Author Topic: Baisc Skins  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Baisc Skins
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 11:27:11 PM »
Don't forget that the chart does not show performance with the 20mm gondolas.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:29:47 PM by Devil 505 »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 01:29:48 AM »
BTW, this is a squadron symbol, that goes on the left side of the 199's nose

The "ד" is just two intersecting strait lines, right?

Yes something like T with its top moved to the left.

ד

More pictures :

This is a little bit different painting but gives an idea where the IAF symbols on wings are placed

Thanks!!!  :rock
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:43:17 AM by artik »
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 08:35:54 AM »
I have to admit I am a bit excited about flying this deathtrap in a scenario!  :D
XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'

Offline Kenne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 03:43:35 PM »
dont forget the octane rating triangle at the '11oc' of the star.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 06:07:55 PM by Kenne »
Women are like the Government. They have no problem that can't be solved by throwing money at it!
لقد حصلت على تذكرتين إلى الجنة

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 04:18:40 PM »
One thing about templates I learned...

If you need to change large parts of skin you don't need to redraw all the rivets... Use bump map.

- Create a selection of an area you want to completely redraw
- Copy selection to bump-map image (easy using quick-mask feature of GIMP)
- Copy the rivets part from bump-map to the original skin image

Now you have perfect gray color set of rivets and other aircraft lines without any colors.

Now 3 skins I already completed

And I must admit I really like how REAF Macchi C.205 looks

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 12:07:25 AM »
In IL-2 the templates are widely shared, usually in the same folder as the skin you download.  In AH, Skin templates are highly protected by their owners (it does take quite the time & effort to make one.  Just a difference in the two communities I guess.  I'm not a skinner, so I have no templates to hand out, but when it comes to anything else I do (sounds, terrains, etc.) I'm always more thann happy to share with anyone who asks.  Keeps the community tighter that way in my eyes. :salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 12:55:51 AM »
In IL-2 the templates are widely shared, usually in the same folder as the skin you download.  In AH, Skin templates are highly protected by their owners (it does take quite the time & effort to make one.  Just a difference in the two communities I guess.  I'm not a skinner, so I have no templates to hand out, but when it comes to anything else I do (sounds, terrains, etc.) I'm always more thann happy to share with anyone who asks.  Keeps the community tighter that way in my eyes. :salute

To be honest, as somebody who is part of both IL-2 and AH2 community, I find AH2 community much more open.

Now about the templates. From a skin to skin my "performance" in skinning improves. And I figured that you do not really need templates (I created the 3 skins above without any templates). The first "problem" in re-skinning was to get all the fine structures like service doors, lines of rivets etc correctly. However, given the B/W bump mapping texture it is very easy - you already have B/W pattern of rivets, doors and other fine structures. You only need to copy them. This way I skinned P-51D and C205, and it was quite fast job to do. I spend more time on fine grained painting details as how to get all the insignia correctly, put correct tail numbers, get correct colors, and squadron symbols and of course get the appropriate and accurate sources.

Collecting and verifying sources sometimes takes much longer time. In many cases there are no original photos of the aircraft only some paining schema from doubtful sources - so you just go and recheck against 2-3 other sources before you can assume that they are correct.

For example IAF B-17 would be quite hard to get correctly. There is a one B/W photo of tail marking. The rest are drawings of the same aircraft with the same tail number but with contradicting colors.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 01:05:52 AM by artik »