Author Topic: I am sorta new  (Read 1295 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: I am sorta new
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2013, 11:33:13 PM »
I had a 70 LeSabre. I called it my boat.
It was a huge car :aok

:cheers: Oz

I once had a '70 Olds Cutlass with a 350 that literally floated at over 120 mph and, with a nice but nothing special '69 Malibu in between, before that had a '68 Chevy Impala station wagon with a 350 HP 327 (one of the upper tier (but not the top) engine options used in Corvette's that year) in it.

They were both boats but they were both fast.  The '64 Belaire and the '69 Plymouth Fury III before and after were just boats.

^
BaldEagl; the early driving years  :rofl
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2013, 08:15:09 AM »
How do you manage to derail a welcome thread. . .  :old:
Top Gun

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2013, 08:17:56 AM »
hmmmmm....derail. let's talk trains now  :aok

Offline LLv34_Dictonius

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2013, 12:22:10 PM »
Welcome!

If you see pictures of naked men in this forum, don't feel threatened - in finland we give warm welcomes in the form of sauna! :cheers:

Btw. put that in your to do list: to go Finland and take part of Virrat AH meeting, drink too much beer, jump in the frozen lake and then head back to sauna (to consume more beer again). Thats how you make real knives to a knife fight - iron needs to be quenched :lol
Current handle: Tikto
Member of the big finnish squadron Vaasan Vaakalentäjät

Offline Wildcatdad

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2013, 04:43:24 PM »
Welcome!

If you see pictures of naked men in this forum, don't feel threatened - in finland we give warm welcomes in the form of sauna! :cheers:

Btw. put that in your to do list: to go Finland and take part of Virrat AH meeting, drink too much beer, jump in the frozen lake and then head back to sauna (to consume more beer again). Thats how you make real knives to a knife fight - iron needs to be quenched :lol

Ummmmm? :headscratch: Thanks?
I'm just gonna back away slowly and.... :bolt:
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2013, 06:46:11 PM »
Welcome!

I just cancelled all future trips to Finland.  In fact, Finland just began to glow.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2013, 07:40:24 PM »
hay,

they just wanna quench your iron...

jatsh shexy
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2013, 07:49:59 PM »
If you have never experienced the full on assault of the Finns, in a scenario, flying drunk off their collective arses, while naked in the sauna, you simply haven't lived.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2013, 11:44:53 PM »
If you have never experienced the full on assault of the Finns, in a scenario, flying drunk off their collective arses, while naked in the sauna, you simply haven't lived.

I would rather rub crap in my hair so, no, thanks I'm good.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
I would rather rub crap in my hair so, no, thanks I'm good.
you did that already...didn't think you enjoyed it so much.  :lol
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2013, 12:43:00 AM »
Welcome.   :rock

I was new, back in May.  A few things:

1. You will become addicted.
2. You will still need to shower, and still try to eat at normal times.  And sleep.  Remember these things.
3. If you have teenage kids, they will smirk at your headset at first, then they will stand over your shoulder saying things like "go get that one, no over there, hey I wanna try, hey I want an account."
4. Eventually, you will quietly listen to the boss/wife/cop that pulled you over as they harass you, while your inner voice says "dude, you'd be so dead if I caught you on the deck with no E."
5. You will learn that thinking about how to maintain a perch above a furball while driving a real vehicle down the highway is not a good combination.
6. You will spend hours of your life learning that the mil tick marks in a tank reticule actually have meaning.  And you will become proficient at using them.
7. If your addiction gets really bad, and you travel for business, you will bring your headset and joystick with you on the road, and the 24 year old TSA agent at the Xray machine will look you intently for a moment, and quietly nod his head approvingly.
8. You will find yourself watching a war movie with your non-AH pals, and blurt out "NO WAY a Mark VI turrets from one round!... Err, anyone want a beer?"
9. You will begin to think you can fly commercial aircraft, if you really had to.
10. Your wife will say things like "your office now looks like a crack den", and you will respond "no, Tank Town is the crack den."  And she will not be amused.

Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2013, 01:54:08 PM »

2. You will still need to shower, and still try to eat at normal times.  And sleep.  Remember these things.
3. If you have teenage kids, they will smirk at your headset at first, then they will stand over your shoulder saying things like "go get that one, no over there, hey I wanna try, hey I want an account."
4. Eventually, you will quietly listen to the boss/wife/cop that pulled you over as they harass you, while your inner voice says "dude, you'd be so dead if I caught you on the deck with no E."
5. You will learn that thinking about how to maintain a perch above a furball while driving a real vehicle down the highway is not a good combination.
6. You will spend hours of your life learning that the mil tick marks in a tank reticule actually have meaning.  And you will become proficient at using them.
7. If your addiction gets really bad, and you travel for business, you will bring your headset and joystick with you on the road, and the 24 year old TSA agent at the Xray machine will look you intently for a moment, and quietly nod his head approvingly.
8. You will find yourself watching a war movie with your non-AH pals, and blurt out "NO WAY a Mark VI turrets from one round!... Err, anyone want a beer?"
9. You will begin to think you can fly commercial aircraft, if you really had to.
10. Your wife will say things like "your office now looks like a crack den", and you will respond "no, Tank Town is the crack den."  And she will not be amused.

This has to be one of the best welcome posts ever.  Hilariously accurate, too. 

Well done, Yankee.

:salute
Ryno
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2013, 04:27:29 PM »
Welcome. This thread has become very entertaining....

....and a lot of good advice can be found in SOME of the posts. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do. Here are some links to video clips for absolute beginners. They start very, Very, VERY simple, and progress to some fairly advanced stuff. I created these video clips to train a Boy Scout troop about 3 years ago. I hope it helps! There are about 29 separate video clips, averaging about 5 minutes each. Here's the link:

http://askmisterwizard.com/FlightSimMovies/AcesHigh/Training/AcesHighTrainingByPeabodyPage01Full.htm
 :salute

Offline Wildcatdad

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2013, 03:24:39 PM »

BEST ANSWER EVER!  :rock :salute
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.