. It is much the same as the frustration of the milk runner buffs who get caught by people like Lusche who enjoy looking for them. The same as those guys who just work to capture base after base and keep running into defenders. The same as the fighter jocks who are having a nice furball only to have it stopped by some guy dropping the FHs at one base or the other. I think it might have been Hitech who said "the game is all about pissing the other guy off".

So in that vien, I guess the game is working as designed  :P

Not a good analogy.  With the OP, or with my alternative, there would still be opposition from equivalent platforms (i.e. other GVs).  A better analogy to the current GV-AC relationship is that of a 10-year-old fighting an 18-year-old (grossly imbalanced).  Although this style of play should still be supported in the game (because some people like it, and why not let them?), there needs to be in addition the opportunity for the 10-year-olds to have their own areas to play in as well.  As I have mentioned before, I think that such a change would increase the total subscribers, overall. 

MH
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:32:31 AM by TDeacon »

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2013, 09:42:58 AM »
The GV only,,,,, subscribers,, have not got a place to play guaranteed, on every map in the game,, and those that can't or don't fly have no way to respond to being bombed or shot up by planes,,, I don't know how many of those there are, but they should be represented somehow!  The DA GV town could work, but last I remember, I was hard to find an instant fight like you can in the main arena TT areas,, a revamp of that might well be an idea,,,,,,
Or,,,   Drain crator lake and let GV's fight it out on the dry lake bed under the furball
Flying since tour 71.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2013, 09:51:02 AM »
You may be right, but perhaps we should try something like the OP anyway.  If you are right, your suggestion is why I would prefer adjustments to the existing combined arenas to provide more consistently available  GV-centric areas without significant AC.  This is of course an *addition* the current game-play options, and shouldn't reduce your playing enjoyment, should you have different preferences ...

Not a good analogy.  With the OP, or with my alternative, there would still be opposition from equivalent platforms (i.e. other GVs).  A better analogy to the current GV-AC relationship is that of a 10-year-old fighting an 18-year-old (grossly imbalanced).  Although this style of play should still be supported in the game (because some people like it, and why not let them?), there needs to be in addition the opportunity for the 10-year-olds to have their own areas to play in as well.  As I have mentioned before, I think that such a change would increase the total subscribers, overall. 

MH

Twist the analogy any way you want, it is true and very easy to prove.

Tuesday brings the start of a new campaign. Open a custom room with GV friendly setup, use Greebos map. Advertise to all your GV buddies that your going to try and keep the arena full 24/7 for the month to prove that a GV arena is a good idea. I'll bet you dont make a week.

People flock to the numbers even at the expense of having their fun ruined by the next guy. A GV only arena wouldn't work. 

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2013, 09:58:42 AM »
<snip>
Tuesday brings the start of a new campaign. Open a custom room with GV friendly setup, use Greebos map. Advertise to all your GV buddies that your going to try and keep the arena full 24/7 for the month to prove that a GV arena is a good idea. I'll bet you dont make a week.

People flock to the numbers even at the expense of having their fun ruined by the next guy. A GV only arena wouldn't work.  

I fly/GV alone, and always have, so have no on-line "buddies".  Also, if you read my previous post (earlier in the page) real-time advertising in AH doesn't work, as in the example I gave for Trinity Tank Town, back when it was still in the rotation.  People don't read the text buffers (and given the crap in 200 these days, I don't blame them).  Yet, the CraterMA TT population shows what sort of response dedicated GV areas can bring.  

So my previous recommendation still stands...

MH
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 10:00:28 AM by TDeacon »