Author Topic: "I have dared" achievement!  (Read 1723 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: "I have dared" achievement!
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 09:34:33 PM »
You will have zero SOURCES on what he said or wanted because HE WAS NEVER HEARD FROM AGAIN BY THE OUTSIDE WORLD.
Not for the rest of his life, and even after, no document or anything will be released until 2020s... at which point, due to falsifications, no live witnesses, nuthin, and all 75yrs too late, so anything released will have zero credibility./quote]
ok, yup whatever you say...you really should move out of the basement.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline CMan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 10:13:39 AM »
Wow. What a mess this has become  :lol

The best information I've seen indicates that Hess truly believed he was on a mission of peace with Britain and the western allies. Hess was a fully committed Nazi and strongly believed in the racial policies of the Nazi party. He saw the Brits and to a lesser extent the Americans as Germany's natural allies, as they share a common racial ancestry. Hess was attempting to negotiate for peace with the western allies to allow Germany to focus their efforts on the Soviets whom he saw as their greater enemy, and which Hitler always regarded as the ultimate prize. All information I have seen indicates that Hess was acting entirely on his own accord, and he wasn't exactly known for mental stability prior to this incident either.

And to address a side argument, the peace treaty between the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany was used by both sides as a way to temporarily avoid conflict. Neither Hitler nor Stalin believed that a war could be avoided. Hitler however wanted assurance that the invasions of Poland and later France would not be met with Soviet resistance (avoiding the two front war he tried so hard to prevent); and Stalin needed time to rebuild the Red Army following the purges in the 1930s.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 10:41:41 AM »
dam, i screwed up the quotes in my last post...  :headscratch:

Cman, everything i've seen and read on the nazi party from the beginning to the bitter end shows that hess was on a mission to help his own cause within the party, and that had he not been imprisoned as a pow, his return to berlin would have ended badly for him. he was a weak subservient minion to hitler and had no real power within the party.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline CMan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 12:22:40 PM »
Yes, what I've read seems to indicate that his mission was entirely on his own initiative, and Hitler was pretty PO'd about it. Had he ever returned to Germany, he likely would have been executed as a traitor.

I don't think he was necessarily entirely trying to help his own cause within the party, I think he genuinely believed that what he was doing was for the good of Nazi Germany. As I said, there are indications he wasn't mentally stable, and his actions were entirely his own, without any knowledge of anyone else in power. It seems plausible that he thought he was acting for the greater good, misguided though he may have been.

While he may not have had any real power within the party, he was still a noteworthy public figure. I still think most will find it very distasteful to have an achievement which involves emulating a prominent Nazi regardless of how powerful they may or may not have been, which was really my main point :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 12:30:53 PM by CMan »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »
I don't think an achievement honoring a high ranking member of the Nazi party is appropriate for this game.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song