Author Topic: Seeking trainer for basic ACM  (Read 567 times)

Offline CMan

• Zinc Member
Seeking trainer for basic ACM
« on: October 09, 2013, 07:07:29 AM »
All,

I have been playing AH on and off for quite some time, and while I enjoy and have gotten pretty decent at most aspects of the game, I find my aerial combat skills still quite lacking. My dog fighting technique essentially consists of nothing more complicated than point guns at red guy and shoot. I manage to get some kills this way, but I'm certainly not at the level I would like to be. I know I'm doing it wrong, but I am having some difficulty in knowing exactly what it is that I *should* be doing.

I think I have a decent grasp of BFM (though I wouldn't mind having someone more knowledgeable than myself validate this), and I've read up on basic ACM concepts; but I still seem to have trouble thinking in those terms in the heat of a fight. In most cases I don't realize until it's too late that I made the completely wrong move.

My situational awareness needs improvement as well, but I do at least have an understanding of what exactly I need to do there, so I think I can improve this in time. When it comes to ACM though, it seems like I've hit a wall.

In light of this, if possible I would like to spend some time with a trainer to get started on the path of flying with a purpose and an idea about what I am doing other than point nose at bad guy. I am in the US Central timezone, and tend to be on after 6-7PM weekdays, and am available most weekends. I have been flying predominantly spits and the yak3 for dog fighting, though I do fly other aircraft as well for other roles.

Thanks!

--
CMan
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 07:10:24 AM by CMan »

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Re: Seeking trainer for basic ACM
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »
I think a lot of people find themselves in your situation at one time or another.  I'd suggest that you might accelerate the learning curve by winging up.  Seldom did a pilot fly alone in a mission in WWII.  By winging up you will see the most common mistakes we each make and you will have a second pair of eyes calling out targets and reminding you "Not to get slow" or "don't fall for the rope".  You are welcome to wing up for a flight or a night with the 113th Lucky Strikes , Vox 113, we fly as Knights and we fly the P38 as winged pairs in the attack mode.  We start operations around 7:PM EST, in the LWA.  You can check out our wiki page and watch the films.  Good luck.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 08:41:27 AM »
If you can't find anyone to wing up or find it a bit difficult to keep up with them, then see if anyone would let you join their plane. Watch the fight from their perspective and find out what they're doing differently from what you would have done. Good luck with your improvement! The trainers really know their stuff and are great guys!  :aok

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 10:27:39 AM »
Cman, I'm sure a trainer will be along to set up a training session or two. Also don't be afraid to ask for help in the TA even if it's not from an official trainer most are willing to lend a hand. I was in there last night when you came in but it was getting late for me and I was getting ready to call it a night, as were most of the others. If you could make it into the TA a little earlier that would increase the your odds of finding someone in there. TA seems to have most of it's activity from about 7:00 pm pdt to 9:00pm pdt for US players. There may be some activity in there before 5:00 pm pdt but I rarely get in there before that time. If you see me in the TA hit me up and I'll help you as much as I can. Also look at the films Vudu15 has done you should find them on the same page in the forums as this thread.

Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 03:18:50 PM »
Cman,

I was busy with another player when you logged into the TA lastnight and by the time I noticed your text you had left the arena!

I'm usually in the TA between 9 pm and 11 pm eastern, Mondays to Thursdays.

Feel free to look me up and I'll be glad to see if I can be of help.

:salute

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 03:48:54 PM »
Cman I can make Friday at 8 PM. Let me know if that works for you.

Offline CMan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 04:41:57 PM »
Thanks all,

I knew it was pretty late in the TA last night and everyone was busy, so no worries. I wasn't really expecting anyone to be available for actual training that late, just wanted to get an idea of the process to get started, which BigRat covered nicely, as well as some other tips. Thanks again BR! I'll try and get to the TA a bit earlier and see if anyone's around.

I have seen the vudu15 videos, stumbled upon those a couple of weeks ago. They are quite good, but I sorta felt like they were all either very beginner oriented (here's the map, here's how dar works, here's how to setup vox type things) or more advanced fighting where I was struggling at times to understand everything that was happening. I think that's partially where my stumbling block is, I'm past the getting used to the game particulars stage, but not really to the point of gaining much from seeing particular maneuvers put to use in very specific situations, if that makes any sense at all  :D

As far as winging up, this is something I have thought about, but I'm not sure I would be much more than an observer. Certainly I wouldn't be much use for traditional wingman tactics, and I don't think it's realistic to expect someone to be explaining what they're doing in the middle of a fight. I see this being much more useful once I've gained a foothold though, and I will definitely keep it in mind. I do like the idea of joining up as an observer though. Need to poke some of my squaddies about this...

FLS: Friday at 8PM sounds good, I assume we're talking about 8PM CST?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 05:05:34 PM »
Yes 8 PM your time. If you want to start earlier 7 would be OK too.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 05:11:14 PM »
Cman another great source of info is http://www.netaces.org/ there is a bunch of useful information there that should help you bridge the gap between beginner, and advanced.

Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54