Author Topic: Eliminate zone bases...  (Read 4515 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Eliminate zone bases...
« on: October 09, 2013, 02:00:45 PM »
... as they are a gameplay paradox - They do not promote combat, they largely prevent it.

Instead of being key bases that are ferociously fought over, they are bases that a reasonable attacker doesn't want to capture and the defender doesn't want to hold - in fact, losing a zone base best thing thing that can happen to one side, as it then can go on conquering the map without having to worry too much about their own starts and thus downtimes of their own  towns, ords and so on.

For days, Bish ignored A128 until they won the map

Remove the zone base status from the three large maps and let people fight for them instead of avoiding them!  :old:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 04:56:15 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
Re: Elimiate zone bases...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 02:20:47 PM »
... as they are a gameplay paradox - They do not promote combat, they largely prevent it.

Instead of being key bases that are ferociously fought over, they are bases that a reasonable attacker doesn't want to capture and the defender doesn't want to hold - in fact, losing a zone base best thing thing that can happen to one side, as it then can go on conquering the map without having to worry too much about their own starts and thus downtimes or towns, ords and so on.

(Image removed from quote.)

Remove the zone base status from the three large maps and let people fight for them instead of avoiding them!  :old:

+1  :aok

If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 02:22:45 PM »
It's hard to argue with logic.  +1
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Gemini

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 03:05:10 PM »
good wish, bad thread title ;) :aok

God Bless America!  :salute

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 03:29:05 PM »
bad thread title

Maybe you could explain?

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 03:32:08 PM »
Well, a mix of the old strat system with the current may work.  The Capital is in the back, where it belongs, with the old strat's (city, ords, etc.) will be up front.  The only zone bases are for control of the outlying strats.

Something like this?

As for the OP, I agree.  +1.  Using your picture as example, if you removed the current zone system and the nits took 141, nits would be in a position to inflict a LOT of damage to the bish supply lines (even with gv's if someone was willing to take the time and risk).  Nits would definitely get some fighting in, but only after some effort was put in as the bish may probably ignore it initially, until the nits have inflicted enough damage for them to feel it. :)
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline kano

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 03:34:36 PM »
+1 make them fight for the protection of the strats.

EatG
The Few

S/L No 32 squadron BoB 2013

Eats Eagle

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 03:41:04 PM »
I agree with leaving the strats up front where they can be hit with Bostons, Ju88's, and other range limited bombers.

On the same note, I wish for a high alt base near the front line strats (6k) that will help the defenders reach the higher altitudes for a legit defense. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 03:51:36 PM »
I'll say +1, even though I honestly don't know what they are even after all these years.  I get that if you lose one your strats retreat, don't know if there;s any more to it.  I could care less about winning the war but I will occasionally do everything I can to take or defend a base.  If it promotes red guys and green guys in the same sector then let the granting commence.
AMAX  in game

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 03:52:55 PM »

Maybe you could explain?

Folks with smarts have to spell titles correctly  :D
AMAX  in game

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 03:58:14 PM »
Folks with smarts have to spell titles correctly  :D

Unfortunately those who aren't that smart (or are suffering from certain conditions which make correct spelling difficult) have to rely on the spell checker, which doesn't check the thread title...   :old:

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 04:16:10 PM »
My spell checker is part of my browser so everything I type anywhere is always being spell checked.  Of coarse it cant cache sum wards sew I half two get the dictionary out witch is a pane.
AMAX  in game

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Eliminate zone bases...
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 04:59:27 PM »
+1  the whole transporting of the strats has never sat well with me.  

There must be another way to give it increased gameplay options whilst not crippling one teams chances by the drive our CV straight to the strats habit.

I guess it is tough because it relies on the actual map and they are all very different!
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 08:20:41 PM »

Instead of being key bases that are ferociously fought over, they are bases that a reasonable attacker doesn't want to capture and the defender doesn't want to hold - in fact, losing a zone base best thing thing that can happen to one side, as it then can go on conquering the map without having to worry too much about their own starts and thus downtimes of their own  towns, ords and so on.

(Image removed from quote.)

Remove the zone base status from the three large maps and let people fight for them instead of avoiding them!  :old:

Just put all strat in the rear......no country in the real would have their factories on the front lines
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 09:36:44 PM »
Just put all strat in the rear......no country in the real would have their factories on the front lines

Um, the issue is a bit bigger then that.   ;)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.