Author Topic: Mr. Coombz  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Mr. Coombz
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2013, 10:13:53 AM »
One would have to be very self-absorbed to not be aware of what was coming.

Let's see.  We edit posts, reflecting the reason for the edit.  We suspend the person for X period of time, and we will do that for X number of times, extending the suspension each time.  In those suspensions, there is a strike count message you get when you attempt to login (this is something we do for those who are passed two strikes).

There should be no surprises.

I am always amazed at those who complain about someone being banned from the board, citing so-and-so is far worse, yet those same people NEVER use the "Report to moderator" link.  Just FYI, and you know who you are, your opinion in these matters carries zero weight.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2013, 10:26:55 AM »
So how many suspensions are you allowed before being banned? And is being banned mean forever? Also, are suspensions dropped from your record after a certain time period?  :noid
Lighten up Francis

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2013, 11:06:34 AM »
Does having an active subscription to the game allow any more leeway with regards to PNG's from the BBS?  I can completely understand removing trouble makers, especially when they aren't contributing financially to the business operation.  Conversely, I would think that those players using the BBS who contribute their $ to the game may be less likely to be completely kicked off the BBS system.  I'm not saying their is unfairness in moderation Skuzzy at all, I think things are pretty even handed even if I disagree with a couple of the policies myself.  I just think that people who aren't helping the company survive in any fashion have ANY right to complain about anything, much less being kicked out after multiple warnings.

I've always enjoyed Coombz, but I know for a fact that he was going to stop playing the game once the BoB scenario ended.  That's his business of course, but I can't help but not feel too sorry for him if he decided to stick around the BBS and still create some havoc after un subbing.  I realize that a few guys will have seen his posts that got him PNG'd, and are thinking that they've seen far worse posts with less punishment.  That may be true, but I think those folks probably either haven't had as many warnings, or have been loyal long time customers who although still have the same rules applied to them, perhaps get a longer leash when it comes to actually getting the PNG.  I could be wrong, but I would assume from Skuzzy's past posts on the subject that HTC realizes that the odds of them keeping a subscriber around once they get a PNG on the bbs is probably not very high.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2013, 11:09:49 AM »
Nope, I won't miss that one.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2013, 11:12:16 AM »
It's not all that difficult to follow the rules.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2013, 11:18:38 AM »
Does having an active subscription to the game allow any more leeway with regards to PNG's from the BBS?  I can completely understand removing trouble makers, especially when they aren't contributing financially to the business operation.  Conversely, I would think that those players using the BBS who contribute their $ to the game may be less likely to be completely kicked off the BBS system.  I'm not saying their is unfairness in moderation Skuzzy at all, I think things are pretty even handed even if I disagree with a couple of the policies myself.  I just think that people who aren't helping the company survive in any fashion have ANY right to complain about anything, much less being kicked out after multiple warnings.

I've always enjoyed Coombz, but I know for a fact that he was going to stop playing the game once the BoB scenario ended.  That's his business of course, but I can't help but not feel too sorry for him if he decided to stick around the BBS and still create some havoc after un subbing.  I realize that a few guys will have seen his posts that got him PNG'd, and are thinking that they've seen far worse posts with less punishment.  That may be true, but I think those folks probably either haven't had as many warnings, or have been loyal long time customers who although still have the same rules applied to them, perhaps get a longer leash when it comes to actually getting the PNG.  I could be wrong, but I would assume from Skuzzy's past posts on the subject that HTC realizes that the odds of them keeping a subscriber around once they get a PNG on the bbs is probably not very high.

I doubt that it has anything to do with money and everything to do with the number of times a person's posts are reported.

I could be confused by this information, however.

If you are referring to a personal attack, via a PM, that counts double (or more), if it is reported.  That's the trick.  If no one reports it, then the person gets away with it.

We do not, nor cannot, read every post on the bulletin board.  We never know what is in a PM either.  It is up to the community to make the reports using the link in each post/PM.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:20:13 AM by VonMessa »
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2013, 11:19:21 AM »
I agree Rogwar.  We've been here about the same amount of time and use the BBS about the same amount I would say.  You don't have to like the rules, you just have to follow them.

