Author Topic: Win10  (Read 880 times)

Offline maddog

• Nickel Member
Win10
« on: March 04, 2015, 07:30:31 AM »
Installed Win10 on old motherboard and cpu (vintage 1356 or something)... it boots off an old 400GB drive in 45 sec..... runs fast... I'm really starting to like it.. will try aces today...

Maddog

Offline save

• Gold Member
Re: Win10
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 02:42:46 PM »
I will test it on my Raspberry Pi 2 later, currently running Raspbian on it - darn fast !
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 08:19:26 PM »
I've wondered if anyone else has been using Win10 for gaming.  The free test thing ends on Apr15 they said - I'm considering putting together a couple new systems, I have a x99 being assembled, and Ripley has me interested in building the lowest end gaming PC for the $ I can after his thread, and making a short article of the build as well. 

Linus Tech tips recently had a junkyard scrap wars thing, and each built a 300$ system that performed pretty well, I'm going to do something similar and then perhaps give it/raffle it away to an AH player who needs a better or any system to play on.  I would like to try out Win10 on both, just wondering how the GPU drivers are and how it's been working on games especially AH from guys here before I decide to do it.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 08:38:49 PM »
It's not working with AH, as expected. I tried earlier today and it wouldn't open (though it's possible that it was just timing out and was still trying to load). Film viewer works though, so that's a plus.

The OS is very fast. When I tell it to do something, it does it almost right away (compared to XP which seems to take it's time to decide if it really want's to do what it's told or not). Though, when the system went into standby and I woke it back up it became sluggish.

I've been using the preview for the new version of word that's coming out with it. It's very nice, it's stripped down and simplified but there are some important features that aren't included that could really hurt it with customer reviews.

I like 10 enough that I'm going to buy a copy when it comes out, but I plan on making some upgrades to this computer first...

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 10:52:08 PM »
I've wondered if anyone else has been using Win10 for gaming.  The free test thing ends on Apr15 they said - I'm considering putting together a couple new systems, I have a x99 being assembled, and Ripley has me interested in building the lowest end gaming PC for the $ I can after his thread, and making a short article of the build as well. 

Linus Tech tips recently had a junkyard scrap wars thing, and each built a 300$ system that performed pretty well, I'm going to do something similar and then perhaps give it/raffle it away to an AH player who needs a better or any system to play on.  I would like to try out Win10 on both, just wondering how the GPU drivers are and how it's been working on games especially AH from guys here before I decide to do it.

I'm using Win10 in both the new machines I built. Works just as good as 8.1 if not better.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 07:46:04 AM »
I'm using Win10 in both the new machines I built. Works just as good as 8.1 if not better.

if you don't mind me asking, which version are you using currently?

I have not kept up or even begun to research anything regarding Win10 yet.... last thing I got in depth with was going through all the beta testing of windows 7 .......

has the windows 10 RC1 version even come out yet, or is it still in beta and updated revisions?  if so, which is the most stable currently

what is your thoughts on Windows Pro 8.1 verses windows 7 ultimate ( or Pro ) 64 bit ?  bout the same, better than, or worse than?

Thank You for your time , opinions/view and posting,

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 12:41:46 PM »
if you don't mind me asking, which version are you using currently?

I have not kept up or even begun to research anything regarding Win10 yet.... last thing I got in depth with was going through all the beta testing of windows 7 .......

has the windows 10 RC1 version even come out yet, or is it still in beta and updated revisions?  if so, which is the most stable currently

what is your thoughts on Windows Pro 8.1 verses windows 7 ultimate ( or Pro ) 64 bit ?  bout the same, better than, or worse than?

Thank You for your time , opinions/view and posting,

TC

I'm using Build 9926 at the moment. I really can't find any difference in reliability compared to 8.1 or even 7. There are newer release previews also released but I haven't tried them.

If you're looking for a permanent OS I would advise to get either a 7 or 8.1 - you'll get the free upgrade to 10 later.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 04:03:48 PM »
I'm using Build 9926 at the moment. I really can't find any difference in reliability compared to 8.1 or even 7. There are newer release previews also released but I haven't tried them.

If you're looking for a permanent OS I would advise to get either a 7 or 8.1 - you'll get the free upgrade to 10 later.

If you have a x86 OS, will they let you upgrade to an x64 OS or does it have to stay x86?

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 05:04:34 PM »
If you have a x86 OS, will they let you upgrade to an x64 OS or does it have to stay x86?

Usually the OSes come in both flavors. I believe you'll get the option to go x64.