Author Topic: A6m5b Please check the model  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Re: A6m5b Please check the model
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 03:57:35 PM »
pretty much limited max dive speed to 460 mph

Just keep in mind that what a pilot manual and/or manufacturers suggested safety limits may be...that does not always jibe with the absolute mach limit of the airframes structure. 460 TAS mph is a good yardstick perhaps because the roll rate is uncontrollable at that speed and its elevetors will be stiff as well. It's telling operational pilots to beware of exceeding that but the airframe will still take it past that speed.

Went to the DA and dove it with film on. At @460 TAS the controls were all but useless. It completely broke apart at 558 TAS and to get it there I needed to trim down.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 04:22:38 PM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 04:05:48 PM »

Just keep in mind that what a pilot manual and/or manufacturers suggested safety limits may be...that does not always jibe with the absolute mach limit of the airframes structure. 460 TAS mph is a good yardstick perhaps because the roll rate is uncontrollable at that speed and its elevetors will be stiff as well. It's telling operational pilots to beware of exceeding that but the airframe will still take it past that speed.
I've read comments by Japanese pilots who did take their Zeros past their rated limits.  Always hard to decide where to set things like that in a game.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 04:00:53 AM »
I've read comments by Japanese pilots who did take their Zeros past their rated limits.  Always hard to decide where to set things like that in a game.
My problem with that is this. Pilot accounts about aircraft performance are not acceptable for plane performance in game . For example the Brewster. Also there is plenty of accounts of Zero's folding a wing up when in a dive. Many of those as pilot skill level fell for the IJN. I will devote some time to putting books on shelves tomorrow. I want the exact quote. It was not handling but structure that Hirokoshi was talking about when discussing dive limits.

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 07:57:36 AM »
As I said, handles like a pig.

If you are going this fast in a Zeke you are doing it wrong....   :D
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 11:17:39 AM »
If you are going this fast in a Zeke you are doing it wrong....   :D

Definitely the wrong tool for the go-fasty job. Plenty of others in the tool box for that.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 12:57:36 PM »
Highest speed I ever got a kill in an A6M5 at was about 425mph.  I didn't really have control, but as my nose was forced up it passed over the Spitfire Mk IX I was pursuing and I opened up on him, blowing a wing off.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 01:01:13 PM »
Test it Karnak you will see.