Author Topic: Considering something...  (Read 4434 times)

Offline KCDitto

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
Re: Considering something...
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2013, 05:40:55 PM »
I could find a guy or two..........  :aok

Ditto  "WHITE 11"
"Masters of the Air" Scenario -JG54

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2013, 05:57:29 PM »
I think I can see some of my K4's in that pic :aok

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2013, 06:18:18 PM »
If it is alright, I'd like to go with JG11 next scenario, if they'll have me.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 01:37:58 AM »
Side Switching: No

Something like the Battle of Wake Island (2-3 Frames?) leading into Coral Sea (3 Frames?) and then into Midway (3-4 Frames?) scenario setup would be awesome.  I hope we have the TBD Devastator by then, though the TBM could still be the sub.  One thing though, NO 5" manned guns.  I wouldn't allow the quad 40's man-able either.  The twins would be pushing it, but a more "realistic" way to go.  Would give the torpedo bombers a chance.

We do that, I'm DEFINITELY flying the B5N, unless we get the TBD.  Then I'm flying that. :D

There is a decent chance that I could make all frames IF they were held on Saturdays as usual.  If you end up running any during the week however, then I wouldn't be able to attend them.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 09:37:38 AM »
If it is alright, I'd like to go with JG11 next scenario, if they'll have me.

Should we participate, you would be welcome, of course, Del.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2013, 08:58:43 AM »
I think the point of switching sides is to level the playing field in some battles. The plane sets offer a variety of weakness and strengths for both, but in most cases the AXIS side. Of course, it's not always that decided. We all know pilot skills count for much of the battle. Coral Sea is a prime example. It offers folks time in the Japanese rides and Allied and sets it with carriers to boot. It's a classic battle.

I would hope that folks would try one, just to say they tried it. It's fun and a page in history. Nice to see it from the opposing side.

On the topic at hand, a longer scenario is hard to get folks to commit past 4 frames. There are those die-hards that can sit thru them. I can't do 12 frames for sure. I think that was Longbow. I may have done 6 or 8 but not consecutive.

I think 6 -8 frames might be tolerable for many. The planning for that has to be right on the money, the Side CO and Staff have to be in tune with each other in order to pull it off. Speaking as a former side CO, it's a lot of work to get that many folks in place each time and keep the peace!  :)
Interesting idea though.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2013, 11:23:19 AM »
Longbow was 18 frames (!).

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2013, 02:19:18 PM »
The 18 frames is the reason Longbow was nicknamed 'Longbutt'. Those 18 frames had the ability to make your a** as wide as a truck.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2013, 03:28:14 PM »
Longbow was my first time ever as a GL and I loved it to start, outside of the Spitfire range complaint...but that's another story :).  It was the first time I had the 'in the cockpit' feeling in a scenario which is the drug that keeps me around for scenarios.

But it dragged as it got past the first batch of 6 frames.  Keep in mind that crowd had a far better attention span than the current crop of cartoon pilots, and they were on the whole, more invested in the history.  I think it's a real balancing act to keep folks invested and the number of frames is one of those things that makes a difference.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2013, 04:12:33 PM »
     Longbow is a thing of the past, we can't get guys to commit to 4 frames these days, much less
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2013, 07:38:36 PM »
Very helpful input all around.  Thank you for offering up your ideas and suggestions.

If testing goes well, then that last piece of a puzzle will be in place for what I'd like to run.  If it doesn't hold up, you all have outlined another good direction to go.

Yes, sadly, I agree with the sentiment that longbow is history, and I don't forsee a long running full blown scenario anywhere in the near future.  I can see that "style" of event coming forward, a long term progressive type event, but not on the scale of a Longbow scenario.

4 to 6 frames is about as long as people can seem to hang on, but I won't immediately place that on the players attention span, I have to consider the events themselves as not being able to sustain energy and enthusiasm, but we are working on that one :)

I do know that strong COs are more than capable of handling any battle, any theater, any time period, and would like to discuss some opportunities and ideas with those who might wish to lead the next few events.  Let me know, in here, or via pm if you are interested in taking a leadership role.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 07:40:51 PM by ROC »
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline BFOOT1

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2013, 12:36:42 PM »
I think we'd give you a run for your money  :aok

(Image removed from quote.)
Hey I see our 355th FG right behind the 364th!
Yes Ditto we do have a score to settle indeed, I'd love another 8th AF vs LW fight at 28k above Germany  :salute Man that was fun
Member of G3MF
III Gruppe, 8 Staffel, JG52, flying Black 12 (Kuban Scenario)

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2013, 04:23:04 PM »

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2013, 12:10:55 PM »
However it works out I hope it is a PTO event, so I could actually fly a scenario again. Probably just wish full thinking on my part  :old:

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2013, 01:48:33 PM »
Probably just wish full thinking on my part

:pray

:angel:
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.