Author Topic: .50 cal hitting power  (Read 1250 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: .50 cal hitting power
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 09:09:33 AM »

No, only the F4U-1A (marginally) and F4U-4 (a lot) are faster. The 1D and 1C are a little bit slower, since they have fixed pylons adding drag. I think the 1C also adds a bit of parasitic drag due to the increased weight of the cannon.

I don't think the "drag" is even worth mentioning, really. I've not tested the F4U's because I do not fly them much, but the Mossi Mk VI flies the same speed empty or with 2/500 lbs in the bomb bay.  Climb, acceleration, and turn are different, but not top speed. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 09:42:48 AM »
I don't think the "drag" is even worth mentioning, really. I've not tested the F4U's because I do not fly them much, but the Mossi Mk VI flies the same speed empty or with 2/500 lbs in the bomb bay.  Climb, acceleration, and turn are different, but not top speed. 
I seem to recall a 1mph difference on that load.  I'll check my spreadsheet when I get home.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 12:21:10 PM »
That would be neat 1200 rpm rather than 800rpm.
wow i could only imagine the buzz saw the 47 would be lol
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 03:45:23 PM »
I seem to recall a 1mph difference on that load.  I'll check my spreadsheet when I get home.

For an actuary the value of 1 mph difference while traveling 340mph may be relative if the distance traveled is hundreds and hundreds of miles but in AH it is irrelevant.  The acceleration, climb, and turn are an issue though.  As I dug through my notes on the differences in speeds and climb rates for the different ordnance packages on the Mossi Mk VI, I did come across a little note of mine saying "less than 1 mph" difference with only the 2/500 lb bomber vs having an empty bomb bay.  Mind you, that was testing with 25% fuel so it might be larger if the Mossi is further weighed down by larger fuel amounts.  I didn't test that.

About the only planes in AH that I take in to consideration of "just how active will I be in fighter mode after the ord is gone", are the Mossi and P38.  If while in the Mossi I'm going to be providing top cover I'll take the 2 bombs and leave the rockets (and racks) behind, the P38L not so much but I will be much more careful about tight maneuvers. The rocket racks on both add a major amount of drag that not only do the flat numbers show the difference (speed and climb) but the handling is noticeably different as well.  
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 03:51:27 PM »
Anyway, my point was that the 1D is demonstrably slower than the -1, which would rule out increased speed adding hitting power to the Brownings.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 07:47:28 PM »
I remembered incorrectly.  The Mossie VI tops out at 357mph on the deck with 50% fuel and nothing in the bomb bay and 357mph on the deck with 50% fuel and two 500lb bombs in the bomb bay.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-