Author Topic: Tutorial - The basics: How to control your plane (fun idea I had)  (Read 646 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
I decided to have a little fun and put my perspective of an Aces High tutorial into video form. This is a short tutorial of the absolute basics: Ailerons, Elevators, and Rudder - How to control your plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf6XJsyXLCo&feature=youtu.be

I have no idea if I'll continue this little project or not. Vudu already has some excellent tutorial videos, and HTC is coming out with some real soon as well so I don't know if I'm really needed in this department. This was really just something I did for fun. What do you guys think? Should I make more of these?

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Tutorial - The basics: How to control your plane (fun idea I had)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 05:52:57 PM »
 Should you continue......YES!

I think Skuzzy has invited anyone with a Utube channel to connect it to the AH channel. SO plz continue unless HTC says otherwise and plz link it to HTC's channel.

:salute

Offline Badger85

• Copper Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 05:53:41 PM »
Hi Latrobe,

What topics for tutorials do you have in mind? I think to answer your question, it would help to take a look at such a list. Having a large set of tutorials taking a beginner from the very basics of control surfaces down to advanced fighter tactics would be extremely useful. There is nothing of the sort out there yet for Aces High -- Vudu's videos are great but they're not presented in a chronological "lessons" format, and I'm not sure whether the AH team will make anything beyond a set of ACM videos (I could very well be wrong on the latter point, though). I think even experts in the game can benefit from such tutorials because the limitations of AH as a simulation allows players to "get away with" not knowing certain fundamental concepts in aviation (e.g. coordinated turns, proper landing procedure).

I think your videos exhibit the rare ability to demonstrate advanced dogfight tactics while still being patient enough to teach beginners the fundamentals. My vote would be for making more tutorials (as long as you continue to show advanced combat techniques as well :)).

P.S. A question to morfiend: what do you mean by 'connect our YouTube channel to the AH channel'? Do you have a link to Skuzzy's invitation (if it's on a forum post)?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 06:05:50 PM by Badger85 »
ENS Badger85 (Reserves)
VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers" : http://www.thejollyrogers.net
Aviation Blog : http://abovegroundlevel.org

"We were the corsairs of the Pacific conflict, and I believe we were the last of the corsairs." -George Grider

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 06:22:38 PM »

What topics for tutorials do you have in mind?

I was thinking the immediate next ones I would do would be "How to takeoff and land" and then "Basic Flight Maneuvers" such as High and Low Yo-Yo's, Immelman, and Split-s. beyond that, I'm not quite sure myself what I would do. Maybe some more advanced tutorials could be "The Merge", "BnZ fighting", "TnB fighting", and "The Different Pursuits"

Offline Badger85

• Copper Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 07:08:28 PM »
To add to that, my personal wish list for tutorials would be:

Fundamentals
Basic Flight Maneuvers (when to use coordinated/uncoordinated turns, proper rolls, barrel roll variations)
How to Retreat in a Losing Battle (alternatively, How to Get Out of Common Dangerous Situations)
How to Dive Bomb (or Do Ground Attack)
SA in the MA
How to Capture a Base (all steps explained)
How to Defend a Base
How to Attack a Carrier
Gunnery Course
How to Fly in Formation (with Different Formation Types)
How to Attack Bombers (although there already is a good video about this by 33vortex)

Advanced
Rolling Scissors Fighting
Conserving Energy in a Fight
Wingman Tactics (such topics as how to communicate, how to stay close to each other during a fight, how to cooperate as a pair with the flight/squadron, how to overwhelm an opponent's SA, etc.)
How to Fight Multiple Opponents
How to Organize/Lead Pickup Missions (including different types, such as a fighter sweep, CAP, base capture, etc.)
Psychology of a Dogfight
How to Race in a WWII Bird (for eXtreme Racing League)
ENS Badger85 (Reserves)
VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers" : http://www.thejollyrogers.net
Aviation Blog : http://abovegroundlevel.org

"We were the corsairs of the Pacific conflict, and I believe we were the last of the corsairs." -George Grider

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 07:39:07 PM »

How to Attack a Carrier

Answer: You don't. You wait until they foolishly park it 10ft off shore in front of a shore battery.  :D

In all seriousness though I tend to complete avoid all cvs as much as I can, and will continue to do so until something is done about the lazer accuracy of the puffy ack, so I honestly don't know how to attack carriers other than shore batteries, or taking in a low 190F8 with rockets when there is no one defending it from 5" guns.

The rest are all very good suggestions and I'll have to see what I can do about making a video for them.  :aok

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 11:03:07 PM »
Answer: You don't. You wait until they foolishly park it 10ft off shore in front of a shore battery.  :D

In all seriousness though I tend to complete avoid all cvs as much as I can, and will continue to do so until something is done about the lazer accuracy of the puffy ack, so I honestly don't know how to attack carriers other than shore batteries, or taking in a low 190F8 with rockets when there is no one defending it from 5" guns.

The rest are all very good suggestions and I'll have to see what I can do about making a video for them.  :aok
With a Stuka and and awesome wing man of course :)
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline 9thAFE

• Copper Member
      • 8th AAF Squadron Website
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 08:29:24 AM »
Great starting video Latrobe. I don't have much to add on the fighter front beyond just saying that as you gradually build up on the basics I would continue at the beginning anyway to really show what your doing and referring to the proper areas of the plane to kind of reinforce the concepts of the terminology and movement to make it a sort of muscle memory. I'm sure you have already thought of it but just in case. I think videos like this will go a long way in making the learning curve for flying fighters a little less steep.

:aok  :aok
8thBuff (CO)  8th AAF  "The Mighty 8th"  Squadron

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 09:13:29 AM »
Good work bud. Keep it up!  :salute
 :cheers:

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 03:22:27 PM »
I vote that HTC hire Latrobe to do all their tutorials!  :old:
XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 03:53:36 PM »
I vote that HTC hire Latrobe to do all their tutorials!  :old:

They'll be waiting a whole 2 weeks! (  ;) ;) nudge nudge ), as I am one lazy bum.  :D