There ARE other venues for online sim pilots if they want to discuss things that aren't permitted here.

edit - Vonmessa, you're probably 80 percent right, and my point anyway isn't so much about paying customers, as non-paying users of the BBS.  It's pretty easy to drop dead or troublesome weight if you're getting no benefit from it.  It's like packing rocks in your rucksack - there just isn't any benefit...unless you like rocks I guess.

Think of ALL the havoc Coombz has caused.  I know it's a lot, because it used to entertain me.  I'm sure it doesn't entertain Skuzzy nearly as much, who has to clean up the mess afterwards.  That said, don't you find it a little funny that after the years of edited posts and suspensions, that he gets a PNG days after he probably un subscribed?  It can't be a mere co-incidence that his BBS persona was tolerated as much as possible while he had an active subscription, but only a week or two at most after he told me several times he was un subbing after BoB, that the axe fell permanently then.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:25:30 AM by Gman »

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2013, 11:31:26 AM »
I am always amazed at those who complain about someone being banned from the board, citing so-and-so is far worse, yet those same people NEVER use the "Report to moderator" link.
eh... Last time when hitting the report button took effect was warbest's kill club thread  :lol
AoM
City of ice

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2013, 11:36:04 AM »
  It can't be a mere co-incidence that his BBS persona was tolerated as much as possible while he had an active subscription, but only a week or two at most after he told me several times he was un subbing after BoB, that the axe fell permanently then.

Yes it can and it is. His behavior got him the PNG not his participation or upcoming lack of it in the sim. The fact is you pay a price for your behavior. Trying to blame his PNG on ulterior motives instead of his own behavior and actions is just fooling yourself.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2013, 11:53:06 AM »
Where did you read that I said he wasn't PNG's for his behavior?  I stated pretty obviously that this was the case, so please don't put words in my mouth.  All I'm saying is there shouldn't be much bruhaha over it since he isn't putting any $ into the company.  I know for a fact that people who have been active subscribers HAVE been banned on the BBS, as Skuzzy has posted that this invariably results in an angry email, followed by an angry phone call, and then followed by a desubscription click.

It's just funny that it happened so closely to him quitting the game, which was my original point, that although as per the rules he probably deserved a PNG earlier, he didn't get it until after he un subscribed.

Shifty, are you a moderator on the BBS?  

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2013, 11:54:36 AM »
     Plus it might be possible that Coombz's decision to bail on the game might have eliminated what
little control he exercised vis a vis the BBS.  As in, screw it, I'm not playing anymore, why obey the
rules.  Not very mature, but certainly possible.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline MickDono

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2013, 11:58:02 AM »
He will be sorely missed.  A very talented fisherman that one.   :pray

Free Coombzy  :pray :pray

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 11:58:28 AM »
The game and the bulletin board are completely separate entities.  We do not pay attention to who has an account and who does not.  It is completely irrelevant.

All these rumors, and speculations presume a lot of complex entanglements and are based on pure speculation and innuendo. It is really quite simple.

If anyone shows continued disrespect for the forum posting rules, you will end up being permanently banned from these forums.  NOTE:  There is nothing in that statement concerning the game.

Every person is responsible for their own behavior.  If one cannot respect the rules for this forum, they will be gone.  It is that persons choice.  HTC is not the bad guy here.  We give everyone an equal amount of rope.  What you do with it, is up to you.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:59:59 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2013, 11:58:36 AM »
Yes it can and it is. His behavior got him the PNG not his participation or upcoming lack of it in the sim. The fact is you pay a price for your behavior. Trying to blame his PNG on ulterior motives instead of his own behavior and actions is just fooling yourself.

"Why must you be such an angry young man, when you're future looks quite bright to me?"
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2013, 11:59:44 AM »
Kind of funny really. Reminds me of recess on the playground in elementary school. Billy walks up to the boundary line and the teacher says "stay on the playground Billy", Billy stands there for a while and when the teacher looks away crosses the line, there is great gnashing of teeth and proclamations of innocence as Billy is led back into the school missing the balance of recess. You see a lot of this in game as well here.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11